Thread: Human Revolution Director's Cut Nears Release

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Human Revolution Director's Cut Nears Release

Deus Ex is heading over to Wii U to first time this month, revisiting various other platforms in the process. Those looking forward to playing the game with a second screen can see how it might augment the experience with this trailer.

[ Story ]
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 10-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Apparently you can get the Steam version for $5 if you bought the original game + Missing Link on Steam (not sure if that includes the PC retail version, which required Steam).

Honestly, even with the re-vamped boss fights, I'm not really sure I feel like playing this game again. It's a good game, but inferior to the original in pretty much every conceivable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Apparently you can get the Steam version for $5 if you bought the original game + Missing Link on Steam (not sure if that includes the PC retail version, which required Steam).

Honestly, even with the re-vamped boss fights, I'm not really sure I feel like playing this game again. It's a good game, but inferior to the original in pretty much every conceivable way.
    I can only see this as being blind nostalgia talking. I replayed the original recently... and it was painful. Incredibly archaic visuals, level design (some levels were bordering on being empty). For it's time it was fantastic and the RPG mechanics as well as freedom to approach levels in different ways still holds up well, as does the story. But HR inferior in every way? I want some of what you are on!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post

I will. The revamped boss fights means that it's no longer straight up combat. You'll be able to stealth takedown, or maybe even avoid them altogether. And New Game +? Check and mate, perfect for me.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    I can only see this as being blind nostalgia talking. I replayed the original recently... and it was painful. Incredibly archaic visuals, level design (some levels were bordering on being empty). For it's time it was fantastic and the RPG mechanics as well as freedom to approach levels in different ways still holds up well, as does the story. But HR inferior in every way? I want some of what you are on!
    Ok, not inferior in terms of graphics. I think that on the whole Deus Ex had better art design than HR (Not big on the renaissance fashion, or the yellow filter), but obviously HR looks precisely as superior as you'd expect from a game released 11 years later.

But HR falls down in all the ways that elevated Deus Ex from a great game to one of the best of all time. The character customization system has a lot less depth, with less choice to be had (there are no mutually exclusive options), and less abilities to play around with. The levels are smaller, don't offer as many different paths to your objective, and the hidden paths aren't anywhere near as well disguised. There's also less mechanical depth to them, which makes them less interesting to play through; lighting isn't important (ie there are no darkened areas), and there are no areas where you have to swim. Lots of the mechanical changes were for the worse, in my opinion: takedowns offer far less depth than DX's melee weapons, simplifying lockpicking/multitools into hacking removed a whole dimension of resource management from the rest of the game, and regenerating health did much the same (along with the removal of location-based HP system). The two main new mechanics HR brought to the table, the hacking and speech minigames, were about as shallow as you'd expect minigames to be.

On the story end, the plot isn't as well developed (the characterization of the game's villains is extremely weak), and isn't as well paced either. Deus Ex narrative was very snappy, like an 80s action movie, and covers a lot more ground across a more diverse range of locations than HR's narrative does in almost twice the time (took me about 15 hours to be Deus Ex, compared to about 30 for HR). On top of that, the plot isn't as flexible; you can't kill major plot characters before you're meant to like in the original (Anna Navarre, Maggie Chow), nor can you run away from them instead of fighting only to see them pop back up again later in the game (Simons). Plus, even though Jenson is admirably the more stylish PC, Denton was a much more personable character.

There's probably some other stuff I've forgotten, but those are my major complaints. It’s still a good game, probably the 3rd best I played in 2011 (after The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls), but it’s not Deus Ex good.
    Last edited by Drav; 10-14-2013 at 04:25 AM.