Thread: Bravely Default Courageously Displays Gameplay

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Bravely Default Courageously Displays Gameplay

The crystal's waning light augurs a greater darkness and it's up to four heroes to stop this evil. As this trailer shows, they will do so with a variety of weapons, spells, and classes.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I'm so excited about this game. Enough that Santa will be bringing me a 3DS XL this Christmas. I'm not terribly excited about multiple endings though. I can't stand the idea of spending 40+ hours playing a game, missing or doing something important wrong, and then getting a "Bad" ending.

The first half of 4 Heroes of Light is one of my surprise favourites, so I'm very excited about this. Looks great.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I'm very excited about this one. I love the art style, and ability to change classes. A true final fantasy game, that isn't final fantasy lol.

FF 4 Heroes of Light was such a disappointment to me that I never finished it. I just couldn't play a game where I had to exit a dungeon multiple times just to restock on healing items because I only had one or two playable characters, and neither one of them could be a White Mage because I wouldn't have enough power to defeat the enemies. Each dungeon I visited was a grindfest, yet in the next one I was underleveled anyway.

I played for tens of hours, yet I never reached the point where I would have all four characters with me, so all those fun supporting classes that they kept introducing went unused because there was nobody to support. All the battle strategies consisted purely of attacking and healing, trying anything else resulted in death. And who the hell came up with the idea of being able to carry a max. of fifteen items INCLUDING equipment on this day and age?! X(

That game did SO many things wrong, even though the art direction was pretty.

That's why I'm hesistant to get excited about Bravely Default, which seems to be a spiritual successor of FHOL

I hope it don't have a inventory so tight. I don't like to drop equipment or items that i would regret later.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Unless something drastic happens, then it will have no limitations on inventory. The original version certainly didn't. I'm still not sure just what HAS changed, though anything that makes the battles go faster would be welcome.

--OK, watched the clip, and my first thought is... "augurs"? Somebody got a thesaurus for Christmas last year. Other than that, the bits of combat footage are too short for me to tell what if anything has been done to it. Everything else seems consistent with the copy I have, hammed up voice acting aside.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 11-10-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Unless something drastic happens, then it will have no limitations on inventory. The original version certainly didn't. I'm still not sure just what HAS changed, though anything that makes the battles go faster would be welcome.

--OK, watched the clip, and my first thought is... "augurs"? Somebody got a thesaurus for Christmas last year. Other than that, the bits of combat footage are too short for me to tell what if anything has been done to it. Everything else seems consistent with the copy I have, hammed up voice acting aside.
    You can speed up battle animations and even choose how frequently combat should occur.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Well you could do that before, too. Speed up the in-battle animations, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    FF 4 Heroes of Light was such a disappointment to me that I never finished it. I just couldn't play a game where I had to exit a dungeon multiple times just to restock on healing items because I only had one or two playable characters, and neither one of them could be a White Mage because I wouldn't have enough power to defeat the enemies. Each dungeon I visited was a grindfest, yet in the next one I was underleveled anyway.

I played for tens of hours, yet I never reached the point where I would have all four characters with me, so all those fun supporting classes that they kept introducing went unused because there was nobody to support. All the battle strategies consisted purely of attacking and healing, trying anything else resulted in death. And who the hell came up with the idea of being able to carry a max. of fifteen items INCLUDING equipment on this day and age?! X(

That game did SO many things wrong, even though the art direction was pretty.

That's why I'm hesistant to get excited about Bravely Default, which seems to be a spiritual successor of FHOL
    I did not have this experience. Perhaps you were trying to play it like a modern RPG? It took more thought and strategy to master the battle system. At first I was annoyed at the inventory thing too, but I started to love it for a reason you unintentionally mention: "in this day and age". We've been so used to hand-holding. 4 Heroes of Light was so satisfying because decisions mattered. I hope Bravely Default is similar.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I did not have this experience. Perhaps you were trying to play it like a modern RPG? It took more thought and strategy to master the battle system. At first I was annoyed at the inventory thing too, but I started to love it for a reason you unintentionally mention: "in this day and age". We've been so used to hand-holding. 4 Heroes of Light was so satisfying because decisions mattered. I hope Bravely Default is similar.
    The both of you have just convinced me to go out and seek this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I just couldn't play a game where I had to exit a dungeon multiple times just to restock on healing items because I only had one or two playable characters, and neither one of them could be a White Mage because I wouldn't have enough power to defeat the enemies.
    But every job could use all the spell tomes (I.e. takes up one item slot to give you cure spell). The White Mage just gets a discount on the White magic AP costs.

Otherwise I played the first 3 FF games by entering/exiting dungeons multiple times (+ some Dragon Quest remakes), so I didn't mind that part about the game.

I played for tens of hours, yet I never reached the point where I would have all four characters with me, so all those fun supporting classes that they kept introducing went unused because there was nobody to support.
    Ironical the first half, with them split up, is claimed to be the better half of the game. (I think the latter half does give plenty of combat for all those "unused classes" though.)

Admittedly I never got that far even though I wanted to go on. I was juggling too many games so had to put some aside. (Still am. Who idea was it to release Layton, Zelda and Bravely Default in the space of 1 month?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sui-kun View Post
    The both of you have just convinced me to go out and seek this game.
    If you like old school games, then it's almost like they skipped straight from FF3 (NES) to making this one.

I.e. A different take on which parts, of a classic RPG, should get brought up to date.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Ha, I think you just nailed why Bravely Default got delayed in North America, Silktail.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance