Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Wii U-turn -- Currents

  1. #1
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Saint John, NB
    Posts
    350

    Wii U-turn -- Currents

    In this issue of RPGamer's Currents, Xbox One's Kinect can be turned off, a new Mana title has been trademarked, the Sonic Cycle threatens another game, and people freak out about the Wii U. Oh, and we want to know what you think of the Wii U too.

    CURRENTS
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

  2. #2
    Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    10x10 room with treasure chest
    Posts
    1,031
    for the wii-u, it's just a question of building a library of games, which all the slow starters you've mentioned have done. but right now its prospects are as a nintendo box, which the big N could leverage into a success if they really pump out their IP/launch new games as a publisher.

    I can never tell which is sadder, the fans caught in the sonic cycle or the shenmue 3 hopers and dreamers.

  3. #3
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,780
    First off, I think it's far too disingenuous to point to the Wii when talking about the Wii U, and I mean that for both sides of the debate. The Wii was a cultural phe... You know what, I'm not gonna be politically correct here, it was a fad. People bought it in the stupidly large numbers they did because it caught the imagination of the Oprah Winfrey types, and the low software sales in comparison to hardware point to that. Most of the people buying it bought it for Wii Sports and were done. Now, Nintendo made money off the hardware, so they weren't as concerned with the fact that they owned the closet space as opposed to the spot under the TV. Nintendo abandoned the core gamer to the point where we had to beg for months on end for three of the biggest RPGs on the system.

    The Wii U is not going to have Oprah Winfrey going nuts about it, simply because touchpads aren't the brand-spanking-new gimmick that motion controls were back in 2006. However, Nintendo was so stupidly arrogant in the assumption they'd struck lightning twice that the Wii U's launch lineup was severely lacking much of interest, no doubt because they expected Nintendo Land to be the next Wii Sports. This has led to a disastrous first year of nearly nothing worth playing, with little on the horizon. I know the only reason I have one was because I was afraid both next-gen competitors were jumping off the DRM cliff, and I'm not alone in that being my reason.

    That said, Nintendo has proven they can turn things around once given a sufficient serving of crow. While the days of Nintendo venturing outside of hardware gimmicks and 20-year-old franchises are well and truly dead, the games they make are of high quality and, more often than not, intelligently designed. If they get the idea of ever matching the Wii again out of their heads, they can turn the Wii U into the pride of any gamer's library with expertly crafted fan favorites.

    So yeah, I'm expecting the Wii U to become another "third place, but highly profitable" system (the other being, of course, the Cube) by the time it's all said and done, especially if they can deliver games at a more steady clip post-Super Mario 3D World.

    Regards to the "Sonic Cycle," can we please put that to rest, at least for now? The last two major releases for the series, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, turned out to be great games. We're a long way out from when Sonic 06 was the best Sonic Team could do.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 08-15-2013 at 12:48 PM.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  4. #4
    The Gratitude Pokemon Shaymin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dartmouth, New Sealand, Canada
    Posts
    1,028
    I bought a WiiU back before E3 because I had a suspicion that the Deluxe Digital promo was going to end at E3 with a price drop, and wanted to get both. I turned out to be wrong, but I've enjoyed Mario U (which I found for $15 preowned), Luigi U, Pikmin 3 and a lot of the download goodness.

    Plus, it was either pay $300 for Earthbound or $360 for Earthbound and a brand new console. /shrug
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

  5. #5
    Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,768
    I had plans to buy a Wii U along with Pikmin 3, but things came up that I couldn't spare the money and I realized: Nintendo isn't in any danger. The Wii U won't be reaching it's predecessor's numbers, but so what? The Game Cube was still a success and there were several games I enjoyed on that console. I'll get one in an undetermined number of months, but it doesn't have to be now.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

  6. #6
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    I had plans to buy a Wii U along with Pikmin 3, but things came up that I couldn't spare the money and I realized: Nintendo isn't in any danger. The Wii U won't be reaching it's predecessor's numbers, but so what? The Game Cube was still a success and there were several games I enjoyed on that console. I'll get one in an undetermined number of months, but it doesn't have to be now.
    See, that's what I'm saying. People are comparing a fad (Wii) to normal, post-SNES Nintendo (N64, Cube). For me, I've seen no reason at all that Nintendo can't pull a Cube on us and end up earning gobs more money than the "winning" consoles by the end of it all.

