Thread: RPGCast - Episode 287: "Sleepcon"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 287: "Sleepcon"

RPGCast - Episode 287: "Sleepcon"

Manny wakes up and gives us more Blizzcon details. Jon builds a Titan. The PS4 comes out...and so do we.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/287

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Sleepcon"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............. oh hey just in time to hear the feedback and news part of the podcast.. *yawn* i used to work on saturdays but don't anymore. unless saturday chick takes the day off.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear Chris levying any criticism at all toward Blizzard. Now I can criticize them without being ripped to shreds here! :P

Seriously though, the DRM and anti-controller-on-PC sentiment is all coming from Blizzard. If it were coming from Activision, Call of Duty would require online authentication as well. The sooner people come to the epiphany that Chris seems to have come to, that Blizzard isn't perfect, and the sooner people start calling them out on their bullcrap, the better things will get from them.

Oh, and there's server emulators out there for Diablo 3 is you want to look for them. Same principle as the server emulators for Ubisoft's constant online DRM - just get a program that can spoof the server and you're golden with your cracked game, and probably having a better time than the people who don't crack and emulate.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I don't think anyone out there believes Blizzard is perfect, at least not that I've seen. What I've found with Blizzard is a certain degree of quality and enjoyment from their games. They seem to be able to take a genre that I'd ignore, come out with a game that's fun to play, and do it over and over again. Except for one game, they aren't making games that I see myself going back and replaying in 10 years. But, at least so far, whenever I sit down and play a Blizzard Game, I know it'll at least be a certain amount of fun. I don't think that garners rabid fans, but it's easy to give them the benefit of the doubt when someone levels criticism against them that either doesn't mesh with my experiences with them or just doesn't matter to me.

Is Diablo 3 PS3 better for having offline play like Starcraft 2 does? Sure. Does this affect my enjoyment of the game? Well, not really. I guess I haven't hit a point where Blizzard has made a poor design choice that's affected me yet. Unless you count coming out with Warcraft in every genre (MMO, Card Game, MOBA) except the one I would happily replay over and over.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Here is the episode of Baywatch Nights that I was talking about. Looks like I was wrong, it wasn't Bigfoot or some wild apeman. It was a Zargtha, A dangerous Wolf man/wildman like creature flees from Yogoslavia and begins hunting and killing teenagers.

Last edited by risingsun; 11-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Holy crap, I thought you were making that up, Manny. Well, my faith in humanity is destroyed once more.

Anyway, something I'm surprised didn't come up in the marathon of Blizzcon talk, is Reaper of Souls actually going to be on-disc for the PS4 version, or is it going to be a voucher?

As to GOG/Steam, I'm actually kinda glad they don't provide Steam keys. It keeps the Steam fanboys at least mostly out of the community, and offering Steam keys would only make it harder for the games that aren't on Steam to get attention on the service. Honestly, until Steam people* get over their "If it's not on Steam, I don't want it" jerkassery, keep the Steam keys off GOG. I don't need that attitude infesting the community over there.

(*:OBVIOUSLY I'm not talking about all Steam users, however, the prevalence of this attitude among PC gamers is hurting many indies who make good games that are arbitrarily left off Steam. Turning away from a game because it doesn't have Steam hurts the whole PC platform by making Valve the sole decider of who has a chance to succeed on PC, and that in turn hurts users. The whole damned point of PC is that it's an open platform.)

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Holy crap, I thought you were making that up, Manny. Well, my faith in humanity is destroyed once more.

Anyway, something I'm surprised didn't come up in the marathon of Blizzcon talk, is Reaper of Souls actually going to be on-disc for the PS4 version, or is it going to be a voucher?

As to GOG/Steam, I'm actually kinda glad they don't provide Steam keys. It keeps the Steam fanboys at least mostly out of the community, and offering Steam keys would only make it harder for the games that aren't on Steam to get attention on the service. Honestly, until Steam people* get over their "If it's not on Steam, I don't want it" jerkassery, keep the Steam keys off GOG. I don't need that attitude infesting the community over there.

(*:OBVIOUSLY I'm not talking about all Steam users, however, the prevalence of this attitude among PC gamers is hurting many indies who make good games that are arbitrarily left off Steam. Turning away from a game because it doesn't have Steam hurts the whole PC platform by making Valve the sole decider of who has a chance to succeed on PC, and that in turn hurts users. The whole damned point of PC is that it's an open platform.)
    I think it's going to be a disc-based game.

Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    I think it's going to be a disc-based game.
    Well I know the base game is disc, but I've been burned by too many games with added content that turned out only to have the additional stuff as vouchers (Gears of War 2 GOTY, I'm glaring in your direction), so I hope you'll excuse me this moment of curiosity/paranoia.