Thread: Embrace the Darkness in Tales of Xillia 2

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Embrace the Darkness in Tales of Xillia 2

Tales of Xillia 2 is said to have a dark story, and this trailer takes that darkness literally. Do not adjust your sets, simply sit back and become one with the colour black.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I read everything dealing with this game, spoilering myself considerably. I can safely say they're right, this may be the darkest Tales game that has ever existed.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I can't wait! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the original, probably my favorite right next to the original Symphonia and Vesperia. If this sequel is even close I will be satisfied.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Now there's a fine line between darker and more mature. So let's hope it's more the latter than the former, because darkness without maturity is pretty worthless most of the time.

Though I'm not too worried. Most people consider this the strongest tales entry amongst fans. I might get it even though I had no interest in Xillia 1.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 10-16-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Wow... Have never really played Tales games, but that trailer really looks epic and catches my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperknees91 View Post
    Now there's a fine line between darker and more mature. So let's hope it's more the latter than the former, because darkness without maturity is pretty worthless most of the time.

Though I'm not too worried. Most people consider this the strongest tales entry amongst fans. I might get it even though I had no interest in Xillia 1.
    Why get it if you had no interest in the first? The two are literally directly related. You'll miss out on a lot of lore as well as a fantastic game.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Why get it if you had no interest in the first? The two are literally directly related. You'll miss out on a lot of lore as well as a fantastic game.
    Well I hear you can play this one without Xillia, it stands by itself (possibly not but I'm sure I can look up anything I'm curious about).

I had no interest in Xillia because nothing about it intrigued me (plus a large majority of it was spoiled for me before it was even released). This one however seems to have a far better plot from what I've heard. I won't lie, I'm kinda tired of Tales and I might not end up getting this game. But I'm willing to possibly give it a shot based on so much well received fan reception.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 10-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Looks great. I must admit, though, even though I found Xillia intriguing, it fell kinda flat. If -I- (she who does not care of obtaining all trophies) can platinum this game in only 1 run with each character, then its really easy...Everything was, kinda, handed to you. If you didn't stumble upon the "?" people yourself, the skits would basically say: "You need to go -x- there is an event there"...

I guess Tales of Vesperia's over-complicated short-timed, long drawn-out sidequests, ruined me for all time. Getting that weapon for Flynn fighting those stupid sword dancer monsters in the lava zones irritated me, the long 100 floor Spiral thing... ugg... I only sux that I had to redo that thing due to a glitch with Yuri's costume in play2.... And I STILL haven't gotten Yuri's stupid bunny ears.
    ...I think I even spent longer in Tales of Rebirth than Tales of Xillia. >.> I don't remember...that story was long, though...

I mean I'm looking forward to Xillia 2; I want it and don't want to wait, and the darker the better. Seems my favorites are the ones of darker stories or even darker back-stories. But, right now it's Vesperia, Abyss, and Destiny as my top three; and I don't think anything can topple those.

Eh, gosh, I'm being a fanatic here, I'll go away...

Oh man, I loved the fact that you got skits telling you where a bunch of the side quests were. The fact that it's so easy to miss those events has always been a strike against the series for me (and I love Tales).

And don't go away! We welcome all Tales-related fanatacism (that doesn't involved griping about unlocalized Tales games in unrelated threads) here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Oh man, I loved the fact that you got skits telling you where a bunch of the side quests were. The fact that it's so easy to miss those events has always been a strike against the series for me (and I love Tales).

And don't go away! We welcome all Tales-related fanatacism (that doesn't involved griping about unlocalized Tales games in unrelated threads) here!
    :/ I just considered it a hand-out.. I didn't really have to try very had in ToX except for the stupid experience dampening thing I didn't discover until my brother noticed it. Kinda was irritating when I did...
    ..I mean no one told me 'not' to fry the egg in Tales of Destiny and the Dragon popped up. And I never knew that Kongman was even a player character nor that you could get Mary back, or even get Chelsea in the party, but heck, I did it all guide-less and the one who really kicked the end-boss's butt: Chelsea with her freaking awesome archery...!

It was just really, REALLY, easy if you knew how to do it. I loved it... Just...it was almost too easy.... like Tales of Destiny's Remake (and they changed some of the story which ticked me off). >.>

Well I welcome that their trying to cater to players who prefer more linear experiences. Contrary to popular gaming belief, not everyone loves exploration with all their heart and soul. It's a welcome addition if there is a lot of thought into it but otherwise it can ruin the pacing of the game for some players. Which in turn, causes them to get either frustrated or bored with the game.

Basically you can't make an RPG to please everyone anymore.

It's not exploring which bugs me, it's the backtracking. Especially in the earlier Tales games, there were far too many things that you could miss if you didn't return to every old location between every plot point searching for events. That's not exploring so much as it is tedious revisiting of old content. Xillia generally only gives you hints that you should return to old locations in order to find new events, and that strikes a nice balance for me. I still found hidden stuff by thoroughly exploring the world, although I bet it would have helped if Xillia had had a more extensive world to explore.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Ocelot, originally Elympios was going to be pretty big. But they had to cut back on it for some reason or another. Hell, from what I heard originally it was supposed to be the 75% or halfway mark of the game!
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.