Thread: RPGCast - Episode 288: "The One Where We Spoil All Of Assassin's Creed"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 288: "The One Where We Spoil All Of Assassin's Creed"

RPGCast - Episode 288: "The One Where We Spoil All Of Assassin's Creed"

Manny lets loose with what goes on outside the Animus. Chris buys a fedora and is banned from becoming a hipster. Jon downloads Skype but can't talk to anyone. And oh yeah, the Xbox One came out.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/288

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The One Where We Spoil All Of Assassin's Creed"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Honestly, I stopped giving a damn about Assassin's Creed after Brotherhood. That series has all the earmarks of an annualized game - hackneyed story, lack of innovation, and deteriorating designs. At least the Ezio Trilogy has an interesting setting and an awesome city that basically gets overused a bit.

So yeah, I won't be getting Asscreed IV.... >.> <.<

At least Call of Duty has a consistent campaign quality and doesn't straight use levels from previous games...

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I try to play games in the order I obtain them. While I don't keep an extensive list of what I own (I probably should), I'm fairly confident as to what games I bought when. However, I'll often jump to a game I'm really looking forward to, or I'll play something if it's needed for some other reason. example, I jumped to Pokemon Y even though the next game on "to play" list is Pokemon Conquest. It's a fine method for handhelds, but I'm years behind consoles since I play them at about one or two per year.
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

I've recently been in a position where I sort of have to move from one next big thing to the other, and if games are really getting their hooks into me I'll replay them during lulls. Ex: I'll probably restart Fire Emblem Awakening over Christmas.

At this point, I've been winnowing down my backlog by trading games in instead of keeping them if they're not going to grab me. I actually did that with Assassin's Creed IV - never played it, traded it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

My rarest trophy according to PSNProfiles is the one for beating the Gurglewocky in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. I can see that, that was the most frustrating boss battle ever, and I think I spent around 4 hours playing it over and over again until I lucked out and won. 0.97% people have that one. One from Knytt Underground is the second rarest (Hidden ending) and the third is my Hotshots Golf platinum.

I guess I should skip the prior AC games and go play AC4...

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I'm not sure a podcast has so quickly convinced me not to play so many games. All Assassin's Creed Games before 4 are about the main character dying. Well, plot spoiled, guess I don't need to play those. Assassin's Creed 4 is about a game designer. Okay, no to that. Pokemon's ending is like watching Star Wars. Completely out of that one, too. It was almost like you'd just said "If you purchase an Assassin's Creed game, the money goes to Orson Scott Card."

What other video games turn out to be about a game designer trying to make that game, or have endings like Star Wars? While I think that "Shadowrun's Auto-shave feature" would have been a better title, I find I have no leg to stand on concerning Assassin's Creed being spoiled after reading the title chosen. Well played, Paws-free Pawscast.

I don't care how old the Assassins Creed games are, spoiling them was unforgivable (as was giving away what the story is about in AC4, It's a brand new title ffs)

It's struck me for a while now that someone must put a gun to Manny's head to get him to appear on the podcast, as he seems to get more miserable by the episode. So put the gun away and give us a break from the miserable so and so. He might think he is being amusing, but I'll be switching off as I can't stand the arrogance of anyone who thinks their opinion is absolute fact.
    Last edited by Retrovertigo; 11-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Assassin's Creed IV is only very peripherally about a game designer. It's about a pirate, and it's a really great game.

Play the *** Creed games for the ability to romp through history whilst shivving people, not for the silly conspiracy theory modern day stuff.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Assassin's Creed IV is only very peripherally about a game designer. It's about a pirate, and it's a really great game.

Play the *** Creed games for the ability to romp through history whilst shivving people, not for the silly conspiracy theory modern day stuff.
    That's why I play them. I find the stories a bit too messy for my tastes, but I love romping through history, shoving people and jumping on buildings. XD; I can't wait to be a pirate on top of it!

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    I guess the podcast title wasn't a big enough warning :P

Hiya guys, hope this is the right place for feedback =P. I have a few questions and comments I'd like to submit to the panel if that's all right, firstly I've recently acquired a ps3 on a whim and getting a Ds from Santa but I find myself at a loss of what games to get for either and any recommendations would be much appreciated. I have been listening to the back catalogue of Rpgcast and you keep mentioning how good persona 3 is would you recommend someone who has never played it pick it up now? Has it aged well?, the only reason I ask is the price for it seems inordinate for a ps2 game.

Love the podcast peeps keep up the good work and audible eating!

P/s what was with the vehement hate towards mobile gaming so early on when of the panel seem to be staunch advocates now?

For Assassin's Creed, I thought that 1 & 2 were decent, mostly about the Animus part of the story, but I generally didn't care for playing a semi-historical game that portrays a real-world group I'd consider the good side as the antagonists. I decided to drop the series altogether after they added online play. I hate tacked on multiplayer. I do want an end to the Animus story though, so I think its time to go look up a story spoiler on youtube for AC3.

