Thread: RPGCast - Episode 274: "Ron Perlman's Great Cast"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 274: "Ron Perlman's Great Cast"

Podcasting. Podcasting never changes. Kind of like Nintendo's 3rd party support. Or perhaps the game market for OSX. Also, let's be real, Pokémon may have Mega Evolutions now, but those games never change either.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/274

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Ron Perlman's Great Cast"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

is it just me or is there no audio in the podcast other than the opening music?

Nope, I had the same experience.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Same here, there's no audio other than the opening and closing music.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Yep. Something got b0rked somewhere...

/me blames Twitch for no apparent reason
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Nice fade out of the opening theme music into 1 1/2 hours of nothingness...

EDIT: All Fixed Now! Please redownload if you need to, and let us know if you have any issues.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You know, Manny's "little things" diatribe reminds me of Mario Party 8. For those who've forgotten, the UK version had to be recalled because no one spotted the use of the word "spastic" until post-release. Of course, the problem was probably "Well, it's in English, should work across the board," not realizing that the word "spastic" is a bit more charged in the UK than in the US (and thus, just slapping the US translation without any regional editing wasn't going to work). While creators should be allowed to create, it never hurts to listen to your regional office when they say "heeeeeey, is it completely necessary to the game to have this bit that might be considered rampantly offensive to the people here? Because if it is, we'll defend it, but it might not be the best idea to leave it there if it isn't."

At the end of the day, localization is not simple translating text and/or voice and calling it a day. It's making sure that the creative vision is carried on in its purest form. Having consultants, and listening to them, isn't a bad thing.

As to RTS, while it's obvious that turn-based strategy is much better than real-time on the consoles, didn't people like the console versions of X-Com: Enemy Unknown?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Sometimes I feel, Is it really that hard to hire a couple of talented people to spot the various obvious mistakes to avoid minor PR disasters for international release. In many cases, fans do such a good job they should maybe just find these people and hire them as freelancers. (I've probably made a few points that Manny pointed out in that case it means I agree).
    The other thing I picked up in the podcast was that Anna mentioned the Cthulu saves the world enhanced edition kickstarter. I recently picked up and played through CSTW and Death of Breath titles bundles and enjoyed the injoke fest, the bromides, the director's cut so I'm really stoked about it!

In North America, yes, Digimon came first. In Japan though, Pokemon debuted first, in 1996. The Digimon virtual pet things were first released in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    In North America, yes, Digimon came first. In Japan though, Pokemon debuted first, in 1996. The Digimon virtual pet things were first released in 1997.
    Hmm, was it? I would have sworn Digimon was first in Japan (maybe in development longer or something?)

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Hmm, was it? I would have sworn Digimon was first in Japan (maybe in development longer or something?)
    Checking wiki, the first Digimon pet things (similar to Tamagochis) were released in 1997, so yes, we made the wrong call there.

In the UK, Pokemon aired on TV first, prompting this rather hilarious crossdressing attempt on SMTV from Dec of Ant and Dec:

The first season of Digimon aired a while after, it may have even had Pokemon's old Saturday morning slot.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Still better though :P Not sure it had the morning slot, I definitely remember watching the first two series in the afternoons after school though.

And ah SMTV, also home of the alternate Pokérap. Which no one needs to look any further into.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I don't know about the length of Digimon's development, but Satoshi Taijri and the others at Game Freak first pitched the idea of Pokemon to Nintendo back in 1990. I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon took longer, considering it was some six years before Red and Green Versions were actually released.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm surprised no here is talking about the whole "HD assets killing gaming" thing. Personally, I'm absolutely of the camp that HD gaming is killing gaming in the home space.

The PC is well and truly dead as a platform for high-spec games. The platform seems more about indies rehashing NES-era ideas with some refinement. Meanwhile, the "major" games are now mostly console ports, with only RTS, MMO and MOBA games for PC elitists to truly call their own.

Consoles have gotten even more mainstream, but now we have more and more publishers doubling down on obscenely high budgets. However, rather than improving gameplay systems or trying out new ideas, most of the money goes into HD assets to appease the graphics *****s. As an aside, I find it hilarious that Chris would even jokingly accuse someone else of being such a person.

Thus, we have the current games market. Games get more samey, and rather than broadening out, the audience narrows to dudebros, because 90% of games on shelves are trying to be Call of Duty rather than finding their own damned market. The irony, of course, is that Call of Duty games have never had the highest-fidelity art in them, but that's completely lost on the myriad me-toos that have flooded the market, resulting in a noise-to-signal ratio that makes it difficult to make a name for oneself.

The only hope left, oddly enough, is Japan. Because they've always focused less on photo-realism and more on extravagant stylistic presentation, it's easier to cut a few corners here and there graphically and present something different. Granted, Japan has its own issues, most notably a glut of Monster Hunter clones and Square Enix's continued adoption of every poor Western development habit they could find, but when older developers start leaving, I can see Japan figuring out profitability long before the West does.

As to western publishers, however, the only hope is that the public doesn't embrace 4K televisions. If that tech takes off, then we'll see even more ballooning budgets, and the market for games outside of iOS throwaways will become completely unattainable for 90% of developers.

I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    I don't know if it's HD in itself that is "to blame". At least I don't think it's necessarily to do with assets/graphics being more HD. Seems to me that it's more that in general all the programming and features have become a lot more complicated purely because the consoles actually have the power to start doing these things. The more layers of complexity that get added a lot easier it is to encounter difficulties that increase both time and cost. This is where the various tricks that just gave the suggestion of something have an advantage, it's often an awful lot easier to suggest something than to actually do it. There seems to be concentration on doing these more complex things for real so these are getting the most attention while also being more problematic, and less trying to expand the tricks to the next level.

For example, say an NPC follows an exact pre-planned route/routine - Gives an impression of being in a living world, however, a player can start noticing these patterns and it breaks the immersion. But it doesn't require too much programming, so doesn't use many resources and it's very unlikely to go wrong.
    NPC has AI-esque behaviour patterns - Isn't set to endlessly repeat so gives a considerably better "immersion" value if players start following them around. However, this is a LOT more difficult to implement, requires more processing power, and is more liable to go wrong. And when it does go wrong it has a habit of going wrong in an incredibly noticeable, but at least often amusing, way.

So here are example of expanding the trick is to maybe instead of having one pre-set pattern, have multiple that all start and end at the same point. That way it can either cycle through or randomise the patterns and result in the advantages but be somewhat closer to the impressive AI-driven world. This is just me typing whatever came into my head so no idea if what I said works/makes sense.
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 08-12-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)