Thread: RPGCast - Episode 283: "Aisles of War"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 283: "Aisles of War"

RPGCast - Episode 283: "Aisles of War"

At Aisles of War we have all your maritime warfare needs. From Spanish galleons to French corvettes our ship selection is unparalleled. We also have the new Waterlanders Swab Force available just in time for the holidays. So come on down to Aisles of War, we'll keep the lighthouse on for ya.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/283

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Aisles of War"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

In addition to Other M and Mario Kart, Nintendo has had to recently patch Skyward Sword and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team for game-crashing bugs. Hopefully this is just a rough patch and they get back to good working order soon.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    OK, first the question of the week. Honestly, I'm not sure there's any way to fix Final Fantasy. The main problem with the series has been an insistence on putting ever more spectacular graphics above everything else, to the point where game worlds have grown smaller and more linear. Not that JRPGs haven't always been linear experiences, but there was always a lot more room to explore and just get lost off the beaten path pre-FFX. Modern FF games feel like a straight line with little room for the sort of world-trekking we used to do on the SNES and PS1. This is also an issue since the series' improving graphical quality has only served to make the silly character designs of Tetsuya Nomura all the more ridiculous. Final Fantasy has become the epitomy of flash over substance, and the flash is more embarrassing than awesome. It's fundamental issue of design philosophy, and I don't see it going away any time soon.

Also, I see I should have better explained the whole Warriors Orochi 3/Musou Orochi 2 thing. Naming between the western and Japanese versions of the games can be a bit odd. In this case, what we got as Warriors Orochi 2 was what Japan called Musō Orochi Maō Sairin, or Unmatched Orochi: Rebirth of the Demon Lord. When Japan got a game that was actually called Musou Orochi 2, Koei America simply named it Warriors Orochi 3. This is not the first time this has happened. For example, Shin Sangoku Musou 1-7 are Dynasty Warriors 2-8, because Dynasty Warriors, the PS1 fighting game, was simply Sangoku Musou. This would also happen with Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 1 and 2, which were called Hokuto Musou and Shin Hokuto Musou, respectively.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I kinda love Chris' sales pitch for Extra Life in that we should only donate to him. However, you shot yourself in the foot by not offering prizes the way Paws did.

It's okay Chris, we still love you.

(p.s. donate to me!)

Mybad, apologies to people about my assertion that the new class Scion in Path of Exiles levels faster.
    This is because I became delusional and believed that the scion had all the hallmarks of a prestige class (like the deathknight in Wrathof hte Lich King , WoW). And will be overpowered.
    A reminder to people not interested in Path of Exiles but care about steam trading cards - yes steam trading cards for this game too, and it's a free game.
    Last edited by Balance; 10-24-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: temporary insanity due to favourite game release

Wink

Cheating? First Paws is using strategy guides for pokémon, and then she can't even complete her dream game without checking its FAQs. Shameful!
    Of course I blame Chris for this casual gaming streak, because now she is married she's starting to let herself go!

Hey it's o.k. I can say that joke. My best friend uses game guides and that's all it takes, right?

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    wow, Anna way to make us all feel a little slimy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    wow, Anna way to make us all feel a little slimy.
    Wait what how where huh?

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    This isn't even the first time Nintendo fixed a bug in a Pokemon game. Ruby and Sapphire had a glitch related to the clock that eventually prevented berries from growing. Nintendo patched the GBA carts via Game Stop and other stores, where people could go and connect their games to a GameCube (at least I think it was a GameCube) with a special demo disc. The disc even gave out a shiny Zigzagoon holding a rare Leichi Berry. The patch was also available through FireRed and LeafGreen (requires a second GBA), Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon XD, Pokemon Channel, and Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire. You could even just send the games to Nintendo.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Also, the worldwide release means they didn't have a chance to have Japan beat it to a pulp to find glitches. There's an infamous glitch in the 4th gen DS games that actually could lead to event Pokemon locations that got patched in localization.