For backlogs, when Chris was talking about a site that does the calculations, I was yelling HowLongToBeat! Glad it came around to that. My current estimate from that site is 185 days, plus a few games with no time estimates. At my current rate of play, thats 5-6 years assuming I obtain no more games. Its definitely affected how I play games now. I am at a point where I don't want to waste time anymore. I no longer play for completion in most cases, I play to finish the game.

How I go about tackling my backlog is a bit ad-hoc. My backlog currently covers 5 handhelds, 5 consoles, and pc. I usually try to keep at least 1 handheld and 1 console game in progress (though generally I juggle around 4 at a time- 2 handheld, and either 2 console, or 1 console and 1 PC). When it comes to choosing my next game, I generally try to alternate between which consoles I play, so I can attack my backlog evenly- with some preference for my 360 as well as my oldest incomplete console games (so PS1). Once I pick the next game's system, I look at my incomplete list and try to pick a game, or I ask a specific friend for a selection. Sometimes I do this with HowLongToBeat's "Random" button, or lately I'm sorting by estimated completion time and playing the shortest ones to knock a few games off the backlog faster. Sometimes I have an itch for a specific game or style of game. When I'm trying to play through a specific series- like I did with Star Ocean last year (still have to do SO4- the achievements are intimidating), Wild Arms this year, or Suikoden next year, I generally play them in order, and try to put a few other games between each so that I don't get burned out. So every 2 or 3 games I'll play the next one in line for the series. Its pretty rare for me to play a game that isn't at least a year old, or more - exceptions being Bethesda games. If a game has DLC, I pretty much never touch them until I believe all the DLC has been released.

I like what Nyx has been doing with community polls to select her next game, but I'd rather not be yet another person crowd-sourcing for suggestions every few weeks.

My rarest trophy is DOOMed Veteran in Doom 3: BFG Edition for PS3. It's got an earned rating of 4.67%, with a total of 1,061 people earning it on PSNProfiles, while the PS4 says it's 1.4% of users. The description is "Complete the DOOM 3 single player campaign on Veteran."

More interesting to me was the very first trophy I got, which was "Headshot Expert" from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. "Kill five enemies in a row with headshots." So, what was your very first trophy, guys? Memory lane, yay!

Speaking of games that make you hate yourself because of how gross the microtransactions are, Crimson Dragon seems to have snatched the crown. HOLY CRAP it's gated as all hell.

Last edited by MasterChief; 11-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I like what Nyx has been doing with community polls to select her next game, but I'd rather not be yet another person crowd-sourcing for suggestions every few weeks.
    Awww, steal the idea! Please! I just do it because I love seeing what you guys think are the games worth playing in the pile. I'm sorta mad at myself right now since Valkyria Chronicles was he November game voted in by you guys and I haven't gotten to it because I got sucked into Persona PSP and now I'm working on two review titles for the site! I plan to play/complete it before I ask folks again for recommendations. Hopefully I get to it in December! Also with classes being over for a bit it means more free time! YAY!

But seriously, steal the idea. If the community can help you find something to play, it's worth it to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    I don't care how old the Assassins Creed games are, spoiling them was unforgivable (as was giving away what the story is about in AC4, It's a brand new title ffs)

It's struck me for a while now that someone must put a gun to Manny's head to get him to appear on the podcast, as he seems to get more miserable by the episode. So put the gun away and give us a break from the miserable so and so. He might think he is being amusing, but I'll be switching off as I can't stand the arrogance of anyone who thinks their opinion is absolute fact.
    Yeah... Manny does seem more jaded and cynical than usual lately, eh? Well, he kinda makes me realize how much I still enjoy gaming because I choose to
    Last edited by Insomniak; 11-25-2013 at 06:36 PM.

I LOL'd when Chris mentioned he must have been to HowLongToBeat.com before, because it must say something about me (and how religiously I listen to this podcast) that I can remember the circumstances of his previous visit to that website more easily than he can. It was when he was questioning how best to go about playing the Disgaea series when he'd fallen so far behind their releases . . . much like his current problem with Assassin's Creed. He made the right decision IMO with regards to Disgaea (finishing D2 before moving on), because the story in those games is at least half of the fun, and the gameplay has remained pretty much the same.

With Assassin's Creed though, everything I've read about the series (not having played it myself) is that the core gameplay has remained nearly identical through all the games, with the glaring exception of the ship battle and exploration gameplay. If that's the main attraction for you, then don't sink your time into the previous games when they have less to offer. By all accounts, the over-arching story connecting the games isn't particularly compelling, and the actual story of each game is isolated from the others. IMO, if you play through Assassin's Creed 4 and find that you enjoyed the 'open seas' aspect of the game far more than the core AS gameplay (something that a lot of people seem to be discovering), then the other games aren't really worth your time (or at the very least should occupy a much lower place on your backlog). Play the game you most want to play. That should be the priority . . .

