Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impression - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Impression - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

At well over the halfway mark in the story, we take some time out to share our thoughts about the game so far. How does it hold up to FFXI? Does it feel like a Final Fantasy game? All that and more inside.

Impression
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That seems to be the general consensus: a generally good and fairly well polished MMO, but what everyone seems to focus on is that it's a GREAT FF game. Impressive considering the last few years.

Sucks it had to be an MMO though. They're just too time consuming.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I was highly critical of ff14 as well as the attempt at remaking the game. Maybe it was my original disappointed that was blinding me. But in the end I decided to give it another shot a few days after release of a realm reborn.

But I have to say, I am thoroughly enjoying the new experience, and would recommend it for any fan of final fantasy. Perhaps SE still has some life left in it afterall.

The duty finder is cross server? I didn't realize that.

FFXIV is great now. They've addressed almost all of my complaints with it. The biggest annoyance in 1.0 was that everything was done server side, and the client was really, really dumb. To select items to craft, it had to ask the server for your inventory list before selecting every single item. Now the client is much smarter and the whole thing works a lot better. You can still get some weirdness when the server's very laggy, but it's overall much improved.

The biggest surprise to me is how playable the PS3 version is. Now that I've gotten used to it, I've been running dungeons, doing quests, and all manner of other things on it. I've only had a few minor issues with it as well, and I think those were mostly server issues. I don't even notice that I'm running the lower graphics version of the game most of the time.

I'm having a great time with it too. Also, the team is dedicated to graphics updates over time (much like EVE online). The first of these will come next summer along with Direct X11. Yoshi mentioned (although in joking it should be understood), that maximizing the NEW CLIENT would require a person to run 3 x Titans. My point being that this game will be helped to remain relevant by this move the way many other MMOs do not. It'll always look shiny and new, even 10 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by NefarioCall View Post
    would require a person to run 3 x Titans
    No, not three of them...
    titanart.jpgtitanart.jpgtitanart.jpg
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Here is my take on the game: I have a level 50 Bard and manage to play through some of the endgame content (though not all of it as I'm waiting on the rest of my Free Company members to get up in 50 to do the dungeon runs), so I did see a good amount of what the game has to offer so far. Graphically, the game is one of the best-looking MMOs out there, no argument here. I have a different opinion on the storyline of the game. I am not so high on the story content as the reviewer, in comparison to other MMOs I would say the storyline is definitely better than Guild Wars 2, but nowhere near as good as one would find in The Secret War. Its passable for sure, but to compare it to other final fantasy games I think is going a bit to far (in my opinion). Though it definitely held my attention better than FFXII and FFXIII, but that isn't saying much for me.

Gameplay isn't anything new that you haven't seen in an MMO, which is neither a good or bad thing, but I guess I was expecting something a bit more unique from Square as far as trying something different. Instead they seem to not venture into trying too many new things and just went with what is "safe and acceptable" in MMO these days. Considering that this is a "do over" for them, I don't blame them for going this route though. Still, some of the things I'm kind of was expecting was better looking gears and the ability to customize gear in a way that doesn't reveal what level someone is when I automatically look at their character (I wish more games would be like DCUO or TSW in this regards, character customization is a bigger thing then they give that feature credit for). I mean when you think of all of the awesome looking characters designs Final Fantasy have given us in the past and compare to what you can make with this game, it is pretty lackluster design.

The thing that I am most concern about and the one factor that may keep people from playing this game is the community here. Unlike Final Fantasy XI, which even from my very limited time of playing the game, I remembered having an awesome community, this game does not. Once you start getting towards the higher level dungeons, you will certainly notice rude gamers who want to force you to hurry up during cutscenes in the dungeons, or who will quickly get mad at you for not having high enough gear to do a dungeon (according to them), or you may just have people who just rage quit or when things are not going like plan or will quit once they get the gear/weapon they were looking for in the dungeon. These seem to be universal issue with all of the servers and have been something of a big complaint on the main forum of this game. I would definitely recommend you find a nice free company that you can get along with and try to avoid the dungeon finder as much as possible.

