Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite RPGs of the Last Console Generation

Favorite RPGs of the Last Console Generation

As we look back upon this past console generation, a lot of great RPGs stand out. We took the time to highlight some of our personal favorites or games we thought really made an impact during the last gen.

Favorite RPGs of the Last Console Generation
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Top 5 Last Gen RPGs

Lost Odyssey
    Tales of Vesperia
    Blue Dragon
    Tales of Graces F
    Valkyria Chronicles

Games I haven't played yet (that could be on this list)

Ni No Kuni
    Tales of Xillia 1/2
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Zelda: Link Between Worlds

I don't consider Demon's/Dark Souls RPG's, otherwise they would be right at the top of almost any list.

Arc Rise Fantasia love. That game was awesome (just beat it a week ago.) It's a shame that people passed it up due to the rumors of the bad voice acting. While bad, you really do get used to it. I actually started to like the voice acting after a while except for L'Arc. (not a spoiler, just made up) "Oh no... my auntie is dead... oh well..." It's like the actor was instructed to read every line with a meh. Oh, and I guess they didn't want to re-sync the lips so during cinemas the actors would pause at the strangest times or speak rapidly at the end of a sentence.

The dungeons were simple, but varied. The boss battles were brutal and often unexpected. I beat a majority of RPGs these days without ever dying, not so in Arc Rise Fantasia.

Certainly worth $20 if you have a wii.

Definitely agree with the vast majority of these, only a couple I haven't played. And one specifically I disagree with, but I don't see the point in calling it out or being critical. I'm itching to get to the few I have that I haven't played.

This list is making me really want to go play a Bethesda game. But I'd rather play a new one. I really hope the Fallout 4 rumors are true.

Nice to see my three favorite rpgs of this past gen on there. Dragon Age, Dark Souls and Xenoblade.
    My favorite of the three would have to be Dragon Age. I've yet to play an rpg since it was released that matched its quality.

To me the answers is Xenoblade Chronicles, it is the only game to ever come close to Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger in terms of greatness. It seriously felt like a classic from the Snes era while still feeling new and fresh.

Aow as for the article its good but it has a major snub that was not mentioned in it or any of the honorable mentions and that was The last story easily the second best rpg of the last generation, im a little miffed it wasnt even mentioned.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    TLS might have made my honourable mentions list, but I only got halfway through before getting a Wii U, and I've been too lazy to transfer my save data over. I really liked what I played, though.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I certainly enjoyed The Last Story and I contemplated listing it as an honorable mention, but I just don't consider it a most favorite for the generation.
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, you do have to keep in mind that this is personal favourites, not "RPGamer's definitive list of the greatest RPGs of the generation."

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Borderlands, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Mass Effect 2 +3 (not the first), and Divinity 2 for me. A crying shame there are so few JRPGs on my shelf.

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    People are allowed to point out ones we might've missed or ones we did that they didn't think were actually that great. As I understand it from elsewhere on the internet, that's the main point of allowing comments, we just do it with more intelligence and less rage here at RPGamer I was considering The Last Story for an honourable mention, and while I did think it was great, there's not much (outside of Lowell and Syrenne :P) that has stuck with me too long and neither did it draw me in enough for multiple playthroughs or as many hours like the others I did include.

The one I feel is a pity that didn't get a write up is Valkyria Chronicles. But as the claimant of the rights to gush about Xenoblade on RPGamer (sorry Twin and Berry!), I wasn't likely to pass up the opportunity ^^
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 11-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    "Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    Aow as for the article its good but it has a major snub that was not mentioned in it or any of the honorable mentions and that was The last story easily the second best rpg of the last generation, im a little miffed it wasnt even mentioned.
    Yeah, like others have said this was a list of personal favorites, not a best of. That said, I don't think The Last Story would have made that list either. There are some on staff who enjoy it, but others that didn't, myself included. I really enjoyed the preview build I was able to play at the XSEED offices last year, but the game itself really bombed out when I got it in my hands. The story was fine, but the battle system was my biggest complaint. It had so much potential, but boiled down to something I found myself not really enjoying by the middle of the game.

