Thread: One Piece: Romance Dawn Sails West

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

One Piece: Romance Dawn Sails West

While there have been a number of One Piece games released in the west, none have been particularly relevant to us at RPGamer. Romance Dawn looks to introduce the series to a new group of potential fans.

[ Story ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Well then... I have no idea what I think about this. Looks interesting? What's the manga about?

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    One Piece is a lighthearted / goofy mix of characters getting into gigantic fights that last for many weeks. It's quite entertaining and the character designs along with the fight mechanics often get so outlandish as to be quite memorable. Doesn't deviate so much from the usual fighting manga template that those who steer clear of such things are likely to have a change of heart though.
    Admittedly, I could be wrong there.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Also pirates. But yeah, as far as I'm aware that sounds about right.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I read some of the manga like, forever ago so would this release be over my head or is it approachable for a series newbie?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

I have no idea offhand. As a recent game I'm sure it will use the full crew Luffy's gathered by this point, but the One Piece characters aren't the kind of soul-searching personalities who require lots of time to become familiar. There will probably be references to the source material thrown in, but the overall plot will not be dependent upon it. Probably.
    Yep, I didn't mention that these be pirates, yo. Not exactly the same kind of pirates Disney's been making absurd amounts of money with in the last decade, but definitely pirates.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

It's a game that covers (almost) the entire manga up to a certain point; it's the One Piece saga turned into a turn-based RPG, which is rare for anime games. I heard one or two less important arcs were left out and turned into comic cut scenes. I think the game expects you to have read the manga or seen the anime, so I'm sure you'll get more enjoyment out of the game if you are familiar with the source.

I also heard this game wasn't that great. But I'm going to pick it up for two reasons: one is that I just started reading One Piece over the course of this year and I totally understand why it's the most popular manga in Japan. Second reason is that One Piece: Unlimited World Red looks amazing and I want to see it localized.

I suppose I could do some research on what it covers, but if it's encompassing the whole manga storyline until recent times, there's a perfect point at which it will end. The manga is now about 10 volumes past that point, but considering when the game's development took place it would make sense.
    Whether it does as good a job of telling the One Piece story (so far) as the manga itself is doubtful, but such is life. Condensing about 14 years of manga production into a game sometimes has that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    One Piece is a lighthearted / goofy mix of characters getting into gigantic fights that last for many weeks. It's quite entertaining and the character designs along with the fight mechanics often get so outlandish as to be quite memorable. Doesn't deviate so much from the usual fighting manga template that those who steer clear of such things are likely to have a change of heart though.
    Admittedly, I could be wrong there.
    I think I've found my reviewer for this one!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    I suppose I could do some research on what it covers, but if it's encompassing the whole manga storyline until recent times, there's a perfect point at which it will end. The manga is now about 10 volumes past that point, but considering when the game's development took place it would make sense.
    Whether it does as good a job of telling the One Piece story (so far) as the manga itself is doubtful, but such is life. Condensing about 14 years of manga production into a game sometimes has that effect.
    Based on what that trailer covered, I think you're right and they're covering from the beginning to just before the 2 year jump. (Hard to talk about things without all the potential spoilers.) I agree that it's either got to be a significantly abbreviated version of the story, or it's going to have to be a helluva long game with little or no side quests. Of course, a game will probably abbreviate the overdrawn out fights the most and cut out the filler, which, when you think about it, may make the length of the game more agreeable than the anime.