Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy X Remake Roars in Like a Lion

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Final Fantasy X Remake Roars in Like a Lion

Or perhaps this HD remake roars more like a Ronso? Either way, it's coming next March, and we have some trailers to go along with the announcement.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 11-21-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Square Enix continues to release trailers that spoil the heck out of the game's plots.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Square Enix continues to release trailers that spoil the heck out of the game's plots.
    Because they assume (rightfully so) that everybody and their mom has already played it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

With great restraint I'll avoid commenting on both HD remakes and spoilerific trailers (and the statute of limitations on spoilers themselves). I will ask this question b/c I'm curious if anyone has some insight:

I wonder what SE forecasts for the % of sales to previous players vs. first-time players. I assume >95%?

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    These games are more then a decade old. we are past the statute of limitations.

Also, SHODAN is actually evil, the a splinter group of the Illuminati called MJ12 is behind everything and the player character is the spawn of Bhaal deposed Lord of Murder.

I agree that 10 years is past the SoL, although I am curious what the number would be...two years perhaps?

I do question the necessity for some spoilers in this trailer. Any trailer will contain some degree of spoilers, and 'clicker beware' is how it must be, but if the point is to show off this game's 'new' features, there are a couple of comments and scenes that could easily be omitted given a bit more thought. Of course, this is only relevant for those who haven't played the game, which brings me full circle to my original question...what % of buyers will be new players?

If you've never played the game and have little knowledge of it, how would you know that these are "spoilers"?

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    These games are more then a decade old. we are past the statute of limitations.

Also, SHODAN is actually evil, the a splinter group of the Illuminati called MJ12 is behind everything and the player character is the spawn of Bhaal deposed Lord of Murder.
    Jesus dies, man. Jesus dies.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
    If you've never played the game and have little knowledge of it, how would you know that these are "spoilers"?
    When you play the game and noticed that you already know about half the stuff that is revealed as plot twists.

Even if RealityChecked's guess that 95% of people interested in this port have already played it is accurate, why ruin it for the 5% who haven't? After all the only thing they really need to show off in the trailer is what the new HD graphics look like; they could practically reuse the original trailers from 2001 with improved graphics for the same effect.
    Last edited by Drav; 11-24-2013 at 06:19 AM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Jesus dies, man. Jesus dies.
    It's only temporary!*

* Depending on your particular religious viewpoint, of course.

Kind of like Sin, I guess. Oops, spoilers!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I've never understood the people who hate spoilers. Your going to play the game or watch the movie anyway. It's more about the journey then the destination, isn't it? I've never met anybody who refuses to see a movie if it gets spoiled, I'm sure they exist, but it's a stupid thing to get hung up on.

Usually if I get something spoiled, then I want to know how the spoiler fits into the plot and why. Telling me that the kids therapist is a ghost in The Sixth Sense actually tells me nothing. It's all about the context of it, not the actual spoiler.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbabylon View Post
    I've never understood the people who hate spoilers. Your going to play the game or watch the movie anyway. It's more about the journey then the destination, isn't it? I've never met anybody who refuses to see a movie if it gets spoiled, I'm sure they exist, but it's a stupid thing to get hung up on.

Usually if I get something spoiled, then I want to know how the spoiler fits into the plot and why. Telling me that the kids therapist is a ghost in The Sixth Sense actually tells me nothing. It's all about the context of it, not the actual spoiler.
    Same here Frozen. It's how I can get spoilered about everything and not really care.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Same here Frozen. It's how I can get spoilered about everything and not really care.
    High five, spoiler-bros!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar

Certain spoilers will rip apart tense moments. Using Killzone: Shadow Fall as an example, if I was told that stage nine would end with Sinclair killing you to perpetuate the war, that would ruin the tension leading up to the end of the stage.

For many people, the experience isn't the same if it's all been spelled out for them ahead of time, especially moments that are supposed to be big reveals. By contrast, Viktor's face-heel turn is expected in Knack, so it's not as dramatic as Sinclair's in Killzone: Shadow Fall.

tl;dr version - Part of the fun is those big reveals that spoilers tend to ruin.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Frozen and Dark, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I admit I'm more sensitive to spoilers than most, and I concur there are degrees of spoilers (as Master mentioned), but to say one would enjoy games as much knowing what's coming is rather hard to imagine.

Perhaps a future poll topic is in order?

I would be very angry if someone spoiled something for me, moreso if someone disrespected my desire to WANT to be surprised. At least have the bloody decency to ASK whether or not I want the story exposed first. On the flip side, I know better to go into fan forums and expect those people who have played a decades old game to death to use the spoiler function like crazy just for my benefit. It's not fair to them, much like how people who think it's MY problem I don't like seeing stories ruined is not fair to me.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    The buildup of tension is pretty important to maintaining my interest in a story. If I know how it's going to turn out, it can dilute the experience significantly. One of my favorite anime series killed off the main character (permanently) part way through; later, putting another character I liked in danger was enough to cause me to panic, because I knew the writer was ready to kill *anyone*. If I'd known how the situation was going to turn out in advance, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective.

When I play something through the second time, I often repeat the same pattern of emotional involvement, even knowing the outcome. But if you tell me the outcome in advance of my first playthrough...then I can become preoccupied with trying to anticipate the event in question, and it really will become about the destination, rather than the journey. Is Aeris going to die in this scene? Maybe the next? Oh, there she goes. Huh. (I hate myself for writing that, even now.) Because of the way my memory works, being spoilered really does affect more than just the first playthrough.

I think the existence of spoiler tags indicates that a lot of people do care about spoilers.

I think I read somewhere, that in Japan, you can expect spoilers in the mass media only a couple weeks after a game is released. Perhaps S/E's marketing engine is focused entirely on sales to previous players of FFX, and they haven't even considered the effect of spoilers. I don't think new players would care much about all the SD/HD comparisons that we've been seeing...
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven

Count me in on the "don't spoil me" list on most things. Some say it's more about the journey than the destination, but I say it's about journey AND the destination. Some people like being surprised by what's coming, even if I can see it coming a mile away. It's that 1% of the time that you think you know what's happening and then it twists and changes completely from what you expected that really gets me. That's one reason I really like whacked out plots that don't make sense, because at least I couldn't see it coming. If you're going to play/watch/read something, why learn the experience before hand? What does it gain you?

One of my friends from college would read every little leak or spoiler about the SW prequel trilogy before we'd go see them. He knew every little details and it drove me nuts to hear him hinting at things. It was like sitting with someone who's already watched a movie and would go "oh, watch this part. this will be good." Screw that, let me experience it myself.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I've never understood the people who hate spoilers. Your going to play the game or watch the movie anyway. It's more about the journey then the destination, isn't it? I've never met anybody who refuses to see a movie if it gets spoiled,(punctuation fail) I'm sure they exist, but it's a stupid thing to get hung up on.

Spoilers ruin the journey, not just the destination, and comma splices are terrible, too.

Anyway, to hell with the FFX remake. It's worthless if Square-Enix isn't replacing the awful English voices, the one aspect of the game that actually needs a makeover.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    Spoilers ruin the journey, not just the destination, and comma splices are terrible, too.
    Oh, To hell with you. If you can't come up with a better retort than lolusukatgrammarlol then don't bother.