    You ask me, Nintendo could do even better by giving up on 3rd parties and increasing internal development to make up for the genres they lack on their system.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  7. #7
    Member Jormungand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    You ask me, Nintendo could do even better by giving up on 3rd parties and increasing internal development to make up for the genres they lack on their system.
    I disagree. Nintendo can't rely solely on Monolith and Intelligent Systems for RPGs. I think they should continue to build relationships with specific developers to improve their RPG genre presence.

  8. #8
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    I disagree. Nintendo can't rely solely on Monolith and Intelligent Systems for RPGs. I think they should continue to build relationships with specific developers to improve their RPG genre presence.
    No one said anything about relying on existing development houses. They need to expand, make their software lineup more diverse, maybe make a few dummy labels like Disney does so that casuals aren't complaining about Nintendo making FPSes. Welcome what 3rd party support you can get, but it has to be with the understanding that it will never be more than token offerings, especially on the home console. One need only look at the fact that Call of Duty: Ghosts on Wii U is going to be a port by Treyarch* to see that the days of Nintendo ever being even a minor focus of major 3rd-parties are long, long gone.

    (*: For the record, I think Treyarch's CoD games are superior to IW's. However, if you think Treyarch are going to take their best talent off Black Ops III or whatever they're doing instead of tossing the Ghosts port off to the B team like they did with Modern Warfare on the Wii, you're high)

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  9. #9
    I'm waiting until next summer(maybe earlier at the end of this year if there is a good black friday deal or nice holiday bundle) to buy a Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Sonic: Lost Worlds, The Wonderful 101, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, and Smash Bros. are all on my radar. Of course there is also NSMBU and Pikmin 3 that are already out. X looks gorgeous from the little bit I've seen and I like MS but I need to see more of that game to be on the hype wagon. SMT x Fire Emblem could be promising as well but I won't hold my breath on that one(especially since the sale of Index/Atlus might affect the game) yet either.

  10. #10
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    I'm waiting until next summer(maybe earlier at the end of this year if there is a good black friday deal or nice holiday bundle) to buy a Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Sonic: Lost Worlds, The Wonderful 101, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, and Smash Bros. are all on my radar. Of course there is also NSMBU and Pikmin 3 that are already out. X looks gorgeous from the little bit I've seen and I like MS but I need to see more of that game to be on the hype wagon. SMT x Fire Emblem could be promising as well but I won't hold my breath on that one(especially since the sale of Index/Atlus might affect the game) yet either.
    With the possible exception of Smash, I'm excited for every game you mentioned. However, they represent Nintendo's biggest problem in the broader market. With the possible exception of Bayonetta 2, nothing in that linup is going to be changing anyone's mind about the system. Nintendo preaching to the choir is fine, but at some point, they're going to have to start converting new people to the flock.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  11. #11
    Member Cidolfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,515
    I only buy one console per generation. It's been all three PlayStations so far, and sadly, this generation I seriously misfired by getting a PS3 instead of a Wii. The only game for the PS3 I seriously enjoyed was Heavy Rain. I just might pick up a Wii U if only for the ability to play all the Wii games I missed. (Then again, I'd still like to play all the Gamecube games I missed, so maybe I should just pick up a Wii.)

