Thread: Teabagging Nostalgia - Editorial

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Teabagging Nostalgia - Editorial

When your favorite long-running RPG series comes back from the dead with a brand new installment you should be excited, right? Why is it then that so many new franchise entries these days are nothing more than quick cash-ins?

Editorial
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Perhaps this is more true of Japanese series than Western, although most Japanese series tend to be iterated more and more frequently than Western games are. For example, my all time favorite series started in 1993, and has had 5 iterations- the last being released in 2011 and was considered game of the year. Obviously I'm talking about The Elder Scrolls. Each game is not only more popular, but arguably better than the last. I have nostalgia for Daggerfall, and wish they'd make a modern version of that, but I can't argue that Daggerfall is better than Skyrim. One could also cite Fallout as being a great example if you want to discuss series that could be considered "dead" before getting a new entry. Fallout 3 was a mainstream success and a brilliant game.

I'm not saying that WRPGs don't have these problems, but I can't think of many examples where a series didn't stay dead. Ultima might be an example if we considered it to have died, where the revival sounds like a cash-grab (in that iOS Ultima 4(?) remake).

But it does seem to be a problem with JRPGs more often than not. Series over there gain fans, and every now and then, developers bow to fan demands for a new game from a dormant franchise. My question is, how many games in a revived JRPG series actually turned out to be good? I honestly can't think of any. I'm not sure if this topic was meant for revivals or for the decline of sequel quality. But either way, I can think of a lot of games people want sequels to which I just can't imagine turning out well. Chrono Break will be a complete disaster if its ever made. Wild Arms 6 and Suikoden 6 would probably be iOS cash grabs. Sorry, but no thanks. If the series dies, its best left dead. More efforts should be made to stop them from dying, but business is business. I'd rather see new IPs than a series revival, after seeing what happens.

I'm just sad to see so few publishers have faith in lower-tech projects. A new Suikoden or Chrono game doesn't NEED cutting edge graphics. Would any of you have a problem with a new 16 bit entry in a beloved franchise? Surely this is not a very expensive endeavor. Even better, release these obviously dead franchises to the public domain, or at least license them to fans so we can get some Kickstarters going. And I see no reason why such a game couldn't be released on mobiles. I don't do any phone-gaming, but I'll bet there is some kind of gamepad support or something out there by now. So there: you still get your mobile game, but at least it's a mobile game we WANT to play.

Yeah, yeah...I know. HD remakes, graphics, JRPGs on the 3DS...the market isn't very friendly to old-school games. It's still sad though.

I'm not saying that WRPGs don't have these problems, but I can't think of many examples where a series didn't stay dead. ...But it does seem to be a problem with JRPGs more often than not
    I think it's just the way the Japanese do business. Devs. breaking away to start their own companies seems to be rarer, and Japanese publishers seem to do a better job retaining ownership of their IPs.

Many of the more prominent western devs. seem to do a better job retaining ownership of their original IPs somehow, and they break off more often (especially in the Kickstarter era). It seems to be a lot easier for western devs. to get their friends together to create a new entry in an old franchise.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 09-17-2013 at 02:41 PM.

I think the more appropriate Suikoden example for your editorial would be Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki. Although it isn't a social game or MMO but sticks to JRPG conventions, the lack of Suikoden-ness to the game heavily suggests that Konami was thinking that "we don't think this new IP would sell so let's modify it enough to be a Suikoden and add Suikoden to the title". They actually invested some graphical resources into the game (nice 3D and anime cutscenes) and hired some good voice actors, so it doesn't really feel as much as a cash grab as GREE stuff. Actually making it a Suikoden game seems to have hurt the original game somewhat. Of the 30 "stars" I've recruited so far, 5 of them have been cooks.

On the other hand, I think the Pachinko game was just a silly diversion, more of a Theatrhythm-like diversion instead of a FF All the Bravest.

Anyway, I agree with the editorial on how disheartening it is to see one RPG series after another get "revived" in the browser/social/cash-in type MMO way. I end up clicking on a news article with that series' name not expecting to see a new full single-player RPG experience.

If the owners of these franchises had better long-term vision, they'd realize that cheap cash grabs might make a few bucks in the short run, but destroy multi-million dollar franchises.

As for why there's so many RPG entries and spin-offs in Japan vs NA, it's because RPGs in Japan are like the sports/shooters of NA.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I'll just put this right here.

I hope that I do not come across something this sacrilegious this time around >_<