I personally enjoy the game, but if I was to be honest and put my love of the Final Fantasy series out of my mind and look at this subjectively, I would rate the game a 7 out of 10 (I'm old school, so to me this is a good number). I know many others would rate it higher, but honestly if it wasn't for the FF name attached to this game, it would probably be merely a decent MMO with slightly above average story and graphics but with the same gameplay that we're all overly used to by now. I'll be playing this one for a few more months to see what else they'll be adding, but I do think this MMO has a lot of issues to deal with as most new MMO tend to have. It will be interesting to see how many people will continue to play after the initial free period and making it to lvl 50.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    I disagree about the community. Of course there will always be some bad eggs, and as a level 50 myself, I've met a few of them, particularly in the Hard Mode Primal fights where people are frustrated with the way Duty Finder works. For example, I've met a few Tanks that get angry when a group cannot perform properly and would like to kick certain players that come in with terrible gear or would outright like to quit and get another instant Tank queue, but one option is not available, and the other incurs a 15 minute penalty. So what that person will do is pull the boss repeatedly on the group like a moron, intentionally causing wipes until someone else leaves first. Its a crappy system that I think SE could put some improvements on.

As for the skipping cutscenes, if 6 or 7 out of 8 members ask a person to skip a cutscene, I don't think thats necessarily rude. Some people have are very accommodating when you say this. I actually skipped the cutscenes in one of the last story dungeons and watched them later because everyone in the group asked nicely. Yes, it will cause some arguements, but those cutscenes are very long and IMO it is a design flaw to incorporate 20-30 minutes of cutscenes every time you run an endgame dungeon. The problem is compounded further when you realize that said dungeon gives the most Tomes of Philosophy with no alternative, non-cutscene dungeon to run for an equal amount of Tomes of Philosophy.

On the whole, I'd say this is the best online community of any game I have ever played in my life. The overwhelming majority of people I've encountered all claim responsibility when they screw up, are happy to teach other players strategies, and willing to help others progress. This is the friendliest, most mature bunch of players I've ever had the pleasure of playing with online, and the community itself is probably one of the biggest glowing praises I can think of when it comes to A Realm Reborn.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

We most certainly got a different opinion on the community, but you may be on a better server than I am. I will say that I do believe it may get better once the free trial period is over and those who are only there for the short term leave. Let's hope that this is the case.

I will say Leviathan has been pretty pleasant. I'm not at max level, but I've only had one really bad dungeon (a tank who couldn't hold aggro if we stapled enemies to him), but even then people were pretty well mannered through that.

Although I enjoyed most of the game, I hate the forced grouping during certain points in the storyline. I made it to level 35, had to fight Titan next, and realized I really just didn't want to do another dungeon with a pick-up group. So that was it for me. Yes, I know; it's an MMO, I should expect a certain amount of grouping. I manage to get through many without grouping, however, and was disappointed that I HAD to group for this.

It does feel more like a Final Fantasy game than I thought it would, has a lot of references for long-term players of the game (Wedge and Biggs piloting the Tiny Bronco come to mind), and plays with a surprising smoothness on a PS3 using a controller. If they ever come up with a single-player or story option for the forced dungeons, I'll be back to finish the game's storyline.

The best part about the forced grouping for me is the team work within the RPGamer free company. Usually two or three of us will join up (if not a whole group) and do a dungeon or fight together. That makes it way more tolerable. The only dungeon/primal I've done without one of our company was the first time I fought Titan and the group was really patient and helpful. I have to imagine that many of the problem people sped to level 50 as fast as possible and are trying to do the dungeons as fast as possible, hence the impatience. I do wish Duty Finder could put a yes/no toggle in there for cutscenes.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    I disagree about the community. Of course there will always be some bad eggs, and as a level 50 myself, I've met a few of them, particularly in the Hard Mode Primal fights where people are frustrated with the way Duty Finder works. For example, I've met a few Tanks that get angry when a group cannot perform properly and would like to kick certain players that come in with terrible gear or would outright like to quit and get another instant Tank queue, but one option is not available, and the other incurs a 15 minute penalty. So what that person will do is pull the boss repeatedly on the group like a moron, intentionally causing wipes until someone else leaves first. Its a crappy system that I think SE could put some improvements on.

As for the skipping cutscenes, if 6 or 7 out of 8 members ask a person to skip a cutscene, I don't think thats necessarily rude. Some people have are very accommodating when you say this. I actually skipped the cutscenes in one of the last story dungeons and watched them later because everyone in the group asked nicely. Yes, it will cause some arguements, but those cutscenes are very long and IMO it is a design flaw to incorporate 20-30 minutes of cutscenes every time you run an endgame dungeon. The problem is compounded further when you realize that said dungeon gives the most Tomes of Philosophy with no alternative, non-cutscene dungeon to run for an equal amount of Tomes of Philosophy.

