Thread: Subscription Model Confirmed for The Elder Scrolls Online

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Subscription Model Confirmed for The Elder Scrolls Online

ZeniMax Online has revealed how it plans to charge users for The Elder Scrolls Online when it launches next year. For those not so fussed about subscription models, there are also some new screens.

[ Story ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

As someone who has not touched an MMO since 1999 after giving up Evercrack, but is a longtime fan of TES... I'm very disappointed that there is both subscriptions and microtransactions in this game. I didn't like the idea of an MMO TES game in the first place, but was seriously considering giving this game a go, but now I'm reconsidering. Now it just feels like Zenimax is going for a money grab.

Subs are SO last decade.

Seriously though, if done well enough, or at least close to what they're promising, then it should be worth it. The problem is very few new MMOs have come close to keeping all of their promises (not at launch anyway), and hype is still hype. Maybe ES: Online has some good ideas, but beta testing feedback will probably force the game back into generic MMORPG tropes.

I'm looking forward to seeing some regions we haven't seen yet, but it's nearly impossible to play these sort of games in short sporadic bursts.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I dunno, a lot of the beta testing feedback I've seen says, "This is too much like WoW and not enough like Elder Scrolls." Who knows if they'll act on such feedback, however.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Aw, come on! Again? Last I heard, the devs were going on and on about how the game would have all these ES mechanics in place and would feel so much like an ES game in an MMO world. Well, proves my point.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    This does not surprise me at all. I was going to bash the decision to have a sub for the game... then I figured I would bash the company... then compare it to WOW. Then I realized what's the point? Same ****... different stain.

So now I run over to FF14 and pay a sub for that game... making myself a total hypocrite.
    Last edited by scorpio_7; 08-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Who wants to place bets for when this goes FTP or discontinued all together?
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

***mispost
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 08-29-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Well this is for elder scrolls not ffxiv
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D