Thread: RPGCast - Episode 285: "Two Girls One Podcast"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 285: "Two Girls One Podcast"

RPGCast - Episode 285: "Two Girls One Podcast"

It's the live Extra Life 2013 special. How many times will Chris die in Dark Souls this year? Will RPGamer make its goal? Can you still donate after listening to this? All this and more is answered!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/285

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Two Girls One Podcast"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Well, I wouldn't call people on facebook or Wii Sports gamers, so all's still right with your parents, Anna.

Seriously though, I just do NOT get the appeal. What's the fun in pay-to-win stuff like Candy Crush or *ville?

Regarding "new gamers," I don't really agree that they're ALL just going to casual titles. There's still a huge and growing market for console gaming.

Also, the Silver Age WAS the 60s. It ran from 1956 to 1970. 1970-1985 represents the Bronze Age, where comic books started to once more deepen their stories and look into real-world social issues like we saw during the Golden Age, which ran from 1938-1950.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 11-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Don't be a snob. They play games, they're gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Unless you ask my fiancee, in which you will find out that mobile/facebook/flash games aren't "games" and the people who play them are not "gamers", because "gamers" are dweebs who need to get a life and "games" are only played on consoles or dedicated handhelds. Except that playing party games like Rock Band and Dance Central don't make you a "gamer" either.

On the other hand, I totally agree with you. Anyone who plays a digital form of media in any way is a gamer. Some people just are a little judgmental of the label and don't want to own it (or let others own it). And some others don't want to admit that casual games are games too.
    Last edited by smacd; 11-04-2013 at 11:11 AM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Most people who play the pay-to-win games don't pay. They just enjoy them in short doses and then come back and play the next day when all the arbitrary timers have refreshed (or whatever).

Although I take major issue with the abusive game design and revenue tools used in a lot of FTP games (and make no mistake that they're abusive... they take advantage of solid cognitive science research in order to take advantage of people who are prone to addiction), I also take issue with people who look down on gamers who enjoy casual/motion gaming. Some of these new gamers will move into so-called "hardcore" gaming, some will not. That's ok! Casual games are a nice bridge between core gamers and everybody else, and we're already seeing that the more abusive forms of FTP game design are wearing out their welcome.

Widespread popularity means that moral panic scares about video games will go the way of moral panic scares about books, movies, and rock 'n' roll music. If only for that reason, we should be happy that so many people love Angry Birds.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

look at all the labels and what people mean by them when they put them on others. Gamers use labels like any other group does. You get the hardcore, the casual, the "gamer", the "girl gamer", real gamer, call of duty gamer, ____fanboy, etc... You wanna find a judgmental group, look at the comment section of any highly visited gaming website.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

This podcast, and the Playstation Blogcast are the only two I listen to where they don't curse.

Well, in non-gaming there's also Freakanomics and Coffee and Markets, but I'm sure the kid would be utterly bored by that.

Gamers with Jobs did a gag episode where they bleeped out all the cursing. I wish they would have kept with it.
    Last edited by kazriko; 11-04-2013 at 11:42 AM.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Thanks for the Silver Age clarification. I know next to nothing about comic history so I was trying my best to remember the details of the Silver Age Batman rumor that I heard from various sources.

To further the discussion on the current state of the Final Fantasy series, Anna was actually proving Manny's point without realizing it. The audience is dwindling because Square Enix is heavily influenced by the western market. Since XIII, the series has shifted enormously from what it was before, to it now being a full-on Action RPG. Continuing to further this change for the sake of change will only lead to a fleeting audience. Fans want a return to the series' roots, not more deviation. The biggest criticism of XIII was its unnecessary aim to appeal to the Call of Duty audience (primarily the result of the "hallways," among other faults), by Square Enix's own admission. And so-far we've had an entire generation of Final Fantasy XIII. It's no wonder the audience isn't the same as before.

There's a reason why SE keeps porting their older titles onto every platform possible, be it FF IV's umpteenth port, remakes on iOS, PSOne classics, PC re-releases, HD remakes.. the audience clearly wants this style of gameplay.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    Thanks for the Silver Age clarification. I know next to nothing about comic history so I was trying my best to remember the details of the Silver Age Batman rumor that I heard from various sources.
    Well, I sure wouldn't be opposed to a Silver Age game. Lord knows gaming is too serious at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot
    If only for that reason, we should be happy that so many people love Angry Birds.
    Not entirely sure I'd put Angry Birds in quite the same place. Certainly there's free-to-play versions, but the last one I saw was ad-supported, and that's whatever. Not only that, but there are several ways to buy full versions of the game, such as the iOS store and the Trilogy release on consoles. Rovio's not Zynga, and I'd never insult them so.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws
    I was partly joking there. I'm the last guy who'd want gaming limited. I just saw the bit of humorous tone in your voice when talking about your mom picking up a Wiimote and thought I'd play along. Sowwies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne
    Fans want a return to the series' roots, not more deviation. The biggest criticism of XIII was its unnecessary aim to appeal to the Call of Duty audience (primarily the result of the "hallways," among other faults), by Square Enix's own admission.
    Well, SE wouldn't be the first OR last company to make the mistaken assumption that making a game more like Call of Duty will help sales. That said, I'm not sure that's the main issue here, as FF hasn't become explosions every other moment quite yet (we'll see with XV), and the recent hallway design can be as much a result of graphical overload as anything else. Also, I'm not sure people want a stagnating series either, as Dragon Quest continues to fail here. Indeed, FF has always been a series that tried new things. It would be betraying the series if they made them all like each other. However, the current focus on generic anime styling and excessively pretty graphics are clearly not the answer.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I actually do a podcast where two of the hosts have younger family who frequently like to listen to see what their dad (co-host)/uncle (me) is up to, so we're all clean. The hard part is finding out what that line is, because I have to restrain myself from swearing like the son of a sailor I am on the show and a "damn" will slip through every now and then. I usually substitute Britishisms like "bloody" instead.

There were some pretty, uh, interesting conversations on the show, which I attribute largely to the fact that someone kept dying during the show.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Love the show (of course). Interesting that this thread became a discussion of gamer cred and identity. People who mobile and facebook game are also gamers, but in denial because of the negative connotations associated with video gamers, whereas we are gamers and proud!
    I think a good alternative name for this podcast would've been Everybody <3's Chris!

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    When you first asked the question about how to save Final Fantasy, I wasn't sure what I'd be able to add. Final Fantasy 6 was such a high point for me as a little kid, then Final Fantasy 7 made me lose hope. I think upon playing 7 I went from thinking that Final Fantasy was an amazing series to thinking that this wasn't something I'd want to spend money on. For me, though, Final Fantasy was saved -- by Final Fantasy 12. If they'd taken out the beginning with all the orphans I'd have been as happy as a clam in high tide (when it's hard to get to clams to dig them out and eat them). Dialing back the comic relief character from Tidus to Vaan, including an epic storyline with intrigue, giving me a large world to play around were enough to make me at least take a look at the Final Fantasies since then.