Thread: RPGCast - Episode 277: "Burger Time World Tour"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 277: "Burger Time World Tour"

RPGCast - Episode 277: "Burger Time World Tour"

PAX 2013, indie games, and mechanical keyboards open the show this week. We then continue with trying to understand Nintendo and Square Enix's business practices, which we realize isn't possible.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/277

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Burger Time World Tour"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    +An airship SIMULATION game! That is something I've always wanted. I really want to play Guns of Icarus.

+"Best pirate game I've ever played." This is very pleasing news. A good pirate game is what I want more than a good assassin game despite being Assassin's Creed.

+Delver's Drop is a "hard Zelda Dungeon game"? That sounds great. Alundra was a hard Zelda-style game and it felt good to solve puzzles in that game. Challenge is all Zelda games really need to be more fulfilling for me.

+Thanks, Chris. Thanks, Lusipurr. Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1PMhIM-Ct8
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    The Dragon Age: Inquisition discussion pretty much served to confirm every PC gamer stereotype imaginable. Great job, guys.

I have to say that I share Lusipurr's concern 100% regarding Kickstarter. Nobodies are rarely going to get the needed money for a game. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams BARELY made its much more modest Kickstarter goal, while big names like schafer can get millions with nothing but their name alone. If Kickstarter becomes the sole barometer of what gets made, then there's no chance for new talent to make a name for themselves. Instead of being better than things are now, Kickstarter is effectively making it worse, because John Q. Public isn't going to get $900,000 no matter how detailed his/her pitch is. Kickstarter's great for people with hardcore cred, but it creates a situation where only the big names can make new games at all, and that's disconcerting.

Oh, and Burgertime World Tour, while not looking terrible, does seem like it's trying too hard to make a deeper experience.

Last edited by MasterChief; 09-12-2013 at 11:36 AM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I have to second the recommendation for The Secret World. Especially as a free-to-play (well, buy-to-play), there's a ton of high-quality content available without paying a subscription fee. One thing that needs to be added about the game is that the quality of the writing is fantastic. Some of the best writing I've ever come across in a video game, mmo or single-player. If you want to play end-game, the subscription fee might be worth it, but the base game is easily worth the purchase price. The game never feels like a rush to the end-game.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    If Kickstarter becomes the sole barometer of what gets made, then there's no chance for new talent to make a name for themselves. Instead of being better than things are now, Kickstarter is effectively making it worse, because John Q. Public isn't going to get $900,000 no matter how detailed his/her pitch is. Kickstarter's great for people with hardcore cred, but it creates a situation where only the big names can make new games at all, and that's disconcerting.
    I don't see how Kickstarter is making the situation any worse for indie developers. It might not be helping them as much as we'd like to think, but how has it made the market worse? Were all of those indie developers getting big money from publishers before Kickstarter became popular?