Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Review - Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX offered an opportunity for one RPGamer reviewer to try out the series from the start. Those wanting to know how it went can read Severin's Report.

[ *flees* ]
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Your reaction to the game does not surprise me. KH1 has not aged well in the gameplay department, despite the Final Mix version and actually being able to control the camera (you couldn't before). Chain of Memories IMO is nowhere near as good as it was back on the GBA, where it really shined as a portable KH game (look up a few videos on how that one played). 358/2 Days really doesn't make much sense in the long run unless you've already played KH2, and even then some of it is just lolwut territory.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

From my experience with the original, i too found the combat to be very ... well, repetitive.
    Enter new room. Kill stuff. Rise, repeat. Mash mash mash.
    So i ever had the glowing reviews for it that other people have had.
    Still, i went back to Soulblazer recently and STILL SO AWESOME, despite the fact that the combat mechanics are in that game, also tremendously repetitive.
    There are lots of things i like about Kingdom Hearts, and i'll probably give it another play, even if i don't end up finishing it.

I totally agree. Soulblazer is an awesome and timeless game. I remember spending hours on it back when I was a teenager. My favorite level has to be the king's castle.
    Currently Playing:

Mystic Ark
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    Dynasty Warriors 8

https://www.amazon.com/author/gilbertfranco

Will whine for meseta Member SuperHenryJones's Avatar
    I was much more into Illusion of Gaia myself. It suits my style with traveling to all the world's landmarks that are connected to something that could destroy the world. Granted, the ending cheats a bit, but, eh, IoG scratched about every itch I have with such games.

Oh, yeah, we were talking Kingdom Hearts as the main topic. I don't liked to broach the topic because I'm not going to lie: Kingdom Hearts was pretty much one of the biggest letdowns I've ever had in gaming and I am in the minority. It all came off as dull to me. Most of the visits to the Disney worlds are simply repeating the plots of the movies with less than a quarter of the charm, all the levels feel so empty and lifeless (There's a reason for a certain amount of it, but it constantly feels like it's on some kind of set rather than visiting a world, if that makes any sense), the music loops are so short that they become grating with extensive exploration, the level design with event triggering can be needlessly confusing (Tarzan comes to mind), the Final Fantasy characters are treated as mostly precipitate, the camera hates you (I know, this version has a new-fangled camera), the gummy ships are superfluous and not much fun, and I just don't enjoy much of it.
    Like old Henry Jones, but uh...... with an e-mail that hasn't been deactivated for 6 years?

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    KH1 has not aged well in the gameplay department, despite the Final Mix version and actually being able to control the camera (you couldn't before).
    The camera used to be even worse? That's...impressive.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Yeah, KH is not a series you can just jump into. Even the Remix is likely aimed at series purists. While I never thought KH as a whole was a bastion of gaming, I found them to be relaxing, pretty and relatively easy.

I actually think Re:Chain was a better experience than the GBA version, which was punishingly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    Yeah, KH is not a series you can just jump into. Even the Remix is likely aimed at series purists. While I never thought KH as a whole was a bastion of gaming, I found them to be relaxing, pretty and relatively easy.

I actually think Re:Chain was a better experience than the GBA version, which was punishingly difficult.
    I liked the GBA version for that reason.
    User Database Check

Illusion of Gaia was pretty awesome, but it didn't have the same "feel" that I got from terranigma and soul blazer. As for Kingdom Hearts, I agree with Cidolfas that it's a real hard series to get into if you haven't played it from the beginning. I recently bought the psp version for my nephew and he didn't get into it as much as me.
    Currently Playing:

Mystic Ark
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    Dynasty Warriors 8

https://www.amazon.com/author/gilbertfranco

Terranigma ftw. Kinda surprise at the score considering the popularity of the series, but I won't argue it either as its good to see conflicting opinions from time to time. I did like KH when it came out but even back then knew the gameplay was repetitive and I was more interested in how the story would turn out than with most of anything else in that game, the same prove to be true with 2 and probably with the 3rd one whenever it comes out. All the games on the handhelds just seems to make things a bit more confusing than what they need to be so for that the remix does help out a bit, I suppose.

Looking back on it now, if it wasn't for the Disney license, I don't think the game itself could have ever sold as well as it did with its gameplay mechanics with some other story. Still like the game though despite its flaw.

