Thread: Drakengard 3 Hype: Yes vs. No - Editorial Versus Mode

Drakengard 3 Hype: Yes vs. No - Editorial Versus Mode

Drakengard 3 is hitting Japan next month and elsewhere in 2014. Should RPGamers be excited? Will this be another Nier, or will it be more like the two Drakengards before it?

Editorial Versus Mode
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I enjoyed the previous 2 Drakengards, but have not played Nier. I daresay I will enjoy this, especially if this is as bad as the original Drakengard in terms of how dark the story is. I mean Ending A is the ONLY ending without a massive death toll in that game, and even then it could easily be considered a bad ending. Hell, Nier came from Ending E, which was the WORST ending in terms of death toll...pretty much everybody died.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I hope the gameplay is more like Nier as I have trouble with the original Drakengard's battle system. Otherwise I think I want this game mainly because it has so many interesting ladies in it. Hopefully they are also interesting in the actual game and not just in the supplemental media.

Still hoping for as much of a throwback to Drakengard 1 & 2 as possible, with the right adjustments to combat (better tech can handle larger armies on screen at once, etc.) NIER was brilliant, but its combat was generic action RPG (and its weapon system was a huge downgrade from its predecessors). I was so disappointed to read that we'll have to collect parts to upgrade the weapons. Also, only four weapon classes. Anyone remember how the original Drakengard had 8 weapon classes (not including other playable characters)? Then D2 reduced the types of weapons and also limited them to specific characters (bad). Then NIER went down to an embarrassing 3 weapon classes which had to be upgraded via collectibles (worse). At least D3 has gone up to 4 weapon classes, one of which is ranged. That's an improvement... but not when compared with the original.

Why can't we just upgrade weapons like we did in Secret of Mana and Drakengard? Defeat an enemy, get some experience. You level weapons as you level your characters. Simple, effective, and you can choose where to level (unlike NIER where specific enemies with specific (rare) drops are in specific areas). I just don't understand.

One correction to the article:
    Drakengard 3 shares much of that, as Taro Yoko is once again directing and writing
    This is actually the first time Taro is the main scenario writer in the series. The preceding games' stories were largely penned by Sawako Natori, who has written the character novelettes for D3 along with some other prequel-type story (that's a preorder bonus in Japan? can't recall). Either way, Natori is awesome, and she's one of those scenario writers who needs to be picked up by more JRPG developers who need to seriously tighten up their storywriting.

I do not know what I am truly waiting. At least I hope this game will have some different darker setting than other JRPGs and hopefully bringing some emotions out from me trough music and set pieces.

I loved NIER, but I agree that the first Drakengard had the best weapons. I remember collecting and leveling every weapon in Drakengard just to read their backgrounds.
    Currently Playing:

Mystic Ark
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    Dynasty Warriors 8

https://www.amazon.com/author/gilbertfranco

Okay, I guess I am a little bit confuse. From reading the article I get the impression that Nier actually have a connection to this series than having the people who made Nier will be involved with the new Drakengard. So is Nier suppose to be a sequel of sort to Drakengard 2 or something? Never played a single game in this series so...

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    Okay, I guess I am a little bit confuse. From reading the article I get the impression that Nier actually have a connection to this series than having the people who made Nier will be involved with the new Drakengard. So is Nier suppose to be a sequel of sort to Drakengard 2 or something? Never played a single game in this series so...
    Series timeline is as follows...so far.

Drakengard 3 --> Drakengard 1
    Drakengard Ending A --> Drakengard 2
    Drakengard Ending E --> NieR
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post

Ah thanks...that's one of the most confusing connection I have ever seen to a game, I have to admit.

Drakengard is nice for its dark tone and weird story. But only good for the dragon flying bits in terms of gameplay. The dynasty warrior parts though...ugh why do they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperknees91 View Post
    Drakengard is nice for its dark tone and weird story. But only good for the dragon flying bits in terms of gameplay. The dynasty warrior parts though...ugh why do they exist.
    Because they are awesomely fun.

Honestly, I LOVED Nier, and I liked the Drakengard games, so it's exciting for me whichever direction the final for D3 takes. Just glad to see the series stay alive! If I had to choose though, I would definitely hope for more Nier and less D1/2
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post

Getting ending E was almost impossible.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Getting ending E was almost impossible.
    I managed to pull it off. Found a guide online (hard for that time) which had the note list. I just paused, read the next ones, unpaused, and pressed them, before continuing on. The last part will confuse you, because you think you're home free, but there's such a delay before the "you win" thing that you can die due to the diminishing HP. You actually have to spam the attack buttons for the heal at the end.
    User Database Check

im interested because of the adult themes of the game, i have not played the first two (i have them both) but i have played Nier and it was awful so i dont know for sure if i will like it.