Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feature - Future RPG Highlights

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Feature - Future RPG Highlights

In the lull between E3 and the holiday season, the hype train slows down to a crawl. Join RPGamer as we toss coal in the furnace and remind ourselves of the exciting RPGs on the distant horizon.

Feature

*Please tell us what upcoming RPGs you're excited for!*
    Last edited by InstaTrent; 10-07-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Almost all of the above I'm interested in.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

This is a nice change of pace.

Child of Light strikes me as the most interesting, although I'm surprised Cosmic Star Heroine isn't there.

I'm still too wary of EA to be very excited about Dragon Age 3.

Well I'm still super excited about "X" even if it doesn't have a proper name yet, let alone any guarantee to release outside of Japan. As for the list, they are all good choices but I'm personally not super excited about any of them. Rather I'm happy for the fans of FF, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Age, etc. I'm either behind or haven't touched any games in those series so I see these more as future backlog additions than games I'm dying to play.

"We know quite a bit about the game, but many RPGamers don't seem to be as excited as they maybe should be."

Ehh.... I've been burned too much by them to anticipate anything. I can wait till sometime post-release.

Cyberpunk looks interesting though.

SMT x Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Pokemon X2 and Y2 maybe? You know it's either Z or 2, since one of them has to be coming.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Child of Light strikes me as the most interesting, although I'm surprised Cosmic Star Heroine isn't there.
    We figured we'd leave indie RPGs for another time.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    I'm really looking forward to Persona 5, but that's probably still years away. Like riulyn, I'm interested in "Untitled Monolithsoft Game".

From the article, I've got my eye on FFXV and DA3. I haven't been too impressed with the FF franchise lately, and I skipped DA2 because of the poor reception, but I'm hoping these two will give me a reason to jump back on the wagon.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)

Trails SC?!

FFXV and KH3 are too far away to be on my radar, but I'm sure I'll get both (BTW, this is the 2nd time I've read that KH3 is the 'conclusion'...very good news if that is indeed true).

CoL definitely has me intrigued. ToX-2 I'll need to get as well. The others not so much (Transistor has an outside shot).
    Last edited by RealityChecked; 10-07-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    From the article, the only game on there I'm really interested in is Child of Light. Other future RPGs I'm looking forward to are Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and "X" ( I don't know which game is more mysterious, this one or the former :P).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Will FF15 be on PS3 also? or only PS4?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    Will FF15 be on PS3 also? or only PS4?
    PS4 and Xbone only. They didn't discard the possibility of a PC version.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Atelier Escha & Logy
    Bravely Default
    Demon Gaze
    South Park: The Stick of Truth
    The Guided Fate Paradox
    Ys: Memories of Celceta

As well as most in the article.
    And likely Trials SC, I'm playing through the first one fairly soon.

I'm definitely looking forward to FF XV, but not with the same kind of uninhibited exhilaration I had before the previous installments were released. I especially remember hyping XII, since it was the first FF to be released after I got a permanent internet connection. XIII had a lot of promise and I was really excited about it as well, but the let-down after finishing the game was pretty devastating. As a game, it wasn't bad, but it was just so far removed from what I had come to expect from the series...

Now XV is approaching, and it looks amazing, but I've never really been into action games, so while I really really really want the game to succeed and be an incredible experience that will rejuvenate the series, I'm also extremely worried that it will become the swan song of Final Fantasy (at least in the form I grew to know it). I've read many great things about it - the story seems interesting and the world is supposed to be expansive - but there's also many things revealed that worry me - the one-note cast, potential lack of diversity in playable characters, heavily action-focused battles, etc. I have hopes and fears, so I'm kind of on the fence as to what to expect from the game...

Oh yeah, looking forward to hearing more about Dragon Age Inquisition and Child of Light, too. *blush*

Child of Light looks gorgeous, but I'm concerned that having every line in the game being a rhyming couplet might get really old, really quickly.

I'm interested in Drakengard 3 and Monolith Soft's "X". The former hasn't been announced for localisation too bad, the latter will sell me a WiiU lol! I'm an huuuuge FF fan, but FFXV...Square never should've announced Versus so early. Most of my hype died for it. Especially since they re-branded it an main entry. I am not saying that an FF main entry cannot walk the ARPG path. In fact, FF is like The Beatles. It's about constant evolution, FFXV being an ARPG is ok in that sense. We will see how it works out. My main gripe with it is that i was extremely looking forward to SQ EX announcing a fresh new FF for next gen. Not Versus for next gen O_o! We've known about that game too long, some new project would be more appropiate for a next gen FF. But anyway. For the handheld section i'd like to get my hands on Bravely Default : FF for the 3DS. It looks great to me. Also Trails in the Sky : SC! Awesome! Finally, and it will make my Vita happy too lol! P.S : What is this rumor about Cyberpunk possibly not coming to PS4?
    "There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future. Get thee gone, Darkness!!" - Ashley Riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Riot View Post
    I'm interested in Drakengard 3 and Monolith Soft's "X". The former hasn't been announced for localisation too bad, the latter will sell me a WiiU lol!
    Actually it just did today, Also i already bought my wii u for Monolithsoft's X

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I'm definitely looking forward to FF XV, but not with the same kind of uninhibited exhilaration I had before the previous installments were released. I especially remember hyping XII, since it was the first FF to be released after I got a permanent internet connection. XIII had a lot of promise and I was really excited about it as well, but the let-down after finishing the game was pretty devastating. As a game, it wasn't bad, but it was just so far removed from what I had come to expect from the series...
    Is it wrong of me to hope that Final Fantasy XV is a phenomenal failure? My dream is that they stop changing the formula every game and get back to the roots of the series.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ascii256 View Post
    Is it wrong of me to hope that Final Fantasy XV is a phenomenal failure? My dream is that they stop changing the formula every game and get back to the roots of the series.
    *looks at the entire series as a whole and sees numerous formula changes every game since the original*

I think that IS the root of the series.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Eh, not much exciting me about upcoming games. I want South Park (if its good). I've been burned by EA owned Bioware and don't really want DA3. Lightning Returns so far doesn't interest me, and FF15 looks like exactly what I hate in many post-FF6 FF games. "X" looks interesting but I want more information. I will probably get Bravely Default and Zelda Link Between Worlds. Atelier Escha & Logy might be good. Nothing really exciting me, but probably a few I will get when they come out, if the general community is raving about them.

What I really want is Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 4, and the four 3DS Dragon Quest games currently stuck in Japan to all have release dates announced here.

Quote Originally Posted by ascii256 View Post
    Is it wrong of me to hope that Final Fantasy XV is a phenomenal failure?
    Yes and no.

On the "no, you are not wrong" side, many of us think Squeenix has been on the wrong track for quite some time now. They need a few more hard blows to make them realize that they need to fix their strategies. They think they know this, but with recent announcements, they clearly do not.

On the "yes, you are wrong" side, I think/fear that one more catastrophic failure on the console front may cause they to actually push even further into the iOS/Android development position, and may kill off SquareEnix RPG development as we knew it altogether.

Unfortunately, they are in between a rock and a hard place, as evidenced by them re-naming FF13Versus to FF15 in the first place. I want it to be good, but I hope it fails too. But I have a feeling it will do really well, and be another stinker.
    Last edited by smacd; 10-09-2013 at 03:54 PM.