Kingdom Hearts is essentially a poor mans action game. The only one I really enjoyed was BBS for having some really fun rpg mechanics to mess around with.

But yes your much better off playing something like Bayonetta, DMC, or Ninja Gaiden if you want this kind of combat in a game. That way you don't have to deal with silly RPG mechanics potentially handicapping you or making the experience too easy.

...you're calling RPG mechanics silly...on a site for RPGs. And I thought I saw EVERYTHING by now! XD
    User Database Check

I played KH back in the day. It was ok.
    I never could finish KH2.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperknees91 View Post
    But yes your much better off playing something like Bayonetta, DMC, or Ninja Gaiden if you want this kind of combat in a game. That way you don't have to deal with silly RPG mechanics potentially handicapping you or making the experience too easy.
    There's about a Grand Canyon sized gap between Kingdom Hearts and hard action games, so I would recommend people not just jump into those.

I don't know. I think the nostalgia factor is too strong to keep me away from this, even if the mechanics haven't aged well. It really was the charm and the creative use of nostalgic Disney characters and environments (nostalgia on top of nostalgia!) that I enjoyed. I never did get to play Chain of Memories, so I'm still tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Your reaction to the game does not surprise me. KH1 has not aged well in the gameplay department, despite the Final Mix version and actually being able to control the camera (you couldn't before). Chain of Memories IMO is nowhere near as good as it was back on the GBA, where it really shined as a portable KH game (look up a few videos on how that one played). 358/2 Days really doesn't make much sense in the long run unless you've already played KH2, and even then some of it is just lolwut territory.
    Yes, you could control the camera. Not with an analog stick, but with the R and L buttons.

Well RPG mechanics are good for certain kinds of action rpgs and can be incorporated well (like say Ys,BBS, or diablo style action rpgs). But a lot of the time I find that RPG elements can take away more than add to the experience.

Basically it's a lot more difficult to have a well designed action rpg then a Strategy RPG or a Turn-based one. This is because controls, camera, balance, as well as overall depth of combat are all a factor. It's very easy to mess with the balance when you add too many RPG elements. RPGs elements are better in games which are more about resource management I've found. Then again not everyone cares about that I know.

As for the recommendation all the games have an easy mode which shouldn't be any more difficult than KH1 difficulty at the very least. Though agreed for the harder modes. I'm only suggesting those because of the...DBZ ish combat haha.

Then again I'm also a huge hypocrite for saying any of that because my favorite game is TWEWY. So it's not like I discourage action rpg's, it's just that they are easy for developers to screw up it seems. There's plenty of good ones as well though.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 11-06-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperknees91 View Post
    But yes your much better off playing something like Bayonetta, DMC, or Ninja Gaiden if you want this kind of combat in a game.
    I'd guess, then, that having no interest in or skill with those types of games is why I don't recall finding KH to be all that bad, combat wise. (Personally, I miss the days when many more AAA RPGs were turn/menu-based. Unlike the furious button-mashing of, say, FF13/13-2.)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceLion View Post
    I don't know. I think the nostalgia factor is too strong to keep me away from this, even if the mechanics haven't aged well. It really was the charm and the creative use of nostalgic Disney characters and environments (nostalgia on top of nostalgia!) that I enjoyed. I never did get to play Chain of Memories, so I'm still tempted.
    I think if you enjoyed it on its original release you'll still be able to eek out enjoyment from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiralyn View Post
    I'd guess, then, that having no interest in or skill with those types of games is why I don't recall finding KH to be all that bad, combat wise. (Personally, I miss the days when many more AAA RPGs were turn/menu-based. Unlike the furious button-mashing of, say, FF13/13-2.)
    KH combat is not bad, just the pacing and story of the game kinda drains the excitement that a normal action game would give you mainly. Not an issue for everyone of course, and if Kingdom Hearts had a good story to tell it wouldn't even be a problem. Sadly...

I'm kinda ok with turned-based rpgs mainly being on portable devices though and not being so heavy on graphics as they rarely add anything to the game. Plenty of good ones released these days as well that look fine, but I can understand the sentiment as it is a bit lonesome. Mainly I prefer the portable play because of sleep mode.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 11-07-2013 at 07:14 PM.