Thread: Realms of Arkania Encounters Launch Glitches

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Realms of Arkania Encounters Launch Glitches

Many games require a day-one patch in this modern era, but Realms of Arkania has launched with a two-month patch plan. We've provided some of the details as a public service to our readers.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I like that it's come to the point where they can say, "Yeah, we should've waited to launch... but the publisher said no. You can get the non-broken version around when we should've launched."

A while back GameFAQs had this interesting poll asking what gamers think has been the biggest downfall of this generation. There were the usual annoyances like DRM and microtransactions, and most people chose those options, but another option was the lack of quality control. That was my choice, mainly because of dumb things like this.

This is a PC game, so it would have launched as an alpha regardless.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    This is a PC game, so it would have launched as an alpha regardless.
    I was about to say. While console gaming has generally improved from the aggressive rushes of the 360 launch, PC gaming is so entrenched in the "why bugtest when we can patch?" mentality that PC game launches are generally beyond hope.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I was about to say. While console gaming has generally improved from the aggressive rushes of the 360 launch, PC gaming is so entrenched in the "why bugtest when we can patch?" mentality that PC game launches are generally beyond hope.
    Depends on the game. I see lots of smaller titles launch entirely playable. I know I didn't hit any bugs that I recall in Recettear or Dungeons of Dredmor. Dredmor seemed to release more free content over time, if anything.

Perhaps larger corporate entities are beholden to financial reports, etc. and release on certain dates regardless.

I'd also note that people get very nostalgia-goggled for old games, and forget that while playable there were things like the evade bug in Final Fantasy 6's release that rendered an entire set of items useless (and made the "blind" status mostly a non-factor).

Or going further back... none of the "bonus damage" weapons on Final Fantasy did anything.

I wouldn't say that the PC gets a bad rap exactly (Daggerfall anyone?), but some developers are much better about this than others.
    Last edited by Jitawa; 08-17-2013 at 06:02 PM.

I'd also note that people get very nostalgia-goggled for old games, and forget that while playable there were things like the evade bug in Final Fantasy 6's release that rendered an entire set of items useless (and made the "blind" status mostly a non-factor).

Or going further back... none of the "bonus damage" weapons on Final Fantasy did anything.
    Apples and oranges, if you think about it. Those bugs didn't really impact the game and you can enjoy FF6 just fine. Compare that to falling through the floors in various Assassin's Creed games just as you're about to finish a tough mission, or that bug, introduced in a patch, that made Skyrim unplayable for three months until patch 1.4, or any of the other various freezes and weirdness you commonly see in every game these days.

I very rarely encountered anything like that all those years ago. The only offender I remember was FF: Mystic Quest's constant freezing in a couple dungeons, but people generally avoided that game anyway.

Game-breakers do seem to happen more on PC and your Ubi/Bethsoft/EA releases. I'll give you that. Though I think some of those old FF bugs are pretty bad from a QA and mechanics perspective (not something I recall in old Wizardry games, for example).

Maybe so, but from what I gathered, you had to LEARN how to use those bugs and glitches. A whole bunch of bugs you have to trigger doesn't count. You didn't just run across them, not like with today's games where bugs and glitches are so darn common (and no fair singling out EA/Ubi/Beth; they're all bad, although I've noticed Japanese made games are much less likely to bug out). Granted, newer games are much more complicated, but that doesn't change the fact I rarely came across bugs back in the day. Maybe the odd graphical glitch, or a freeze here and there, but that's about it.

Depends on what you mean by "learn" how to use them. The evade bug in FF6 meant things like goggles (blindness protection) did nothing for the most part because the affliction did nothing. This wouldn't be immediately apparent. Similiar, other armors/accessories that boosted evade effectively did nothing for you. You didn't have to try to find that bug, it found you. The stats that were listed were plain-wrong. You could learn to "abuse" it I guess, by stacking magic evade, but that's something of a separate affair.

(note: blindness actually DOES prevent Strago from learning enemy abilities, it just doesn't come up much)

Obviously, something like that isn't game-breaking like a Daggerfall bug that makes a game unfinishable or frequent crashing. However, if wer're merely talking "Quality Assurance", then having a larger mechanic (the ability to evade attacks, ailments which impact that, etc.) completely missing or broken is something of a factor. We would like our games to ship both without game-breakers AND without missing mechanics.

Yes, I understand how that can be annoying, and yes, it's a shame stuff like that got through, but it's not remotely as annoying as the kind of things you see today. Certainly not annoying enough to warrant an accusation of wearing nostalgia goggles.

Depends on what you mean by "learn" how to use them.
    Some people like to say certain games are horribly buggy, but when they list examples, they describe glitches you need to trigger yourself by doing something you probably would never have thought of doing on your own. In the case of games that are buggy in both ways, such as KotoR 2, then sure, that's bad. But I don't consider a game full of exploits, but very little in the way of gameplay destroying bugs, to be "buggy". Exploitable, sure, but not buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Yes, I understand how that can be annoying, and yes, it's a shame stuff like that got through, but it's not remotely as annoying as the kind of things you see today. Certainly not annoying enough to warrant an accusation of wearing nostalgia goggles.

Some people like to say certain games are horribly buggy, but when they list examples, they describe glitches you need to trigger yourself by doing something you probably would never have thought of doing on your own. In the case of games that are buggy in both ways, such as KotoR 2, then sure, that's bad. But I don't consider a game full of exploits, but very little in the way of gameplay destroying bugs, to be "buggy". Exploitable, sure, but not buggy.
    I enjoyed abusing the level-up glitch in the original KoTOR. I assumed you meant that kind of "fun" glitch.

I used the evasion one because it always struck me as big, but the older games had game-breakers too. The sketch glitch comes to mind (also FF6) since it could crash the game or erase your save data. You didn't have to do anything particularly special for that one.

The evasion bit was sort of revisited in FF7 as well, as that game has a magic defense bug (the armor stat does nothing). Mostly I think that game QA definitely needs more focus, but I think that's been true for sometime as well.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post

I wouldn't say that the PC gets a bad rap exactly (Daggerfall anyone?), but some developers are much better about this than others.
    Hah, half the NES era games was learning now to play through the bugs! I definitely think that there's some nostalgia when people talked about how much better everything was in the old days. Nowadays you only really get broken software on a regular basis with, as you mention later, Ubi/EA/Bethsoft, because those companies have made it clear they care very little about quality. Ninety percent of modern console games NOT by these companies are fully playable out the box, and since those three put out remarkably little I care about, patching on consoles really doesn't effect me.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.