Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Can Take Pokémon to the Bank

You Can Take Pokémon to the Bank

We've decided to Raichu up a summary of the most recent Pokemon Direct. It includes a Goldeen opportunity to get a Pokemon-themed 3DS XL, among other news.

Top of Post by Ocelot, original lolwhoops post below:

------------------------------------------------------------

There was a Pokemon direct today, You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqkqdfrfes

Thoughts? Concerns? HOLY CRAP moments?

Mega Evolutions seem interesting, but the thing that I took away from this that totally made my day is you get your new starter and then you get to choose between a squirtle, bulbasaur and charmander from the professor of this region in addition to the other starter.

Next month can't come fast enough for me.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 09-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Getting two Fire starters (Fennekin and Charmander) might be redundant, but I can't resist! XD

Mega Charizard looks awesome, too!
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'd be tempted to get a Charizard too, but thanks to the PokeBank I'll already be able to move my awesome Charizard over, so I think I'll get a Fennekin and a Squirtle.

(Note: there will be a news story on this soonish, so this thread will probably get moved there.)

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'm hoping most of my favourites have mega evolutions as it seems to be suggested that all evolved/one stage pokemon have it. If so, I want to see scizzor, tyranitar, blissey, marrowack, emboar, and many others. The more I think, the more I want.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    It's nice to see a new mechanic added that's designed to be fun and will be used by both casual and hardcore Pokemon players.

A fee for cloud support, much less cloud support that does nothing but store a few MBs of data, is really dissappointing. If the first year was free, or if there were a free base service with a fee service on top of it that added features like Gen IV support or the ability to share and trade on the web, that would be more palatable. I'm glad Nintendo is getting with the 21st century, but this is a 21st century that expects PSN and XBL to be free, much less basic cloud storage.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Moved to Latest Updates, sorry we had to deface the top of your post, lolwhoops. The forum software is very insistant upon putting the first chronological post at the top of the thread. News Post Link Here for those who have already been reading.

Now that I look at him, it seems like Mega Blastoise is overcompensating a bit.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    The designs here for the mega forms seem rather bad IMO.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

but DarkRPGMaster, the power of your bonds of friendship help transform your favourite pokemon! Designs be damned, y'all gonna mega evolve your monsters.

On one hand though, the cloud storage of pokemon sounds great. Having it online and able to be accessed by any future Pokemon titles is very cool. Hopefully this leads to a very fast way to trade monsters from previous games, which would be a huge improvement over previous transfer options. If the fee is any more than like, a token amount people are going to be even more turned off by the idea of a yearly fee to hold their Pokemon. I guess it would be cool for a WiiU game to show up and allow you to play with your bank monsters. WiiU full Pokemon adventure with trading between X and Y coming 2014!? You can bet that would start selling them WiiU machines.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    dude, just think of what the bank could do for the next Coliseum title.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Considering they're coming out on the same day, I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't a Pokemon-themed 2DS.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Considering they're coming out on the same day, I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't a Pokemon-themed 2DS.
    You'd think that'd be free money, wouldn't you? My guess is that Nintendo doesn't want to make special editions of a piece of hardware that's kind of a market experiment in the first place.

As for the annual fee for the PokeBank, I've been given to understand that the yen amount they're charging is about $5. I doubt they'd charge any more than that here. I still doubt I'll be an annual subscriber, though. I'll just use it once per generation to move Pokemon from one game to another.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I hope I can get a Charmander. I would prefer him over any starter.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Considering how full up my boxes get, I'll probably use the Pokemon bank. $5 a year is not bad at all.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

On the one hand, you'll be able to run multiple games on one Bank account so I don't have to buy a second 3DS for transferring. On the other hand... I'm not sure we want to go down the road of charging for features that were theoretically free in previous generations.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You know, I should have asked this before, but will you still be ABLE to use the traditional multi-system setup for X/Y? Because, if not, this seems a really underhanded loyalty tax...

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

When I read about the Poke-bank a couple days ago I had to laugh. Because the day before it was announced me and my friends that play Pokemon were saying how cool it would be if they made an online based Pokemon storage system, and the next day. I really am looking forward to it. And I LOVE that you get your Gen 6 starter from a friend and the Prof gives you a Gen 1 starter, than you add in that day one Game Stop is having a Torchic mystery gift. Three fire starters right off the bat, I am excited.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Now that I look at him, it seems like Mega Blastoise is overcompensating a bit.
    I'm pretty relieved I'm not the only one that thought that. Yet at the same time I feel an uncanny attraction, so I'll probably get a Squirtle anyway...
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.

Oh, I'm totally getting a Squirtle. I'll just snicker a bit whenever I use Mega-Blastoise.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    You know, I should have asked this before, but will you still be ABLE to use the traditional multi-system setup for X/Y? Because, if not, this seems a really underhanded loyalty tax...
    Unless they're removing the ability to trade pokemon with your friends sitting next to you, it ought to still work. It MIGHT be the only way to transfer from previous generations though. Anyways, $5 a year to maintain what's probably going to be a massive and heavily-used server doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. I probably find $5 in change on the ground annually anyways :P

I think I'll be getting a Fennekin and a Bulbasaur.
    Last edited by omegabyte; 09-06-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Froakie and Charmander! But I'll use my girlfriend's game to get the other two starters eventually. or do others feel like breeding some females and trading with one another?