So yeah, I get being miffed it wasn't mentioned, but I was even more miffed that the last 80% of the game wasn't as fun as the first 20%. Great soundtrack, though.

Now severin's point about no one writing up anything about VC is true, but I think Sega's treatment of the franchise watered down the enthusiasm many had for the series. Please Sega, fix this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Severin Mira View Post
    People are allowed to point out ones we might've missed or ones we did that they didn't think were actually that great. As I understand it from elsewhere on the internet, that's the main point of allowing comments, we just do it with more intelligence and less rage here at RPGamer
    Oh well, in that case... I still don't want to get into much of a discussion about it, but having played through Resonance of Fate and getting the full 1000 on it, while I wouldn't consider it the worst RPG of the generation (that dishonor would go to either Enchanted Arms, or if we count re-releases, the Steam release of FF7), but I do find it shocking that it showed up on this list. I mean, the game had some interesting battle mechanics, but it wore out the moment you figure out how to cheese it (which should happen by the time you get about 1/3 of the way through the game). The plot is barely existent, yet it somehow manages to drag on far too long. Getting some of the achievements as well was an annoying chore, though not as bad as other Tri-Ace games. However, this game is what has cemented in my mind that Tri-Ace has interesting ideas that they fail to fully execute on, which makes the games seem only about 30% complete and mostly a chore to play. Maybe one day they will make a complete game that isn't Star Ocean, but that hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    Maybe one day they will make a complete game that isn't Star Ocean, but that hasn't happened yet.
    Valkyrie Profile
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

RE: Arc Rise
    and the soundtrack, composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, Yuki Harada, and Shunsuke Tsuchi, is fantastic
    Should be Tsuchiya.

I'm pleased to see that Xenoblade showed up on several lists. Unfortunately there are too few turn-based console JRPGs mentioned. And that's hardly the fault of the authors!

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Ay, how did that typo slip through? :P It's been taken care of!
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

I was surprised that no one did a Valkyria Chronicles write-up, considering all the good things I hear about it being unique and stuff. I wasn't as surprised to not find Tales of Xillia or Lost Odyssey on the top of someone's favorite list because even as solid games, they don't do anything to really stand out.

While Xenoblade is currently my favorite of the Wii/PS3/Xbox360 gen so far, I have to agree pretty much with the NieR write-up. It'll probably be near the top of my favorite games list for a long time because it made such an impression on me.

Devious Dungeon Master RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I love the Arc of Fantasia Wuv. Definitely under appreciated in my book

Quote Originally Posted by riulyn View Post
    I was surprised that no one did a Valkyria Chronicles write-up, considering all the good things I hear about it being unique and stuff.
    If I was rating these on visuals and/or originality, you're right...VC would be close to the top of my list. It fell apart for me in the gameplay. It was super fun at first, but as I got further in, the flaws of the gameplay mechanics got in the way of the fun. In order to even challenge the player after the first missions, the designers had to rely on cheap tricks and scripted events. Since those events often broke rules and/or logic (Such as a tank appearing out of no where to flank your group or a boss with nigh invulnerability unless you know the ONE way to attack it), they would often kill ya the first time or two. However, once you figured out when/how the scripted events were going to play, they were super easy to take out (Put an anti tank troop near where you know that tank will pop out!) So, what started to feel like a SRPG/FPS hybrid ended up feeling like a puzzle/FPS hybrid to me...leaving a bad taste in my mouth. With that being said, I know a lot of staffed loved it all the way through.

I have to say, I liked the original banner better. But maybe that's my Xenobias showing through.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    Unfortunately there are too few turn-based console JRPGs mentioned. And that's hardly the fault of the authors!
    Indeed. Bring on the handhelds!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm