Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 284: "Feedback Frenzy"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 284: "Feedback Frenzy"

RPGCast - Episode 284: "Feedback Frenzy"

From realism in Final Fantasy games to the sordid history of Pokémon patches, we get all sorts of feedback this week. And then we play Candybox. Extra Life is next week, please donate!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/284

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Feedback Frenzy"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I have bought this, I will henceforth be shutting up about the 3DS region lock and just dealing with it.

EDIT: Yes, I bought Pokemon Y too.
    Last edited by Quin; 10-26-2013 at 03:13 PM.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Well, a Japanese 3DS is more in line with the games you play, so yeah.

Hope you can read through Pokemon, though. I know you know some Japanese, but that's a very text-heavy game.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

The PP in the new Neptunia game's title is probably a play on the musical notation for pianissimo, which is two lowercase P's.

I'm still a bit disappointed that chris didn't mention in news that mugen souls Z was to be localized
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Well, a Japanese 3DS is more in line with the games you play, so yeah.

Hope you can read through Pokemon, though. I know you know some Japanese, but that's a very text-heavy game.
    The Japanese release, like the North American and European ones, can be played in seven languages (English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, German and Italian). He can play it in English, Japanese, or whatever he'd like.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    The Japanese release, like the North American and European ones, can be played in seven languages (English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, German and Italian). He can play it in English, Japanese, or whatever he'd like.
    That's pretty cool... Though one has to wonder who'd use that in Japan, aside from importers like John...

People who live in Japan and don't want to play their games in Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    People who live in Japan and don't want to play their games in Japanese?
    Not sure how many of those people there are... Japan's not exactly the most immigrant-friendly nation on the planet...

Anyway, on iPad VS PS4, I'd definitely go PS4. If you're getting iPads practically every year, is it really so substantial an upgrade? And, as Chris has learned with the 5S, there's the question of when any extra stuff will be used. I mean, if the iPad is your primary gaming device, which I can't see being the case, the PS4 would be the better choice. There's some good games out at and near launch, as long as you're willing to look beyond the JRPG wheelhouse.

On whether Final Fantasy is made for Japan mainly, I can't imagine that's the mindset with the amount of money being spent on these things. Compared to Monster Hunter or Tales, FF budgets are astronomical for just Japan. Chris is right - if SE's FF teams only really care about Japan, the budget needs to be scaled back.

Seriously? It's for [insert one of the languages here] for people who don't live in [country where language of choice is not dominant].

Also, in this case it's an iPad to an iPad Mini, and that is a substantial upgrade -- especially since the size of the current iPad is detracting from the gaming experience. Mind you, I'm biased. There's nothing coming out on the PS4 for me in the forseeable future, but if Chris gets the Mini I get the iPad, and I have quite a few games on it.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Not sure how many of those people there are... Japan's not exactly the most immigrant-friendly nation on the planet...

Anyway, on iPad VS PS4, I'd definitely go PS4. If you're getting iPads practically every year, is it really so substantial an upgrade? And, as Chris has learned with the 5S, there's the question of when any extra stuff will be used. I mean, if the iPad is your primary gaming device, which I can't see being the case, the PS4 would be the better choice. There's some good games out at and near launch, as long as you're willing to look beyond the JRPG wheelhouse.

On whether Final Fantasy is made for Japan mainly, I can't imagine that's the mindset with the amount of money being spent on these things. Compared to Monster Hunter or Tales, FF budgets are astronomical for just Japan. Chris is right - if SE's FF teams only really care about Japan, the budget needs to be scaled back.
    Remind me to talk about this on the podcast.

1) I think what I meant was more that he games are made from a Japanese perspective, mindset, and context and that heavily influences the end product. Sorta that whole Ryan Payton on the MGS 4 dev team pushing more western controls and options on the game's development.

2) On the iPad front, for me its not 1 gaming console vs an other. Like I mentioned before to chris and Mikel, there is so much in life competing for your time and money and you only have so much of each to give. Like anna said, there isn't a ton on either system for me to play so I don't mind waiting a while until there is. As opposed to getting an upgraded high resolution general media consumption device that I have used almost everyday for the past year. So thats where the argument goes for me. not so much iPad games vs ps4 games.

2) On the iPad front, for me its not 1 gaming console vs an other. Like I mentioned before to chris and Mikel, there is so much in life competing for your time and money and you only have so much of each to give. Like anna said, there isn't a ton on either system for me to play so I don't mind waiting a while until there is. As opposed to getting an upgraded high resolution general media consumption device that I have used almost everyday for the past year. So thats where the argument goes for me. not so much iPad games vs ps4 games.
    For general (non-gaming) media consumption, would it be that different from the iPad you currently have? Do you upgrade with every release? I know I mainly use my Nexus 7 for web browsing and controlling my BD-player's YouTube app from my bed, maybe checking out Tumblr, so getting the new Nexus wouldn't be a huge difference for me over the Nexus I got last year...

1) I think what I meant was more that he games are made from a Japanese perspective, mindset, and context and that heavily influences the end product. Sorta that whole Ryan Payton on the MGS 4 dev team pushing more western controls and options on the game's development.
    Well, where people are is always going to influence development, but I can't help but wonder if that's all it is. Again, I go back to Monster Hunter. Game's not exactly the most beautiful thing on the market, but like the similarly trailer-park-pretty Call of Duty here, the game sells like crazy. Then there's Dragon Quest, whose only truly graphically pleasing entry has been 8 (haven't really seen 10), and even that was more style than the sort of raw show of power you see from Final Fantasy. This of course ignores Japan's shift into a primarily handheld market. If the FF developers aren't going to make the effort to make the series more appealing outside Japan, perhaps FF would be best suited as a handheld title...