And let's not get into the cluster*bleep* that is RBY. I swear you could make the game collapse by removing a line of code.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Wait what how where huh?
    I think he means the whole bit where you said you were giving prizes to those who donate to you! :P

I can clarify that next podcast.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Also, the worldwide release means they didn't have a chance to have Japan beat it to a pulp to find glitches. There's an infamous glitch in the 4th gen DS games that actually could lead to event Pokemon locations that got patched in localization.

And let's not get into the cluster*bleep* that is RBY. I swear you could make the game collapse by removing a line of code.
    Haha, people like to believe that games weren't as buggy in the past. It's great to have reminders that the good ol' days weren't always so good...

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Post What is Wrong With and How to Fix Final Fantasy

Well, in order to understand how we can fix the Final Fantasy series, we must first understand where the series went wrong and where in the series the proverbial wheels began to fall off of the wagon. To this end, you must look at the Final Fantasy at which the current trend of the series was set and during which the current series’ innate focus on graphics was set into stone and also during which the series began its slow, but inevitable decline into irrelevance. The game that best fits this description is Final Fantasy VIII. Final Fantasy VIII’s focus on graphics and the game’s wanting to be a movie and its relatively flashy battle animations that took much longer to complete robbed the game of what it could have been. Final Fantasy VIII was also a technical marvel for the time, but it is here that we begin to realize just how much focus was put on the graphics, as not only the story, but also the music suffered as a result. It was this focus on realism by Final Fantasy VIII that led to the focus on realism being so prevalent in all subsequent Final Fantasies (excluding IX and XI). Also, in addition to Square’s single-minded focus on all things graphical and technological, the main fault in the way that the series has been derailed is the absence of the two progenitors of the Final Fantasy Series: Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobou Uematsu. These two men’s impact on Final Fantasy is too large to be ignored as Sakaguchi-san did, in fact, invent the series. It is the lack of the presence of these two men behind the proverbial steering wheel of the Final Fantasy series that has made the series go off track as much as it has. As a long time fan of Robert Jordan, I know what it means for a well-beloved series to be given to a relative “outsider” and how it feels to be given something different than what was expected. To be honest, Sakaguchi-san and Uematsu-san are as much of a part of the Final Fantasy experience as Cloud, Sephiroth, and Kefka ever were. For example, would the final battle in Final Fantasy VI have been nearly as good without Uematsu-san’s track ‘Dancing Mad’ accompanying the battle, I think not. This is evident in what is shown in an article by Kotaku titled “This Generation's Best Final Fantasys Weren't Named “Final Fantasy””. In this article, Richard Eisenbeis explains that the best two experiences reminiscent of past Final Fantasies were not Final Fantasy X-2, XII, XIII, or XIII-2, but rather The Last Story and Lost Odyssey. To this end, The Last Story and Lost Odyssey both, but more so (from my experience) The Last Story, focus on the characters and their experiences rather than having to stay within a predefined canon at all times. The progenitors of a project are just as much a part of that project’s evolution as the canon itself. The Last Story was set in a rather generic world, but the characters were so impressive and fleshed out, and the relationship between Zael and Calista so interesting and real that it more than made up for the lackluster story elements. This something that Final Fantasy has lacked, arguably since Final Fantasy IX, is a soul, a sense of what the game is to the player and to itself. Graphics do not make all of what a game is, they do not set the limits for what a game can be. Nomura-san, among others, has corrupted what made Final Fantasy good to begin with, its believability. Since these characters are dressed in ways that seem ridiculous and most impractical, it does not lend credence to the fact that these are actual human characters. To close, I draw on example from Xenoblade Chronicles, my personal favorite RPG and game of all time, which has also been nominated for several “Best RPG of this generation” awards, to make my point. Xenoblade’s graphics are nothing special, in fact, they are not among the best on the Wii, and are not technically marvelous. However, there is something underneath that 480p skin that is more important than the graphics ever could ever be, soul. Xenoblade’s soul is in its music, its characters, its world, its plot, and its art direction, something that Final Fantasy has not had since Uematsu-san and Sakaguchi-san sought employment elsewhere.

Hi I've been listening for about a year. so HI. Question: when you guys were talking about your backlog of games, what was that app that let you organize them so you can finish them?