Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drakengard 3 Releasing in North America, Europe in 2014

Drakengard 3 Releasing in North America, Europe in 2014

Did you love Nier? Many of the same team from that game are working on Drakengard 3, which is now confirmed for an English release.

Story
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I'm super glad this is coming over! I will probably preorder it too.

I am super happy for this announcement.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I'm super giddy right now.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I cannot stop listening to the music from the trailer.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

New Member Member
    Very exited. Now the question is, do I go back and try to complete the first 2 before this one comes out? I hear the gameplay is not very good. Then again people said the same thing about Nier, and I ended up really enjoying it, gameplay and all. I could always just watch the story line on youtube, but it's a prequel so maybe it won't be necessary. Decisions, decisions.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Blarg. Hope it finds its way to PS4 in some way.

Wish it had a more concrete date so I could update the fantasy pool.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 10-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.

As much as I love Nier, having the same people work on another game doesn't necessarily means that I will like this one (I been burned before with that kind of thinking). I never tried any games of this series, but I know it has a cult following. I guess I may give this one a try, but won't get my hopes up.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    I was a big fan of Nier, but after watching the trailer, I don't even care if they're spiritually related or not. I would buy this for the music alone.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven

I wasn't sure it would come over, but im super happy now! But i must be fair and be a little sad because EU only get's an digital copy not a retail disc, wich is too bad. I'll try to import from you guy's. But all in all glad that i atleast get to play it ^_~
    "There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future. Get thee gone, Darkness!!" - Ashley Riot.

I'm so happy I could plant a flower in my eye.

Is the Drakengard series really so beloved here? I found it to be painfully dull, with a mediocre story, mediocre hack and slash/flight gameplay, and pretty mediocre visuals overall. Nier was incredible but what am I missing here?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Is the Drakengard series really so beloved here? I found it to be painfully dull, with a mediocre story, mediocre hack and slash/flight gameplay, and pretty mediocre visuals overall. Nier was incredible but what am I missing here?
    They're a pretty big departure from normal JRPGs, especially the first one in terms of how dark it gets (0incest feelings, rape, murder, most of the cast are psychotic in some fashion, etc.). Drakengard 2 fixed numerous problems that Drakengard 1 had, along with keeping some of the feeling the fans felt from the first game into the 2nd one. Or at least, that's how I feel about it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Drakengard's soundtrack is to video game music what Pink Floyd is to rock.
    NIER's soundtrack is to video game music what Miley Cyrus is to pop.

It's a matter of art versus The Next Biggest Fad.

Anyway, I won't get my way with D3 unfortunately retaining the same composer from NIER (and the trailers indicate he hasn't gotten any better), and clearly the trend toward more mass-appeal action is being sustained in D3. But I can still hope for the story to be classic Drakengard. Unfortunately director Yoko Taro has committed a serious offense in not retaining Sawako Natori as his scenario writer. She is the reason Drakengard and NIER had such awesome stories to begin with. Still, Taro did commission a novel from her specifically for D3's backstory, so he bought himself at least some salvation.

You see, I love the original Drakengard gameplay. Enemy hordes (hordes, not gangs), weapon leveling with kills and not collectibles (a terrible, terrible system), many interesting and varied weapon classes (how many games do you know of have their own poleaxe category?)... I love NIER, I really do--but it took almost all of what I loved about Drakengard and undid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    Drakengard's soundtrack is to video game music what Pink Floyd is to rock.
    NIER's soundtrack is to video game music what Miley Cyrus is to pop.

Yeah...You lost me after this...

Say what you will about Nier the game, but comparing the OST to Miley Cyrus is crazy talk.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

In Hell they play Hills of Radiant Winds on loop.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    That's my second favourite song in the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Say what you will about Nier the game, but comparing the OST to Miley Cyrus is crazy talk.
    I ought to have instead compared it to mainstream pop in general. That's NIER's OST: mass appeal, low-risk, over-produced, lacking in development, and relying on pat chord progressions which repeat endlessly (across multiple tracks). Fans will of course balk at using musical analysis to criticize the OST, insisting that "as long as it sounds good", it is therefore of quality.

And, well, fans of any given pop singer/group will use the same logic when you tell them that their favorite music is really awful. Just imagine the most insipid, barebones, trite music that is so wildly popular all you can do is eye-roll and hope the fad goes away soon. That's NIER's OST to me.

I was tricked at first. I found the village theme very pleasant when I began playing the game. When entering NIER's house I thought, "Oh, OK, it's just a remix of the village theme". More specifically, I quickly realized the music in the game was synced precisely to the gameplay--the village theme and the house theme, for example, are exactly the same song in the same key and tempo, just different instrumentation, and so when entering the house, the new music theme picks off where the village theme left off. This was a deliberate game/audio design choice. This point has relevance later.

I got to the field outside for my first taste of Hills of Radiant Winds. At first it seemed quite lovely. Then I became quickly disappointed at how little actually happens... a rather dull chord progression, tom drum loops that don't change, a melodramatic melody, etc. It's a minute and ten seconds of not much at all. But hey, that village theme was really nice, maybe this is just a fluke.

"City of Commerce", heard at that seaside town, seemed interesting at first... till I realized that it was just a retread of Hills of Radiant Winds. By this time in the game I had really had enough of that theme.

Once I got to Kaine's hometown, whatever it was called, and heard that embarrassingly amateurish looping choral chord progression, I knew something just wasn't quite right with the soundtrack. By the time I reached the tower, I realized that what I was listening to was a hollow shell of what should have been a great soundtrack for a great game. There's literally nothing to it, except perhaps the original version of Song of the Ancients, and even that piece overstays its welcome as the plot progresses and the theme is milked beyond what its musical substance could possibly support.

And aside from that one saving grace, the rest is a mish-mash of simplistic loops, chord progressions stolen from Western and Japanese pop music alike, and poorly conceived electronic passages masquerading as "experimental music".

I can be pretty lenient in cases like this. At first I thought, well, maybe it's that purposeful audio design, where the music needs to easily flow together and blend during gameplay, that caused it to be so dull. But it's a difficult side to take when listening to the music. I just can't seriously defend the vast majority of the OST.

I was so disappointed when NIER's music became the highlight of the game for many players. Director Yoko Taro mentioned this in an interview, lamenting that the most talked-about aspect of the game was its music. The OST spawned several remix albums, being quite successful financially. So of course it's little surprise that Okabe was brought onboard for D3.

Its popularity, however, is not inexplicable. It's the same reason people flock, in reactive mobs, to names like Yuki Kajiura. And, though it encompasses an entirely different medium, Miley Cyrus. There's an element of instant gratification to such music: it's candy.

Of course, lots of people like candy, and it's OK to like or not like it. Either way, I hope I've clarified my position.

I was happy, then I read digital only release in Europe.