Which segues nicely into the question asked at the end of the show. How do I decide what to play next? Simple. What game do I most want to play? What game am I thinking about playing while I'm working? What game is drawing me back to my computer, console, or gaming device when I could be doing other things? I don't care if I'm in the middle of another game. If I find myself thinking, for example, that I'd rather be playing Dwarf Fortress on my PC while I'm currently in the middle of SMT IV on the 3DS, I close the 3DS and lose myself in those ASCII graphics (seriously, I lost a couple of weeks there sometime in late summer after discovering Dwarf Fortress). Now I'm back to SMT IV, Persona 4 Golden, and Tales of Graces f, and I'm even sinking an hour or two here and there into Terraria with the recent update.

I guess I just can't be bothered to worry about a backlog. I own plenty of games I haven't gotten around to playing yet. Tales of Xillia is sitting on my shelf un-opened, and might remain that way for a while still. I'll get around to it eventually . . . maybe even before Xillia 2's release date. But right now, I'm seriously considering purchasing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and a Circle Pad Pro. That's a game I really want to try, and I'm finding myself thinking about it while playing other games. I know I'll finish Persona 4 Golden and SMT IV eventually (probably in the relatively near future), but I'm not going to rush either of them just so I can get to the next game on my list.
    Last edited by Azilis; 11-26-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Ah yes, question of the week... How do I decide what to play? Whatever the hell I'm in the mood for at the moment. Much like Manny, I feel the need to shake it up after being in one game/series/genre for too long, and I'll just pick something different for the sake of it being different.

Anyway, my rarest trophy has just changed! I've just got the "Dominator" trophy on Killzone: Shadow Fall, which is "Win a match on every multiplayer map." It has a 3.52% completion rate on PSNProfiles, and a 0.9% completion rate according to the PS4.

Does anyone else find themselves following the games industry more than actually playing games?

In my adult life a game is a commitment. Most of my games get 10-20 hours of play before I get pulled away from it by life, 'trying out' a new title, burn out or corrupted save files.

Too often I face analysis paralysis when deciding to restart or continue seasons or years old game saves. It's not to say I can't pour many hours into a game, I have over 400 hours in Animal Crossing New Leaf and 60 hours into Xenoblade. Both of these titles were user-friendly to return to but often it takes me over a half hour to get my bearings on current quests when taking extended breaks on most games, RPGs especially.

How do you play through long games?
    Do you play only that game to completion?
    If not how many games do you juggle at any given time?

AND my biggest challenge... How do you decide whether to continue an old save or just start over?

I'm going to enter my backlog on howlongtobeat and my next game will be the shortest to beat that I'm interested in playing.

Quote Originally Posted by vids View Post
    Does anyone else find themselves following the games industry more than actually playing games?

In my adult life a game is a commitment. Most of my games get 10-20 hours of play before I get pulled away from it by life, 'trying out' a new title, burn out or corrupted save files.

Too often I face analysis paralysis when deciding to restart or continue seasons or years old game saves. It's not to say I can't pour many hours into a game, I have over 400 hours in Animal Crossing New Leaf and 60 hours into Xenoblade. Both of these titles were user-friendly to return to but often it takes me over a half hour to get my bearings on current quests when taking extended breaks on most games, RPGs especially.

How do you play through long games?
    Do you play only that game to completion?
    If not how many games do you juggle at any given time?

AND my biggest challenge... How do you decide whether to continue an old save or just start over?

I'm going to enter my backlog on howlongtobeat and my next game will be the shortest to beat that I'm interested in playing.
    I try to follow the industry as little as possible. Takes the fun out of gaming if you ask me.

Omigosh, I finally caught up! I am finally listening to the latest episode (thanks to Thanksgiving, yay!)

Lessee, question of the week: Whatever comes on sale.
    I'm usually a generation (or two) behind. For example, I got my PS3 in March, and my PC is still from 2 generations ago. I pretty much just check sales every now and then, grab whatever pops up, and play it (if I have already finished my last game). I am pretty slow though...I have to admit I still haven't finished my PS2 backlog, I am still going through PS3 launch titles (Valkyria Chronicles, yarrrghhh!) and Borderlands 2. By the way, does anyone in Asia zone want to play with me? It's seriously hard to find multiplayer matches in Asia.

As far as the industry goes, I don't think I terribly care either way. Even if they go totally bonkers, they will still put out a good title every now and then. And at the rate of 2 years per game, I have much more than plenty to play each generation.

Also, if there is still time to post a question: Any recommendation for Window Phones, especially on the RPG front? I tried searching for some review lists, but those really are struggling to even make it to ten games.
    Last edited by xocolatl; 12-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.