Thread: RPGCast - Episode 275: "Catroom"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 275: "Catroom"

RPGCast - Episode 275: "Catroom"

The saviors of the JRPG genre are here! All backers receive early access to the alpha of Jon Yearworth Plays Some Mech Games. $10,000 donators get get their own NPC designed after Chris's cats. Call now, operators are standing by!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/275

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Catroom"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I haven't even listened to the podcast yet and I'm so pumped for this Jon Yearworth Plays Some Mech Games kickstarter, In fact I haven't been so debilitatingly and rabidly psyched since Lusipurrs fountain of perpetual dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Jon Yearworth Plays Some Mech Games
    Hmm, give me a couple of days with my HDMI capture card, maybe I can upload something to youtube or something.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A few problems with the news, Chris. Atelier Rorona never came out for the Vita, and I get the feeling that the Vita release is the main reason for this remake. The game's PS3 follow-ups (Totori and Meruru) have since received Vita releases, but Rorona did not. Atelier Totori was just a simple port to the Vita (it was that stealth release earlier this year . . . it just appeared on the PS store with no advance warning), while Atelier Meruru got a more robust makeover for its Vita release.

And that omni-directional treadmill you seemed perplexed about is designed to work hand-in-hand with a VR setup like the Oculus Rift . . . so while you're "inside" the VR environment, using the treadmill to move around (instead of a gamepad or keyboard) makes for a much more authentic, immersive VR experience. At least that's the impression I get (and maybe you already knew all of this and I mis-interpreted your reaction to it). I've seen a few videos of people using these things, and while they may make for a unique gaming experience, anyone using them looks absolutely ridiculous.

I have to disagree with Anna's assessment about the Xenoblade Chronicles thing.

Not to mention there's a large difference between individual sellers and a multinational corporation that somehow is able to get a new print run of the game after not having it for so long, only to have them sold at an inflated price.

It reeks, Anna.

Sorry, bottom line the issue I have with the story is, as I said on the podcast, GameStop can't print games. If someone shows me decisive evidence they do, I will stand corrected. Now, could they have hoarded new copies to ensure they could make money off used Yes -- but c'mon, business 101 tells us they had no certain way of knowing the game would spike in price and an item sitting in their warehouse costs them money. GS is a monster for profit, so I have a hard time seeing such action fitting into their business model.

Does it reek they are seriously overcharging? Of course it does, and of course people want to find a reason for it. But I'm not sure why an individual seller gets more leeway to hike a game price than a company. There's a lot of other reasons to think GS is crap, this one just stinks of too many falsehoods to be a real story.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Whether its rational or not, a lot of people find it dirty when a large company charges more than MSRP for a product. Maybe its cause you can dismiss a single individual as just greedy rather than a large Corp. that you may have some sort of brand loyalty to.

I get that its an emotional response, but none the less I think its one a lot of Americans share. I think thats the reasoning behind the reaction. Thats my theory anyway.
    Last edited by risingsun; 08-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Gamestop didn't reprint them. They got a third party, Games quest direct, to do it for them. The neogaf thread that had a picture of both an original and a reprinted case of the game showed some discrepancies that disprove that they were simply sitting on those copies, and I'd share the link with you, but, neogaf is down at the moment. I'll edit this post when it comes back.

Hahahaha, good old GQD.

For those not familiar with the company, they've been around nearly ten years at this point. They purchase the rights to print a certain number of copies of a game once the original publisher's stock is cleaned out, which they are permitted to sell to retailers; anything "not saleable" (their definition) is then sold off on ebay -- basically, they hold back a certain number and sell them off on indivdual ebay and amazon accounts to ensure to value stays stable. In reality, these new games are sold off to multiple vendors -- GameStop being only one of many -- and then sold as good as new / used for an elevated price. It's actually how NA saw a second and third print run of the original Disgaea on PS2, at least in Canada.

Yeah, there was an interesting article about them from around 2006

http://www.siliconera.com/2006/01/16...s-of-reprints/

An interesting article, although I still have qualms about what are essentially new games being sold as used for the higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I still have qualms about what are essentially new games being sold as used for the higher price.
    Not even essentially new games. They ARE new games. GameStop's being screwed by perception on both ends -- people don't want them selling unwrapped games as new but get pissed off when they sell like new games as used.

GQD gets a lot of heat because they drag down the collector's value of a game -- though frankly I can't side with people who buy 10 copies of a rare game and then gouge ebay buyers any more than I can respect a company that does the same. The problem is, of course, GameStop has no qualms about buying up their lots (which may or may not be shrink wrapped) and popping them onto shelves used.

Yeah. I mean, from a consumer perspective, I want my 'new' games unadulterated, and I want the cheapest version I can get. Gamestop makes more money off used games, but this is one of the rare situations where selling a new game as used actually benefits them more than selling as new due to MSRP.

As a consumer, I want the cheapest option and I don't think they are right to do what they are doing, but I'd rather not see any sort of regulation stopping them. I'd prefer they get all they hate they are getting over it and solve the issue responsibly on their own. They won't, but still.

I'm personally done with Gamestop altogether.

Holy crap! I remember reading that article! I knew GQD sounded familiar.

The sign of a reprint is that the game case looks like one the WiiU would have, with "Nintendo" printed above the disc instead of "Wii". They also had working Club Nintendo codes which a truly preowned copy would be less likely to have.

However, GS did also do a massive blitz trying to get people to trade their copies in - at one point, I think they were offering within a couple of dollars of MSRP. And they were calling people who bought the game to try and get them to trade it in. The same thing happened with Metroid Prime Trilogy, which is now also for sale at $85 or thereabouts. So it's a little from column A and a little from column B.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Yeah, it was 35 or 40 bucks of trade-in credit, which they've done before. I remember when KH1 was selling for 90 bucks new in Canada around launch, the trade in value was something like 50 or 55.