Thread: Playing With Power - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Playing With Power - Currents

In this week's issue of Currents, we pay respects to a legend of the video gaming industry, review Valve's recent announcements, examine why app development isn't the goldmine some think it is, and question why the Xbox One can't be oriented vertically. We also have some questions to ask you about Nintendo.

Currents

Questions:

• What was your first experience with a Nintendo console?
    • What is your favorite game developed by Nintendo?
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

First experience with Nintendo was watching my brother play NES games like excite bike and pinball and Mario Bros.

My favourite Nintendo developed game is a little tougher to think of, but I think that Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga or a Fire Emblem would be up near the top.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I don't know about the Xbox One (it probably looks similar on there), but Watch_Dogs looks incredible on the PS4. I got to watch it being demoed at FanExpo and was quite impressed. Definitely worth waiting for the next-gen version.

As for Nintendo:

My first experience with a Nintendo console was my first boyfriend's NES waaaay back in 1991. I attempted to play Super Mario Bros. 3 and was awful at it because I'd only ever used KBAM and joysticks to play games. I still dislike the old-style controllers from the days before analog sticks.

I have a lot of Nintendo favourites, but I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 tops that list. The sheer design brilliance that went into a lot of those levels is impressive, and I just found the entire thing to be a blast to play. But Fire Emblem: Awakening, several Zeldas, some Kirby games, and of course Pokemon also have special places in my heart.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

What was your first experience with a Nintendo console?
    What is your favorite game developed by Nintendo?
    NES. Dad bought it for me and I played. Can't say I had very many special moments with my NES.

My time with the SNES was much better. Gotta say my favourite game was FF6 because I still play it today, but really, it's difficult to pick just one game for the SNES.

When I was around 5 years old, I remember having a babysitter who happened to have an NES. My parents kept video games away from me before that (although my dad worked at a Chuck E Cheese when my mom was pregnant with me, and she played Ms Pac Man constantly- so I figure I played video games since before I was born). I didn't actually get to play the NES, I remember pulling the controller wire out of the port and looking at the 5 cylinder connectors, and asking the babysitter how it worked. I remember her getting really mad at me, and I didn't know why. I did get an NES for Christmas that year, and I have a lot of great memories with that system (which I still have) and the games and finding games at pawn shops (like the original 4 Dragon Warriors), etc.

As for favorite all time Nintendo DEVELOPED games... I would have to say Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. This is easily among my all time favorite games.

My first experience with Nintendo was getting an NES for Christmas 1989, and being really confused by Zelda II. Thankfully, I had Super Mario Bros to entertain myself.

Favourite Nintendo game is also my favourite game of all time - Earthbound.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    My first experience with a Nintendo console was staring like an idiot when my brothers would play theirs because they weren't really good about sharing. I didn't get my own until I was 10, and you can believe I was SO HYPE.

Hiroshi Yamauchi's death brings a reality that's been ignored for far too long into stark focus now. The gaming industry, especially in Japan, revolves around people who've pretty much been in there since the beginning. Miyamoto, Sakurai, Inafune... Unless you've got a resume for greatness during the NES era, there seems to be very little room for your input. We're going to lose these people, however, and it's going to be sooner than we think for a lot of them. Shigeru Miyamoto, for example, is 60 years old. Keiji Inafune is 48, Hideo Kojima is 50... I'm not saying they should be put to pasture - as long as they've got it, let 'em keep working. But this industry, especially in Japan, is staring down the barrel of not having enough people to step up when these greats finally DO retire. There needs to be more attempts to find and retain these talents that are now either struggling to get Kickstarted or working in the corner programming physics for a AAA title, if they haven't been over-worked to the point of leaving the industry outright, or there's going to be some hard times when we lose the current crop of visionaries.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Miyamoto has been doing just that, actually. Stepping back from major development roles and spending more time with Nintendo's younger staffers to help them grow. Probably with liberal applications of tough love if what I've heard about Miyamoto is true.

It certainly seems like some of Japan's older game companies like Capcom and Konami have been suffering due to losing some of those vets and not having a strong vision in place for the future.

First experience is definitely Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt circa 1988.
    Favorite game? Call me crazy, it's Zelda Skyward Sword.
    My parents never bought me a SNES; I played all the greats on emulator.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    My first experience is similar to TG. My Dad bought an SNES to play with me when I was very young, first game being Pilotwings. Honestly I don't remember even playing it really, but thats supposedly what happened.

Favorite game developed by Nintendo? Boy thats tough. What comes to mind right now though is Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door. Probably explains why I'm very frustrated with the direction Paper Mario has taken.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Ye olde NES + SMB/Duck Hunt was my first experience. As much as I like Earthbound, I think Zelda: A Link to the Past is my favorite. Between my brother and I, we learned everything about that game such that we could run a perfect play-through in about 8 hours.

As far as the Steam stuff goes, I am actually interested in the controller. I think it has fairly good potential.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    First experience was with the NES. I hand't actually played it at the time, though. I was four years old then and I watched my older cousins play Super Mario Bros. switching between them.

My most favorite Nintendo developed game is tough choice, but if I must, it would be Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It's a fantastic game that I still look back on fondly, even as I play RPGs almost exclusively and barely touch platformers, even older ones, nowadays.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Miyamoto has been doing just that, actually. Stepping back from major development roles and spending more time with Nintendo's younger staffers to help them grow. Probably with liberal applications of tough love if what I've heard about Miyamoto is true.

It certainly seems like some of Japan's older game companies like Capcom and Konami have been suffering due to losing some of those vets and not having a strong vision in place for the future.
    Hm, what have you heard? *Curious* And hopefully the next crop of Nintendo staff are better than Eiji Aonuma. His stewardship of Zelda hasn't exactly been the stuff of legends.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I've read a few profiles of Miyamoto. He's passionate, has some very strong principles for game design, and has extremely high expectations for the games Nintendo creates. Some of his principles I disagree with - for instance, he believes in the idea of gameplay over story so strongly that he sometimes argues for cutting story out of places it belongs... like Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Still, I completely admire his dedication to solid design principles and making sure games are games.

If you read other designers talking about working with Miyamoto, they both respect and fear him. They know that if something they make isn't good enough, interesting enough, or interactive enough, they're going to hear about it in no uncertain terms and it might get totally scrapped. I mean really, imagine being a game designer and having to be regularly judged by the dude who made freaking Mario and who isn't shy with his opinions of the quality of your work? It must be stressful!