Thread: Impression - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar

Impression - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl

RPGamer's resident remake-hater is halfway through Etrian Odyssey Untold. Is it enough of a remake to draw his ire, or does he convince himself it's a spinoff in order to keep his shocking revelations manageable?

Impression
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Thanks for the impression.

So my question would be, since you said it feels more like a sequel/spinoff than a remake, does that mean that it both the original and this game are worth playing, rather than just choosing to play the original or this one?

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    Thanks for the impression.

So my question would be, since you said it feels more like a sequel/spinoff than a remake, does that mean that it both the original and this game are worth playing, rather than just choosing to play the original or this one?
    Hard to say. Before writing the review I'm going to restart and play some on Classic Mode. Right now I don't know how many of Story Mode's improvements are also in Classic Mode, or if Classic Mode is more like EO1.

I'd be inclined to say both are worth playing because the labyrinth layouts are different in each, and that's the main draw of 1st person crawlers for me. The enemies and class options are the same, though, so if you played the original EO1 and EO Untold back to back, you'd most likely be fighting the same foes with the same party options. It depends on what the draw of the two games is for you.

I don't have the first game (have all the others) so this seems like a good game to pick up even if it'll end up on the back burner due to Pokemon and Disgaea D2. Plus with SMT IV, Soul Hackers, EO4 and EO3, I've done a lot of dungeon crawling this year.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Well I've already got the game on pre-order, and after this impression I certainly wont be canceling it. Looking forward to it even more now.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    7th, can you answer whether or not one can change the story character's names?

Otherwise it sounds like Untold is shaping up to deliver another excellent Etrian Odyssey experience.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    7th, can you answer whether or not one can change the story character's names?

Otherwise it sounds like Untold is shaping up to deliver another excellent Etrian Odyssey experience.
    You name the protagonist, who is set as a male. You can't change the rest. There's voiceacting and the other characters' names are spoken in the game.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Oh well, I was kind of expecting that to be the case. Thanks 7th.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Glenn, thank you for the impressions, can you speak to your incredible handsomeness?

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I like the idea of storyline, voice-acting, and set characters. But I think I will prefer the original version, of making my own characters and party.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    I like the idea of storyline, voice-acting, and set characters. But I think I will prefer the original version, of making my own characters and party.
    There's a Classic Mode that lets you make your own characters and party. I haven't tried it yet (damn single save slot!) but I assume it would have most if not all the other improvements Story Mode has over the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Glenn, thank you for the impressions, can you speak to your incredible handsomeness?
    I could, but it would go over the word limit. I finally met another RPGamer staffie in person last weekend. Maybe he'll write some editorials about my good looks!

The only EO I don't have is the first one. For once I'll get the "updated" version of a game (cough Devil Survivors). I'll probably end of playing the story mode first. Only one save slot for both versions though? Guess that is old news, but the first time I'm hearing about it. Bummer