Thread: Classic Wizardry Hits Steam

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Classic Wizardry Hits Steam

Are you the hardest of the hardcore? Looking for something tough to play? Old 'scoo Wizardry is on Steam, and it demands to know how tough you are.

Ooooooooh yeah!

Absolutely love Wizardry 8. One of my absolute favorite PC games of all time. Game can be quite unforgiving at times though.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/496/theharv00.png

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Got it from GOG, a few months ago. LUVS IT!

But watch out, it likes to make you cry. The weak minded should run away

When I saw the post, first thing I did was go to gog to see if they posted Wizardry 1-5. Then... I realized it was just Steam playing catch-up again. I'll keep my DRM-free versions. I guess I should have continued reading past "Classic Wizardry hits..."

Possibly worth mentioning that all three are part of a trilogy within the Wizardry series, and you can import your saves from 6 to 7, and then from 7 to 8. The beginning of the games will change somewhat depending on how you beat the prior games, and various items will come with you when you import (including some that can't be found in the game you're going to).

Also, If it's not completely clear, their "bundle" isn't actually any cheaper.

It goes like this:
    6 & 7 = $5
    8 = $10
    6, 7, & 8 = $15

You're always getting both 6 & 7 for $5, but it's possible to read the post as them being $5 each. You don't save $5 on the bundle, it just adds the prices together.

Another interesting bit, Wizardry 7 includes both the DOS original (through DOS Box) and Wizardry Gold, which was a slightly updated version for Windows-95-ish. The main game doesn't change much graphically, it's rendered in a box in the center sort of, but all the character portraits are stylized (as opposed to "realistic".. haha) and the various menu and HUD-type elements are altered. They also added a narrator and a pop-up window for the mapping.

It's good they included both though, as the Gold version introduced a few glitches/bugs that were never patched out. I know the damage is wrong on a few weapons, but the more salient bit is it seemed to completely bork the diplomacy system. If someone is hostile, no amount of diplomacy skill will get you to fix it in gold (as I recall, I may be forgetting a workaround). Back in the day, I had to reload my save in the old version to get diplomacy to work well enough to chat with certain merchants, etc.

For people that are into modding/fiddling, there's a program called Cosmic Forge (by Mad God I think) that allows you to individually edit many aspects of the game world. If you were particularly industrious, you could craft your own RPGs, weapons, events, etc. using the games after you purchased them. It's more like a world editing tool than a save editor, FYI.

As an aside, they released the first game (Bane of the Cosmic Forge) on the Super Famicom in Japan, and it got a huge graphical update relative to most of the series. The PC version you can get off steam is EGA (16-color) graphics and tinny sound effects. The Super Famicom version has everything improved basically: BGM, effects in battle, higher-res character art (and a portrait editor), more detailed/differentiated enemy sprites, more detailed character creation, and so on.

You can see that here.

Wish it had been brought over here (they presumably could've used the existing PC translation).
    Last edited by Jitawa; 09-20-2013 at 01:29 AM.

I remember taking on the one party member challenge in Wizardry 8. You could make it pretty far as a lone ninja!

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    As listeners of the Backtrack know, Wiz 8 is, hands down, my favorite dungeon crawler type game. I've been enjoying the DRM Free GoG version for some time. Interestingly enough, they are having a huge RPG sale which includes these games (Making them temporarily cheaper than the Steam version)

For anyone interested, GOG.com has Wizardry 6+7 for $2.39 and Wizardry 8 for $3.99 until Monday evening as part of their September RPG weekend promo. DRM free.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    I remember taking on the one party member challenge in Wizardry 8. You could make it pretty far as a lone ninja!
    The idea lone character is.... Fairy Ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    The idea lone character is.... Fairy Ninja.
    I've never been able to use the Cane of Corpus in Wiz 7 or 8 after the first time. It's like a "win stick", and it makes me me feel like a cheater.