On the whole, I'd say this is the best online community of any game I have ever played in my life. The overwhelming majority of people I've encountered all claim responsibility when they screw up, are happy to teach other players strategies, and willing to help others progress. This is the friendliest, most mature bunch of players I've ever had the pleasure of playing with online, and the community itself is probably one of the biggest glowing praises I can think of when it comes to A Realm Reborn.
    i would have to agree with this. however if i'm running a dungeon for the first time i do want to see the cutscenes. and people should understand first-timers.
    on sargatanas (legacy server) i've had nothing but nice people. never run into anything bad. people are really helpful and are always willing to run out and raise your corpse.

which brings me to being antsy for any kind of reraise. i'm squishy.

i've only had one bad encounter. i asked a local archer to help me kill some big mob in the area we were in. he told *me*, the conjurer, to attack it first and then promptly let me die while he just stood there. i died, and then he started attacking it.

you do run into idiots but for the most part the community is great.

I almost never had any complaining in any of the low level dungeons, until one day when I had two groups in a row with Tank-DD conflict. In one case, the DD accidentally aggroed an enemy once, then the tank and DD spent most of the rest of the dungeon griping at each other. In the other, the DD was pulling constantly, and annoying the tank, so the tank let the DD kite-tank the boss of the dungeon solo, while he dealt with the adds to teach the dd a lesson. Luckily, nobody died on either run.

The story is certainly very good, but I'm not sure if I rate it higher than FFXI: Chains of Promathia. It was probably easier to complete than CoP, mind you.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by kazriko View Post
    I almost never had any complaining in any of the low level dungeons, until one day when I had two groups in a row with Tank-DD conflict. In one case, the DD accidentally aggroed an enemy once, then the tank and DD spent most of the rest of the dungeon griping at each other. In the other, the DD was pulling constantly, and annoying the tank, so the tank let the DD kite-tank the boss of the dungeon solo, while he dealt with the adds to teach the dd a lesson. Luckily, nobody died on either run.
    In low/mid level dungeons (when the tank is a little squishier), it's actually advantageous to let someone like the THM pull with a sleep them pulling the other mobs off them. It's a lot like low/mid level FFXI play (I used to pull crabs in the Dunes for hours). It's too bad a lot of the audience comes from games where this isn't even considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    In low/mid level dungeons (when the tank is a little squishier), it's actually advantageous to let someone like the THM pull with a sleep them pulling the other mobs off them. It's a lot like low/mid level FFXI play (I used to pull crabs in the Dunes for hours). It's too bad a lot of the audience comes from games where this isn't even considered.
    Or no longer considered, liek WoW used to have Hunters pull to Tanks and people time CC's to pull but no hardly ever have hunters pull and CC's don't cause aggro with rest of mobs anymore
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Just to touch on your review:

The game definitely has a strong Final Fantasy vibe to it in addition to being a MMO. I personally liked the story, although I've heard from some people that didn't. Being that it is an MMO, I felt the points in time where they forced grouping upon you were acceptable.

Just to give you a heads up, you're going to hit a bottleneck in the late 40s where you're going to have to grind dungeons or FATEs to keep up with the story due to a lack of quests available. I don't know if this was an oversight on SE's part or not.

To address the community issue - I hear about this a lot on the official forums, but I've personally not ran into this much. I'm sure it mostly has to do with me doing the majority of my grouping within my FC, but sometimes folks are not around and I'll queue up through the DF alone and I haven't run into situations where I'm grouped with rude players very often. If anything, I run into cases where I'm grouping with someone that's undergeared or inexperienced, but hardly ever are they just a complete *******.

Overall I'm enjoying the game. I'm someone who played the original version from beginning to end, with some breaks here and there in between content, and I opted to start over because I was afraid I would have less incentive to play with all my classes being maxed out. I think I made the right decision as I've been having a blast playing on a server dedicated for new characters only. I always have something to do, whether its running dungeons, leveling crafting or gathering, or leveling another battle class. Endgame is kinda grindy and repetitive, but that's pretty much how it goes in any MMO. You just have to find other things to do to break up the monotony. The upcoming patches plan to bring PvP, Housing and new group content, so there's bound to be something new that everyone can enjoy in the coming months.

Is that magitek armor mount? Yeesh, stop tempting me!

Or no longer considered, liek WoW used to have Hunters pull to Tanks and people time CC's to pull but no hardly ever have hunters pull and CC's don't cause aggro with rest of mobs anymore
    That's because WoW was a lot harder before. Precise pulling and keeping adds down was paramount. Now a tank and a decent healer can survive the craziest of pulls without much problem. Even Heroic 5-mans were tougher before, but in Mists...I honestly didn't notice much difference when I hit 90.

Yes, that's magitek armor. And you get your own.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm