Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Final Fantasy VI Had Released Today - Editorial

If Final Fantasy VI Had Released Today - Editorial

Let's forget re-releases for a bit. Can you imagine what it would it be like if Final Fantasy VI had released this year?

If Final Fantasy VI Had Released Today - Editorial
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    It's really sad how this is exactly how I would see it if FF6 originally came out nowadays.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Agreed. This editorial is an excellent statement on the current state of the industry. There are still games that feel complete when released, but they are becoming fewer and farther between.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

Oi. This is a bit too close to reality. Then again, it's why I've decided to go back to the SNES/PSX days and start playing games I missed rather than bothering with the newer stuff. In a year or two, they'll release the Gold Edition with all of the stuff anyway.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    So sad... but so true.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    this is true of an EA/Activision, but for FF6 it would either be published either by Nintendo (so we'd never get that) or SE so all the dlc would be costumes.

This is absolute gold.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

This made me laugh...and then weep.

Awesome.

The game would have probably ended after the events on the Floating Continent, and two years later you'd have the privilege of playing FFVI-2: World of Ruin

Quote Originally Posted by RealityChecked View Post
    Awesome.

The game would have probably ended after the events on the Floating Continent, and two years later you'd have the privilege of playing FFVI-2: World of Ruin
    Hahahaha... this! Spot on!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

And by a little, I mean a LOT.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I had considered mentioning that the World of Ruin expansion was coming in the near future, but it would have ruined most of my examples by that point.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Considering that Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game of all time, there couldn't have been a more striking example for me of the ways in which DLC is all too often misused. The Phoenix Cave and Shadow's dreams in particular were key parts of understanding those characters, and the game would have been so much less complete without them in it. While I suppose that the argument could be made that the game's quality wouldn't have deteriorated overmuch by having "secret" characters like Gogo and Umaro as DLC, I think that each of the examples serves to illustrate the disappointing move away from, "Here is a complete, polished game experience" toward "Here's just enough of the game so that we can sort of justify the $60 price tag. Further additions forthcoming on PSN."

Great article! (By the way, the VI-2: World of Ruin example in the comments was absolutely inspired. )

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Eh, not sure I can really agree with this since Square Enix has never, ever done DLC in that manner, and they've never split up a main series story in that way either. The three sequels that have been done - FFX-2, FFXII: Revenant Wings, and FFXIII-2 - are all completely standalone stories that have absolutely nothing to do with the plots of the previous games. In fact, the plot of FFXIII-2 begins by retconning the ending of FFXIII!

A more apt example would have been something like Knights of the Old Republic, as BioWare is one of the few RPG companies that is actually guilty of this kind of thing (and even then, not really. I've never felt inclined to play any Mass Effect DLC, the main games have always held up on their own.) If you look at other franchises that do a lot of post-release DLC like Borderlands 2 or Skyrim, the DLC is much more fleshed out and is always standalone. Borderlands 2 in particular has some of the best DLC around, and each one is its own 10-ish hour storyline.

I'm curious what inspired this ed, as I can't really think of any major games recently that are guilty of this kind of DLC design. I know FFVI was just announced as an iOS port, but that's hardly the same thing.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

The ed wasn't really a focus on Square Enix as it is just a parody of how games release today. Most of the examples I posted parrot actual content from press releases I've received over the past year or so. Retailer-specific DLC, season passes that offer additional game content, extra characters as DLC, and social media integration. Sure KotOR might have been more accurate to having something like this happen, but this is more of a mock on the industry than a slam against SE.

And the scary thing is, I had this written before the FFVI iOS announcement.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Consider it from their perspective: The content costs money to create and they want to be rewarded for creating it. Say, in the editorial, $15 was a fair price for all the content:

1) Mobile users won't pay (most of them) $15 for the content
    2) S-E has to take all the risk of developing the content and then watch mobile users not pay for the content

The way around is to be more reasonable. Sonic the Hedgehog Episode 1 is $5 and Episode 2 is $5. Users didn't bite, so Sega didn't develop more episodes. Users got a good bit of content for the money they did spend. No one has been shafted here. An episodic content model for FF III, where the world of ruin hasn't been developed yet, and the base game sells for ~$8, could work. This way S-E doesn't have to absorb all the risk if the content proves unpopular.

S-E will be releasing Dragon Quest 1 through 8 for mobile. $15 is a fair price for Dragon Quest 8 (lengthy game with plenty of content and 3D graphics). S-E won't release sales numbers, but we will get to see what price they charge at the very least. I'll be disappointed if it's not a fixed price offering. I'm pretty sure not too many users will bite on this (because of price).

FF13-2 did have a bunch of separate storylines as DLC, including the only way to play as various other characters from FF13. Boooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Consider it from their perspective: The content costs money to create and they want to be rewarded for creating it. Say, in the editorial, $15 was a fair price for all the content:

1) Mobile users won't pay (most of them) $15 for the content
    2) S-E has to take all the risk of developing the content and then watch mobile users not pay for the content

The way around is to be more reasonable. Sonic the Hedgehog Episode 1 is $5 and Episode 2 is $5. Users didn't bite, so Sega didn't develop more episodes. Users got a good bit of content for the money they did spend. No one has been shafted here. An episodic content model for FF III, where the world of ruin hasn't been developed yet, and the base game sells for ~$8, could work. This way S-E doesn't have to absorb all the risk if the content proves unpopular.

S-E will be releasing Dragon Quest 1 through 8 for mobile. $15 is a fair price for Dragon Quest 8 (lengthy game with plenty of content and 3D graphics). S-E won't release sales numbers, but we will get to see what price they charge at the very least. I'll be disappointed if it's not a fixed price offering. I'm pretty sure not too many users will bite on this (because of price).
    ???

This editorial wasn't iOS related, so I'm a little confused here.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    FF13-2 did have a bunch of separate storylines as DLC, including the only way to play as various other characters from FF13. Boooooo.
    Yeah, but who really wants more story from FF13-2?
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Yeah, but who really wants more story from FF13-2?
    It had Sazh. You don't say no to him.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.