Thread: Project Phoenix Burns Up Kickstarter

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Project Phoenix Burns Up Kickstarter

Can Kickstarter do for JRPGs what it has done for traditional WRPGs made by industry veterans? Project Phoenix aims to find out, and the results so far are quite promising.

We're aware the pitch is a bit vague on the exact game mechanics, but it's of interest as a "JRPG hybrid thingie" at least that is centered in Japan coming onto Kickstarter and making a splash. Note that covering a game is not an endorsement of said game by the RPGamer staff.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 08-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Ooh. This looks highly interesting.

It does sound like a promising idea, in theory, but it is more than a bit vague regarding gameplay mechanics. Right now their pitch is essentially , "Hey look at the big names we have working on this game. Give us MONEY!" (And of course this pitch seems to be working well, for the time being). But all we've really been told about the combat system is that it is real-time and that characters will "behave intelligently when not under player's direct control". What I want to know is, will have any input as to how the 3 characters we're not controlling behave? ( i.e., the gambit system in FFXII or the tactics setup in Dragon Age: Origins). I hope for some explanation and not just promises that it will be innovative and tactical. How can the combat be "tactical" if 3/4 of your party is controlled by AI? An RPG with RTS elements could certainly work out well (see: Growlanser), but they haven't given us any real indication what Phoenix's system will play like. It sounds like the guy who is in charge of the developing the battle system is most well known for working on LA Noire, so what does he know about designing a decent RPG battle? Moreover, it is always disappointing to me when I see RPG developers dismiss turn-based systems as "archaic"; as if being a real-time "action RPG" automatically means it will be a superior game.

Also, the basic story synopsis they've given us sounds cliche as can be. An amnesiac angel has to join 3 other heroes to stop the evil orcs from destroying mankind. Really? That's the best this talented team could come up with? Now, certainly it's possible that they have some ideas that will keep this from becoming the most generic JRPG ever, but so far I'm not convinced.
    Last edited by daveyd; 08-15-2013 at 08:45 AM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yeah, I gotta agree with dave, nothing here is convincing me. You'd think people would learn after the Double Fine fiasco, but it seems that huge names are all you need to have gamers throw money at you.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Or big NAME and the appearance of other big names.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I'm not crazy about RTS's.
    GrimGrim was the closest I ever got to the category.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
    An RPG with RTS elements could certainly work out well (see: Growlanser),
    I would totally be on board if it played like Growlanser, but it won't. Growlanser is a turn-based JRPG series with only some real-time elements--basically, the way your characters move across the map. Other than that, you must issue orders via menu commands, and the auto-attack is based on charge times. So Growlanser is essentially 2D FF12 without gambits. Growlaner 5 and 6 edge a little further toward real-time, but are still fundamentally turn-based.

it is always disappointing to me when I see RPG developers dismiss turn-based systems as "archaic"; as if being a real-time "action RPG" automatically means it will be a superior game.
    This was a big red flag for me, as well. I just can't take seriously anyone who calls turn-based "archaic". Especially given all of the nonsense at the beginning of the pitch video about paying homage to "old-school".

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Or big NAME and the appearance of other big names.
    you say that like the key to kickstarter to success is something other than to say 'hi I'm [famous-ish designer], I'd like to make a game that is very much like [title from ten to twenty years ago] I need a few hundred thousand dollars'.

not funding, not because i dont want to but i have blacklisted kickstarter and thier lack of enforcing their tos and letting obvious scams get through because they are scared of bad publicity

game looks ok but im not betting on it, i do say that i dont believe it would have failed to make it to 100k but the rate its going is 100% due to the big names involved not the project itself
    Last edited by AncientRune; 08-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.