Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 99 - Flight of the Valkyria

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 99 - Flight of the Valkyria

Word of mouth built about a tactical title Sega released, enough to justify two sequels so far. The company's handling of the new franchise has spawned many strong feelings, and a lot of them come forth in this episode.
    Darn those panzers.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    This is it! The last podcast before out big 100th show blowout!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Just as a note to why you played Fire Emblem: Awakening on classic despite restarting: the way I see it, casual would make the game too easy. If you run the risk of permanently losing a character, you'll play more cautiously. If it doesn't matter who dies, you can just bum rush teh maps without giving it careful thought.

Of course, that's just the way I see it. Maybe you guys see it differently.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

You make a very compelling argument, Strawberry.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Just as a note to why you played Fire Emblem: Awakening on classic despite restarting: the way I see it, casual would make the game too easy. If you run the risk of permanently losing a character, you'll play more cautiously. If it doesn't matter who dies, you can just bum rush teh maps without giving it careful thought.

Of course, that's just the way I see it. Maybe you guys see it differently.
    Well I didn't realize this but I think the way it works in Awakening is if you play on casual you still lose the character for a battle or a number of battles, so I guess there's still some caution required? Then again if the restriction means you can just do a few random easy battles to get them back then I guess it wouldn't require caution at all.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Actually I'm pretty sure it's Valkyria Chronicles 2 that does the sitting out for a few battles thing (if you don't withdraw them in time), in Fire Emblem Awakening I believe they can fight the next battle straight away (that's what I remember happening anyway)
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Severin is correct.

I like Casual because I hate perma-character-death. I still play cautiously and strategically, but Casual lets me keep playing even if I lose somebody due to bad luck or surprise reinforcement buffoonery. Awakening was the first FE I finished, because in earlier games I'd get bogged down by the lengthy battles near the end in which I'd end up restarting just because some dude got a lucky crit on one of my characters.

I know you're supposed to eat the death and carry on, but that's just not how I roll.

Oh, and I love that the devs separated overall difficulty level from casual/hardcore. More difficulty options are always good!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I absolutely agree with you Ocelot! 110%