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    I don't upgrade every year, but yeah the jump from a current iPad Mini to the Retina iPad mini is huge. I'll finally feel more comfortable reading in general and finally enjoy reading comics on that device. Not to mention that the old A5 cheap is starting to show its age and is struggling with both new games and iOS 7, so jump to a chip that is 2 generations better in both graphics and CPU is great. I'm already bumping my head on the limits of the current iPad mini in both resolution and chip. I think with this new one I'll be ok for a few years.

Plus Apple products are great at maintaing their value. So after selling my current mini, the upgrade to the new one won't actually be that expensive, probably less than $200.

- Oh and about the future of Final Fantasy and its sales. When Tomb Raider can sell well above 3 Million units and still be called a disappointment, I think SE has a lot to fix in general when it comes to budgets and expectation
    Last edited by risingsun; 10-27-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Final Fantasy VII was actually the game which started the series on its "decline into irrelevance". The series started out using the RPG basics and aesthetics of Dungeons and Dragons, which was to tell a tale. Narrative was at the core of this entire system. When the series eschewed these basic role playing elements and adopted elements of whatever anime were popular/prevalent, this in my opinion is the moment when the first nail was put in the series' coffin. The more 'anime' Final Fantasy became, the worse the games got despite the jump in graphical and sound technology. The focus shifted away from role playing and story telling...away from narrative, and shifted toward creating essentially 'Playable Anime' complete with all the aesthetics to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    I don't upgrade every year, but yeah the jump from a current iPad Mini to the Retina iPad mini is huge. I'll finally feel more comfortable reading in general and finally enjoy reading comics on that device. Not to mention that the old A5 cheap is starting to show its age and is struggling with both new games and iOS 7, so jump to a chip that is 2 generations better in both graphics and CPU is great. I'm already bumping my head on the limits of the current iPad mini in both resolution and chip. I think with this new one I'll be ok for a few years.
    Now see, that's something else. If it's a large enough leap for general use (and if the OS itself is struggling, then yeah), then that makes more sense. Hell, same reason I updated my old-*** phone (a Samsung Replenish) to a new one this month (a Kyocera Hydro Edge). The Replenish could barely handle media playback at this point, so yeah, if this thing's gonna last three or so years, that's an entirely different conversation.

- Oh and about the future of Final Fantasy and its sales. When Tomb Raider can sell well above 3 Million units and still be called a disappointment, I think SE has a lot to fix in general when it comes to budgets and expectation
    Well, yeah. Obviously there's an issue with the industry at large and unrealistic expectations/budgets, but Square Enix has gone over the deep end. I really get the vibe that SE expected Eidos to make up for all the crazy excess of their Japanese development houses, and that's just not realistic or fair.

Pokémon's target demographic means that, for the most part, the text is written without resorting to more complex kanji (Or indeed, any kanji at all), in order to be accessable to Japanese kids who haven't gotten into the more complex kanji taught at higher levels of the Japanese school system (Gaijin? Am I right here?). To me, this is both good and bad, as there's no guarantee that if I can't read/translate "これは日本語文です" that I can read/translate 'これはにほんごぶんです'. Super Robot Wars is pitched at a slightly older demographic, so is far more prone to flinging out massive walls of kanji.

And, while I have the option of English this time around, I might keep it in Japanese for the challenge.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Well, in the Gen V games, they give the option of kanji or no kanji. I even mentioned it in the impression I wrote for Black/White two years ago, because it was such a nice surprise. In the previous games, the only kanji extant was 円 (symbol for money), which was replaced by the Pokebuck sign in all translations, but the text was always broken up by regular spaces to show where words began and ended (which is usual for texts written for kids with low kanji levels).

You want hard to read? Try the American soldiers in Shin Megami Tensei (SNES). Those guys speak only in katakana, with no spacing and frequent grammatical errors because of being foreign. It's enough to make a guy want to download a ROM translation....

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I so called this.

A while back, I upgraded from the Ipad 2 to the 'new' IPad with Retina. Most people don't notice the difference unless you're comparing them side by side...but as someone who reads a lot of comics and Pathfinder PDF's on the thing, I immediately appreciate the higher resolution on small writing.

So, when I first saw the IPad Mini, I made a face when the low resolution smacked me in the face. I told my wife that in a year, they would have a high res version. In fact, I told her, it wouldn't surprise me one iota if they could have released the high resolution right off the bat, but did this low res first so that early adopters would end up getting two. LOLz.

As far as Final Fantasy... Well, I won't get very deep about my analysis but to say this... while I have enjoyed other games in the series after it for one reason or another, none of them felt like a completely compelling experience to me the way FFVI did. Some came close. Many missed the mark by a long shot afterwards.

OMG please stop eating during the podcast! It sounds so disgusting- everytime y'all do it I have to stop listening - I can't remember the last podcast I've finished... I just turned off another one before the halfway mark.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    On multilingual Japanese releases - people from Asian countries near Japan often import these if they don't speak Japanese but speak English or Spanish or whatever. Also some Aussies import multilingual Japanese games in their endless quest to find games that aren't horribly overpriced.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance