Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 106 - Ingmar Bergman's Persona

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 106 - Ingmar Bergman's Persona

The Persona series has been in the news a lot lately, but enthusiasm for the first entry seems relatively lacking. An analysis of both the original PlayStation and the PSP renditions seems warranted to determine why, and it can be found right here.
    One has a Snow Queen, one doesn't!
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Interesting, I'm still playing path of exiles. I gave up on Wheel of Time, because of lack of plot development but also a big fan of Brandon Sanderson. In fact I'm finishing off "Warbreaker" at the moment.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Interesting, I'm still playing path of exiles. I gave up on Wheel of Time, because of lack of plot development but also a big fan of Brandon Sanderson. In fact I'm finishing off "Warbreaker" at the moment.
    I am assuming the weird lessons of libraries was of interest?

I gave up on Wheel of Time too. I kinda got annoyed that it took forever for things to get going. I appreciate that Sanderson at least can cut to the chase. Warbreaker is AWESOME. Great choice!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Oddly enough, I was first a Wheel of Time fan and after learning of Sanderson taking over for Jordan after his death, I decided to check out Sanderson's original work. I ended up becoming a bigger fan of Sanderson than I ever was of Jordan.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    yeah, it's almost like one of those two guys is a GOOD author.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    ROFL! Right??

And, Yeah, I knew the library topic would be interesting to some. That's why I like 'jumping the shark' on the final lap. Chances are if its interesting enough for one of us to spend time talking about, someone else out there feels the same And if it's too much for anyone, they can stop playing the recording and know they're not missing any retro gaming talk, as we save all that banter for the end

I've heard a lot of people raving about Persona 3 and 4, but I've never really heard much about the first two games. Thanks for the excellent discussion about the first one here. I tend to like to play game series in order, since I really like to see the evolution of a series. This one sounds pretty brutal, but I think it'll be easier to start here than it will be to start with the later entries and try to come back.

As for the Wheel of Time, I have a love/hate relationship with that series. I really enjoy the story, but I HATE Robert Jordan's writing style. I always said that once I finished reading the last book, I'd put them all in a pile and light them on fire, and dance around them naked until there is only ash left. Seriously though, the need to write about every last detail really got to me. I read the 10 books that were out at the time over the course of a year, because I'd been given the impression that the series was over. I want to finish the last several books, but I don't remember much of the actual story anymore and re-reading them is really not something I want to do. I wish I could find some sort of chapter summary for the first 10 or 11 books. All I remember about the 10th book is that it was basically 800 pages telling me where everyone was at the time that the event at the end of the previous book happened. On the good side, my fiancee decided to start reading them, so maybe I can get some summaries from her as she reads so I don't have to read them again.