  12. #12
    Member TheAnimeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, New mexico
    Posts
    2,569
    Ever since you shared teh first smooth mcgroove I have fallen in love with his work
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

  13. #13
    Can't you hear the drums? SuccessorM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    I'm waiting until next summer(maybe earlier at the end of this year if there is a good black friday deal or nice holiday bundle) to buy a Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Sonic: Lost Worlds, The Wonderful 101, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta, and Smash Bros. are all on my radar. Of course there is also NSMBU and Pikmin 3 that are already out. X looks gorgeous from the little bit I've seen and I like MS but I need to see more of that game to be on the hype wagon. SMT x Fire Emblem could be promising as well but I won't hold my breath on that one(especially since the sale of Index/Atlus might affect the game) yet either.
    I'm with Pimpalicious here, though I hope I can land a good Wii U deal this year 'round Black Friday this year. My 3DS has treated my very well since getting it. Givent its slow burn, I'm willing to trust that Nitendo will follow suit here, I just didn't trust them enough to have a strong launch. However, all of the upcoming titles (especially Sonic: Lost World, Bayonetta 2, and Wonderful 101) have me quite excited for eventually earning one. Due to the eventual drought of launch games that interest me and lack of backwards compatibility of the other systems, I plan to keep current with Wii U games, catch up on a my Wii backlouge (Pandora's Tower is just sitting on my self), and catch up with my PS3 and PC backlouge. I think this will keep me busy for a year or two while the other consoles come into their own.

  14. #14
    according to a thread on neogaf the rise of mana trademark is for TV/Mobile games which we can assume means its going to be more bs from SE. As for the wii u they need better software, a name change, a price cut, and to forget about the gamepad. they need to rebrand the whole thing so people dont think its just a wii add on or a hand held.

  15. #15
    For the Wii U, there just aren't enough games I want yet. That and the price is still higher than my buy-in price is.

    I didn't get a Wii until 2009, I didn't get a 3DS until January, and I didn't get a PS3 until last week. At this point I honestly can't think of any system I owned within at least a year or two after launch. I will start considering a Wii U when there are more games and the price point is near $200. My backlog is big enough that it can wait, quite awhile. Next summer will be the very earliest I even start paying attention.

  16. #16
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    according to a thread on neogaf the rise of mana trademark is for TV/Mobile games which we can assume means its going to be more bs from SE. As for the wii u they need better software, a name change, a price cut, and to forget about the gamepad. they need to rebrand the whole thing so people dont think its just a wii add on or a hand held.
    Sooo basically it's beyond hope?

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  17. #17
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Saint John, NB
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Ever since you shared teh first smooth mcgroove I have fallen in love with his work
    I'm so glad! He's a pretty amazing singer.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

  18. #18
    Veteran RPGamer watcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,177
    There's only two or three games on or slated for the WiiU that I consider of interest right now, and I already own Earthbound...So Nintendo has a lot to do before I venture their way again.

    Honestly, I think the Wii was a fluke as far as console sales go for Nintendo and creating a console that further complicates game design and programming is going to continue to steer away third party development. I'm sure their first party titles will keep them afloat, but the big N is probably in for lean times as far as business success goes this generation.

  19. #19
    Member TheAnimeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, New mexico
    Posts
    2,569
    I got a Wii U last year for Christmas and although not many games for it yet that we're interested in there are some coming. Also add in the fact we have teh Wii games to play on it and the store too it's no so bad.

    Honestly the whole thing with the Xbox One is just them trying to cover their ***'s. I'm glad to see my final sticking point going awhile as to why i'm not getting one but I still wanna wait till they fix up their issues with the system itself first
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

  20. #20
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    I got a Wii U last year for Christmas and although not many games for it yet that we're interested in there are some coming. Also add in the fact we have teh Wii games to play on it and the store too it's no so bad.
    Even if I didn't have my issues with digital, I'd advise against the store. Nintendo, in their infinite wisdom, has once again decided to bind purchases to individual hardware as opposed to an account. Therefore, if anything happens to your Wii U, GOOD LUCK getting those digital games back.

    Honestly the whole thing with the Xbox One is just them trying to cover their ***'s. I'm glad to see my final sticking point going awhile as to why i'm not getting one but I still wanna wait till they fix up their issues with the system itself first
    I still have the issue that it's $100 more expensive than the PS4 because it still has the Kinect in the box. And yeah, being burned by early 360 hardware would keep me away even then, at least until the S version came out.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •