Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: This Kindom Hearts III Trailer Is a Roller Coaster

  1. #1
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,936

    This Kindom Hearts III Trailer Is a Roller Coaster

    This Kingdom Hearts III trailer reminds us that the series is pretty neat when it's all about Disney nostalgia. Go ahead, take a ride on Big Magic Mountain.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

  2. #2
    i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    scottsdale,az
    Posts
    1,062
    kinda looks like an HD ps2 game. I see no reason at all why this game couldn't be on current gen hardware.
    sup?

  3. #3
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    kinda looks like an HD ps2 game. I see no reason at all why this game couldn't be on current gen hardware.
    This is probably a super-early build, maybe even pre-alpha, so I'd hold off on that kind of talk unless it still looks like this closer to release.

  4. #4
    i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    scottsdale,az
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    closer to release.
    Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I won't be around long enough for the sun to go supernova, so I need to comment on the graphics now before my bones are dust.
    sup?

  5. #5
    Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,768
    Our sun isn't going to turn into a supernova. It will become a red giant. Same result, but there's still a difference. :P
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

  6. #6
    A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Batesburg, South Carolina
    Posts
    4,532
    That was just...wow.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

  7. #7
    Member Confessor Rahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    6,471
    Note: Work in progress gameplay


    www.powerlinemag.com

    "I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

  8. #8
    The Gratitude Pokemon Shaymin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dartmouth, New Sealand, Canada
    Posts
    1,028
    I look forward to playing this when my son has graduated from university.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

  9. #9
    Member Cidolfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,515
    The point is not "will it look better closer to release" - the point is, does it NEED to look better than this? It's a KH game. I'd argue no. So I agree that there is no reason it couldn't be released on current gen hardware.

  10. #10
    Member Confessor Rahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    6,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    The point is not "will it look better closer to release" - the point is, does it NEED to look better than this? It's a KH game. I'd argue no. So I agree that there is no reason it couldn't be released on current gen hardware.
    Of course there is a reason. Maybe they want a high profile game to be released on the upcoming console generation. It will be a system seller for many people. We know very little about the game at this point, so there could a be a myriad of reasons why they chose to release it on the upcoming generation's systems (soon to be current gen).

    With that said, there is a significant install base for the PS3/XBox, so to my senses, it does seems a little odd.


    www.powerlinemag.com

    "I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

  11. #11
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I won't be around long enough for the sun to go supernova, so I need to comment on the graphics now before my bones are dust.
    That's a generous time frame, I was expecting KH3 to see a release as we watch the sun go black hole from a safe distance on the newly colonized Earth 2.

  12. #12
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    That's a generous time frame, I was expecting KH3 to see a release as we watch the sun go black hole from a safe distance on the newly colonized Earth 2.
    In that case, they darn well better be putting in a world from The Little Mermaid: Robot Ariel's Revenge: The Terminating, my favourite future Disney franchise.

    Edit: You can definitely see some signs of advanced graphical capabilities at work. They're just more subtle than, say, the jump to HD graphics this generation. Look at the water and lighting effects, as well as the level of detail in the interface, like Sora's animated face in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 10-16-2013 at 10:24 AM.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

  13. #13
    Meanwhile, Valve fans will still be waiting for Half-Life 3...

  14. #14
    Couple of things of concern.

    1. Return of menu. This feels silly, it's clunky and archaic to use a menu in any sort of action game. It might have seemed novel at first but after awhile you realized it's many weaknesses. Not even Souls or MH use a menu for something as simple as attacking and both are trying to be as archaic as possible. Why not just use the Ys Seven system if they want shortcut commands? (That's all people really use the menu for anyway).

    2. Return of MP. Once again...why is this necessary? Sure it'll be a charge bar but all it does is make players more likely to only use cure or healing spells.

    3. Will this actually have good RPG aspects? BBS while not a fantastic action game, made up for it by it's addictive spell combining system. This made grinding and what not actually fun (which is gold for any RPG). However this was removed from DDD which made the game a total snorefest in comparison. Let's be honest here, KH is not a great action game by any stretch of the imagination. However as an RPG it's had it's moments of fun.

  15. #15
    Under watcher LordKaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    3,290
    Keep in mind that this is just a test run. It's possible that all of what you see can be scrapped at any moment since this is pre-alpha
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

  16. #16
    Member HeeHo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,012
    It is definitely shinier than LR, imo. Yeah, it coulda been this gen hardware but it wouldn't look like that with the same prrformance. I quite liked it. Reminds me a lot of the first KH.

  17. #17
    Member TheAnimeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, New mexico
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperknees91 View Post
    Couple of things of concern.

    1. Return of menu. This feels silly, it's clunky and archaic to use a menu in any sort of action game. It might have seemed novel at first but after awhile you realized it's many weaknesses. Not even Souls or MH use a menu for something as simple as attacking and both are trying to be as archaic as possible. Why not just use the Ys Seven system if they want shortcut commands? (That's all people really use the menu for anyway).

    2. Return of MP. Once again...why is this necessary? Sure it'll be a charge bar but all it does is make players more likely to only use cure or healing spells.

    3. Will this actually have good RPG aspects? BBS while not a fantastic action game, made up for it by it's addictive spell combining system. This made grinding and what not actually fun (which is gold for any RPG). However this was removed from DDD which made the game a total snorefest in comparison. Let's be honest here, KH is not a great action game by any stretch of the imagination. However as an RPG it's had it's moments of fun.
    Sadlly your point three is like any good sword, two edged. On the reverse is that in the current market those people who really like overly grindy games are becoming fewer and fewer due to time restrictions getting bigger and other things eating up time. I appreciate grinding but unfortunately I don't have as much time to devote to grinding as I used to not just with full time job but also being a father. But even younger crowds, which admittedly it was gaming is more so aimed at a younger audience in general. Admittedly it takes us adults to buy stuff generally. But sadly the days of grinding in games are getting fewer and fewer. Unless it's an SRPG.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

  18. #18
    Well actually in BBS it certainly isn't required to grind. It's just fun to do so, because you unlock new abilities and spells along the way. This is partly what made KH1 and 2 fun as well but it was sorely lacking in DDD.

    I don't feel like the games should ever be grindy though, just they should look for ways to make the grind fun if the player wishes to engage in that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •