Thread: Bravely Default in English for the First Time

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Bravely Default in English for the First Time

Anyone not on a media blackout is invited to watch this new trailer, which shows Bravely Default in English for the first time. Anyone who is on a media blackout should know not to watch trailers.

[Link]

Author's note: Being pathologically averse to RPG spoilers and working on an RPG news site can, at times, be contradictory traits. I should take my own advice about not watching trailers more often. Apologies for the self-serving blurb.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    You have my empathy, Twin. I have seen way more X/Y Pokemon than I ever wanted to in advance of the game. :-p

As for the trailer... I'm really glad it's got dual audio now. Childlike graphics don't mean that you need to attempt to sound like a small child!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Recently, many new JRPG announcements are coming for the Nintendo 3DS, especially "Bravely Default - Flying Ferry", which is good sign of things to come for Nintendo 3DS enthusiasts.

There is one concern to worry about, its release times.

Usually, when new titles are released, Japanese players get these games first. Once these games are translated into English, North Americans usually get it before European and PAL Zone Counterparts.

However, some translated Nintendo 3DS JRPGs such as "Bravely Default - Flying Ferry" and "One Piece Romance Dawn" are being released to European/PAL zone areas before North American zone. Not sure if that's a new trend with translated Nintendo 3DS JPRG releases.

In the case of "Bravely Default - Flying Ferry", the irony is that European/PAL and North American zones have the same publisher, Nintendo.

While I can't wait to get my hands on Bravely Default, I hope that future translated JRPG releases for Nintendo 3DS are released in both North American and European/PAL Zones at the same time.
    Last edited by TheMoose; 09-27-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Addition to existing post

I don't see why North Americans have a special privilege that means we should get games before or at the same time as Europe. Bravely Default is probably coming out in mid-late December in Europe, and that's not traditionally a good time to release a new game in North America (I don't know if it's a bad time for Europe too, but that was NoE's decision). Nintendo of America probably decided to wait for early 2013 and try to capture the Christmas gift card market instead.

Companies don't make decisions about game release dates to spite us. They make decisions based on their marketing schedule and the timeline that they think will lead to the most sales. In the long run, that's better for us. Maybe some people across the pond get to play the game first, but if a delay means it sells enough copies that we're more likely to get the next portable Square Enix game, I'll take the delay.

Why they have so much preference for Europe? RPGs hardly sells in that region. I think they should release on Europe and America at once.

I hope that the Chrome Blue 3DS gets released.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

One thing about Bravely Default is that it's in a similar situation as Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story, Nintendo of Europe is the one really taking the workload on with the help of Square Enix Europe.

Nintendo of Europe is the real RPG hero as far as localization go, so it's likely heading things up and then passing it to NoA to rubber stamp and publish.

Many people think Nintendo is one big happy family, but it's really multiple, slightly functional families.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    You have my empathy, Twin. I have seen way more X/Y Pokemon than I ever wanted to in advance of the game. :-p

As for the trailer... I'm really glad it's got dual audio now. Childlike graphics don't mean that you need to attempt to sound like a small child!
    To be fair the really child-like voice was the fairy rather than any of the human characters. Whether or not it'll still be annoying? Urm, probably :P I'm not sure they've picked out the best selection of voicing for the trailer but it's too small a sample size for me to complain about/praise at this point.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

The voice acting is underwhelming from what we see briefly in the trailer. I hope it isn't representative of the overall quality of voice work in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post

The dual audio isn't really a selling point for me as I prefer audio to be in my native language. It is still nice to have for those who prefer the original voice acting.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

I generally prefer audio in English, but if I hate the English voice acting in a game enough, I'm happy to switch to the Japanese track. I did that with Atelier Totori because her English VA really grated on me.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Considering how brief it is, I'll reserve judgement of the voice acting until later. Probably much later. I'm still looking forward to this.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I like what I saw but not what I heard. Will be a great December game to play.

Getting GOOD Final Fantasy vibes.

Considering Europe has traditionally received games MUCH later than the US (or never, in many cases), I can never understand why people start complaining about very small time frame differences like this, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Being pathologically averse to RPG spoilers...I should take my own advice about not watching trailers more often.
    I sympathize with this comment. I try to avoid watching trailers for games that already interest me, but the temptation is a killer.