Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Encounters

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll - Encounters

How do you like your enemies to attack?
    Random encounters (e.g. early Final Fantasies)
    Visible on-screen (e.g. Grandia)
    Real-time action (e.g. Kingdom Hearts)
    Scripted (e.g. Chrono Trigger)
    Overworld encounters (e.g. Xenoblade)
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Honestly? All of the above. When done right, they all work.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Preferably visible on-screen, though I'm not too picky. However, with random encounters, more games needs items like Pokemon's repels or something to equip when you just don't feel like fighting.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    If I could say all of the above, I would. But since I cannot, I prefer on-field battles ala Grandia and Lunar.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Preferably visible on-screen, though I'm not too picky. However, with random encounters, more games needs items like Pokemon's repels or something to equip when you just don't feel like fighting.
    Pokemon is really a nice combination of random encounters and scripted encounters, which works wonderfully. All the trainers are scripted and will only force a battle once, and the wild pokemon are the only ones that are random, and even better, they only appear in certain areas of the map, like tall grass or while surfing or in a cave. 90% of the time you can avoid them simply by sticking to the paved road.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Random.
    Items or spells to slow/stop encounters available at some point.
    No random battles during puzzle elements.
    Algorithm that prevents battles 2 steps apart.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Honestly? All of the above. When done right, they all work.
    This. Depends on the style of the rest of the game. Although Chrono Trigger-style is my least favourite.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Personally I lean towards the way the Tales series (Visible on-screen) and Xenoblade (Overworld encounters) do it. At the moment I'm against "Real-time action" encounter entirely because I've been playing Kingdom Hearts HD recently and these parts are the worst thing about the game for me, so tedious. But as others have said it often mostly comes down to implementation and balance in individual games, so if there was a "Real-time action" encounter game that got the implemtnation right it'd probably push it more in favour for me.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, all of the above for me, depending on implementation. I generally had more fun with older games that rendered the enemies on-screen, but again, Pokemon does a great job of handling random encounters and probably wouldn't work as well if you could see the Pokeys in the tall grass ahead of time. I've never been particularly attached to any one style of battle system, since I've had a good time and a bad time with pretty much every style out there.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Overworld encounters like in Final Fantasy XII and Xenoblade are my pick. Hands down.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

All of the above has merits. I used to be a Random Encounter snob, disliking the people who wanted them on screen because I felt it was so they could avoid battles and that was not ok with me. But I've grown out of that because I no longer care what other people do or think. And in some cases, avoiding battles has merits.

My favorite would probably be something like done through the Elder Scrolls series. Early on it was real-time pseudo-random encounters, and later the enemies had very specific spawn points and are semi-scripted. Skyrim's battle system is among my favorites in any game at this point.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I enjoy anything EXCEPT "real time action." I'm very anti action RPG these days.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I voted real-time action, though I have to amend that here. As smacd said, they all have merits - if done correctly. The PS1 remakes of Lunar and Lunar 2 were definitely the wrong way to do it, since battles being on screen was meaningless due to difficulty in avoiding them anyway, while Oblivion and Skyrim are pretty much THE examples on how to do real-time action right. Do what makes sense in your game, that's what I say.

But there was no "all of the above answer," so action! And really, Kingdom Hearts was the best example? Might just be my own preferences sneaking in, but I was seriously not a fan.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    I enjoy anything EXCEPT "real time action." I'm very anti action RPG these days.
    I'm kinda the same way...except for the Ys games.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

It's all fine and good.

Random encounters with a way out like with Wild ARMs' cancel button is appreciated though.

Like most people here, I think they all work if done right. I think I like Xenoblade's system the best because not only can you see the enemies but you can see their levels so you know if they are even worth engaging (or if you should be running far far away).

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The best part of Xenoblade's system is when you unexpectedly round a corner/cimb onto the top of a big natural structure in the plains and come face to face with a GIGANTIC angry red-con boss monster. Run away, run away!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I prefer systems where you can see the enemy coming and evade them if you like. I'm not a fan of the variants that give you a chance to escape rarely, if at all. Also, small fry should be avoidable in all implementations of any modern system. I also like ambushing enemies and such, but the features that result in less wasted time are more important.

Hmm, I voted for Chrono Trigger because I remember being impressed by seeing the enemies and even being able to disable some of them (in prison, at least.) Its systems seemed way ahead of its time! But perhaps Grandia was actually better and my memory is just off. Been a while...

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Result time!
    Visible on-screen (e.g. Grandia) 914 38.79%
    Random encounters (e.g. early Final Fantasies) 477 20.25%
    Overworld encounters (e.g. Xenoblade) 410 17.40%
    Scripted (e.g. Chrono Trigger) 304 12.90%
    Real-time action (e.g. Kingdom Hearts) 251 10.65%
    Total Votes 2356
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.