Thread: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Dated in West

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Dated in West

Tales fans in North America and Europe will be able to get their Symphonia on early next year. For an additional monetary investment, they can get their Symphonia on under the watchful eye of Chibi Lloyd.

[So cute!]

Very Special Tales Thread Rule: As always, no kvetching about unlocalized Tales games here! Kvetching is an awesome word, by the way.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Not getting the Collector's Edition, but I already got the regular edition paid off. Main reason why no Collector's Edition is because that extra $50-60 can be used on Tales of Xillia 2. Plus well...I have no use for figurines.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Same, no need for figurines. I'll save that money for Bravely Default later this year.

So are these just graphical updates or are they addressing some of "negatively reviewed" game elements in DOTNW? I don't think I will every play the first game again, and the second is on my list to play for the first time, but I'm not sure it is worth buying just for better graphics.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    I'm an idiot, I'll pay for cute Symphonia figurines (even if Sheena isn't one of them, booo) :P. Also book!

I'm pretty these are just graphical updates, basically the same as all the HD remasters for other games.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

No, not JUST the HD-ification, don't forget the PSN Trophies! Anyone?... Just me? Hmm.

Anyway, I don't really need the figures either. $60 is pretty steep for them, and anyway, the fiancee banned me from getting CEs with figures after Skyrim.

I would get it but I doubt I'll find it for sale anywhere. I have a particular soft side for collector's editions with plushies and figures.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, I'm not getting the Limited Edition for sure, but I do rather like those figurines.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Why complain? We're getting more tales games than we did before. Already have my limited edition preordered. It's kind of nice that Namco-Bandai have found a way to make western releases profitable for them. Does anyone know if the Symphonia 1 release is based on the PS2 version or the Gamecube version? It would be nice to get the extra content from the PS2 version.
    Last edited by scrumly1; 10-24-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Grammar and punctuation

It's based on the PS2 version, scrumly. Meaning NEW CONTENT! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    User Database Check

This version is indeed based on the PS2 version, but the original themesongs are also back (though remixed) so we get Starry Heavens and such. As well, they've thrown in some additional costumes based on Vesperia (I find it hilarious that we're still seeing a lot of Vesperia DLC and crossover stuff, but they never really do that for Graces (f) or Xillia. For instance, Project X Zone having Yuri, Estelle, and Flynn as the Tales representation, despite not being the most recent cast by any stretch.)

I have a big soft spot for Symphonia and the whole Aselian story/timeline, so I'm honestly all over this one, I actually have the CE preordered. I fully admit I don't have enough space to be buying all of these collector's editions, but I do love them, so I can't complain there. I swear if we get one for Xillia 2, I might die. Hopefully I'll live long enough to play the game, though. :P

I actually hope there's some Graces F costumes in here. Lloyd as Asbel, Genis as Hubert, Raine as Pascal, Presea as Sophie, Regal as Malik, etc. The scary part is if you think about it, the Graces cast fits the Symphonia cast a little TOO well.
    User Database Check

Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Yes and no.

They're remixed versions, so...

Symphonia actually has two:

Remix of the PS2 version (So****e Boku Ni Dekiru Koto Ver. 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50t-n6vRvqQ&t=2m50s

And the Gamecube version (Starry Heavens Ver. 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50t-n6vRvqQ

DotNW has this (Ninin Sankyaku ver. 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSWq_8p0Q8

Both games are ports so Symphonia 1 is a port of the PS2 game and dawn of the new world is a port of the Wii version with no new changes save for being in HD for the graphics.

Though for dawn of the new world the motion controls of the Wii maybe mapped to the right analog stick making those parts of the game easier to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Veghabe View Post
    Though for dawn of the new world the motion controls of the Wii maybe mapped to the right analog stick making those parts of the game easier to finish.
    THE main reason that game is is on my shelf collecting dust.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I never had any major problem with the motion controls. It's only used for two or three mini-games, the Sorcerer's Ring (which is pretty intuitive: point at the screen and fire), and some short cuts in battles (which are a bit finicky).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Takara_Kitsune View Post
    This version is indeed based on the PS2 version, but the original themesongs are also back (though remixed) so we get Starry Heavens and such. As well, they've thrown in some additional costumes based on Vesperia (I find it hilarious that we're still seeing a lot of Vesperia DLC and crossover stuff, but they never really do that for Graces (f) or Xillia. For instance, Project X Zone having Yuri, Estelle, and Flynn as the Tales representation, despite not being the most recent cast by any stretch.)

I have a big soft spot for Symphonia and the whole Aselian story/timeline, so I'm honestly all over this one, I actually have the CE preordered. I fully admit I don't have enough space to be buying all of these collector's editions, but I do love them, so I can't complain there. I swear if we get one for Xillia 2, I might die. Hopefully I'll live long enough to play the game, though. :P
    Vesperia was really popular in Japan, right? I recall hearing something about Yuri repeatedly winning favorite-Namco-character contests after the game's release to the point he was retired. It was on TVTropes.

I am SO stoked. Anything Tales related makes me just giddy. I've never bought a collector's edition before, so this might have to be my first! I tried for Xillia, but they were all sold out.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scrumly1 View Post
    Why complain? We're getting more tales games than we did before.
    Are we? We haven't missed at least some version of each console main-series title since missing Rebirth so this has been par for the course for a long time.