Thread: RPGCast - Episode 279: "RPGamer: The After Years"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 279: "RPGamer: The After Years"

RPGCast - Episode 279: "RPGamer: The After Years"

RPGamer's hosts battle through various ailments to bring you this week's show. Jon gets ready for National StreetPass day, Anna gets stops Activision Blizzard from separating from Vivendi, and Chris keeps trying to stand his Xbox One on its side.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/279

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "RPGamer: The After Years"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    The word 'and' in Japanese is 'to' (pronounced like toe), which means that in Japanese the title of the game is Escha to Logy which is the word Eschatology. Eschatology is the study of end of the world theories and is pronounced like this:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...schatology.ogg
    Now you know!

Anna actually is a Japanese name as well. Now you know!
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

It's got roots all over the world -- Anna means "grace" in Hebrew; I consider it a quaintly ironic name.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    It's more often used as an abbreviation of "announcer" in Japanese, though. Other uses include the name of one of Japan's major airlines, and the word for "hole." I don't think I've ever seen it used as an actual person name over here.

In response to Chris's report on research on character builds and set character classes. I have been playing Path of Exiles obsessively for 5 months now, the relevance being that in PoE, the build is all, the skill "tree" is similar to FF10 with a massive sprawling node fest. The "classes" only gives you a starting point and a character model and these are not true set character classes in the standard sense. Furthermore, respeccing is discouraged although there's a dropped reagent which allows you to change a node, one decision one at a time.
    The whole set up encourages people to try and experiment with different builds and theorycrafting but people seem to fall into two camps, 1) they try and recreate their favourite playstyle type 2) They try a variety of builds and see what they like. My conclusion, from being of the second camp, is that people on the whole do not choose the optimally effective build, they might flirt with it but they are generally prepared to accept various compromises in order to enjoy the game their way. This "conservatism" is perfectly natural and pretty common sense, but why focus on this as a negative when you can have the best of both worlds, plenty of players on PoE have fun with alt characters, sometimes hte alt becomes the main.
    (Apologies if I seem to be plugging this game too much). Path of Exiles is still in Beta but manages ot keep the interets of players through the "World of Warcraft"esque new artifact items called "uniques" which drives the frenzied fun of trying to design a new theorycrafted build to exploit its features, for example a new one handed axe "soultaker" has the advantage of not requiring any "mana" cost per action/strike , this frees up the mana resource pool for other uses/optimization which may necessitate adjusting your build or designing a new one.

And PoE release news! pasted from their forums!

Path of Exile's full release is fast approaching. At the end of next week, we're going on a short press tour to Los Angeles and San Francisco to meet up with journalists and unveil the latest build of the game, new content and unannounced new features. The information won't be embargoed, so the journalists are welcome to start posting it the day they meet us. You'll hopefully see quite a lot of it around the internet that week, including an exclusive new release trailer. Once we arrive back in New Zealand (approximately October 7) we'll start releasing information ourselves. Two weeks before the go-live date, we'll enable a countdown to full release.

The people going on the tour are Jonathan, Erik and me. We'll be holding fan meetups in both LA and SF. More information on these will be available next week
    Last edited by Balance; 09-21-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Editing for spelling etc +_+;

So does Etrian Odyssey IV only have a single save file? And is Pokemon the only game that can get away with that?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    So does Etrian Odyssey IV only have a single save file? And is Pokemon the only game that can get away with that?
    All EO games only have 1 save file.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.