Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Feature - Backloggin' the Year

  1. #1
    Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    3,439

    Feature - Backloggin' the Year

    Everybody has 'em, everyone struggles to control them. That is the mighty power of the backlog. Gaze into Sam Marchello's adventure playing backlogged RPGs, and see what the staff had to say about her glorious quest, as well as what games she has clearly been missing out on.

    Feature!

    Q: What is a game in your backlog that you want to complete in 2014? Why?

  2. #2
    I tend to try to take a fairly even handed approach between older and newer games. Its rare for me to play games right when they release, since I tend to figure I wont get around to it till the price has dropped anyway. Unless its a Bethesda or Dragon Quest game. I tend to get through a fairly even number of games released in the previous year or two, as I get through games that are 5+ years old.

    This year, I tackled the Wild Arms series among several others from the deep backlog, as well as working through newer games like Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 3. Next year, my plan is to try to work through Suikoden now that I've completed my collection and probably start playing through Persona. I have a LOT to choose from, my current estimate is that my backlog would take 5-6 years to wipe out at my current rate of play assuming no new additions, based on HowLongToBeat.com estimates. On the good side, I think I've acquire about 95% of the older games I want, so most new additions going forward will be new. I just don't have the time to try to acquire 1-2 generation old niche titles anymore.

    So for the deep backlog, its Suikoden and Persona series. For newer games, I'm itching to get to FF13-2, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Kingdom's of Amalur, Game of Thrones, Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, and Ni No Kuni. I hope to be able to squeeze in most of those games in 2014. Unless Fallout 4 and/or Dragon Quest 7 3DS comes out, then its all that.
    Last edited by smacd; 12-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    343
    I'd say the one game I really, really want to complete in my backlog next year is Valkyria Chronicles. I first started playing the game in 2008 when I would visit my brother since I didn't own a PS3. I got distracted by other video games, life, and my brother moved away, so I didn't have the means to play the game again until this spring when I bought a PS3. However, I'm a big Tales fan so Tales games took priority. In addition, I'm not so great at Valkyria Chronicles' battle system so I've had to redo battles many times (also I hate losing people). Even if I never master the battle system or hate it, I want to finish the game because I really like the story so far.

    I actually did quite a good job at playing the games that I bought this year (both games released this year and games I've always wanted to play but didn't own yet). Besides Valkyria Chronicles, I would like to tackle Resonance of Fate, the first two Wild ARMs games (have been working through the series backwards), and the second and third Shadow Hearts games (halfway through Covenant right now). I also have Tactics Ogre for PSP but I continue to use my PSP for Japanese-only releases (they take me forever to get through) so that might be a 2015 game for me.

    I like participating in the RPGamer marathon so I'll let that pick some of the backlog games for me to get through next year as well.

  4. #4
    Veteran RPGamer watcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,160
    I actually made some progress on the backlog during the last half of this year. But that was primarily because other timesinks went away. I'm also becoming a touch more selective on what I buy now that there have been more games that suite my preferences. Oh, and I'm approximately 20% less completionist than I used to be. I think it was Xenoblade that caused most of that. It just had to #$@! many sidequests.

  5. #5
    New Member TokyoOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3
    My backlog is insane. I get these games as they come out in fear of not being able to find them later. I am also a sucker for the pre-order goodie, they get me every time. To give you an idea of how behind I am... Im playing Suikoden 5... from 2006... pretty bad I know. I'm loving the game though, so there's that.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    I actually made some progress on the backlog during the last half of this year. But that was primarily because other timesinks went away. I'm also becoming a touch more selective on what I buy now that there have been more games that suite my preferences. Oh, and I'm approximately 20% less completionist than I used to be. I think it was Xenoblade that caused most of that. It just had to #$@! many sidequests.
    Yeah definitely, between feeling like I wasted so much time in Xenoblade being a completionist, coupled with the new achievements/trophies in the last generation- if they don't have achievements/trophies anymore I do not go for full completion anymore. I have too many games and not enough time for that nonsense. 250 hours in Xenoblade was not worth it. I'm at least 20% less completionist now as well. maybe more.

    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoOctopus View Post
    My backlog is insane. I get these games as they come out in fear of not being able to find them later. I am also a sucker for the pre-order goodie, they get me every time. To give you an idea of how behind I am... Im playing Suikoden 5... from 2006... pretty bad I know. I'm loving the game though, so there's that.
    2006 isn't that bad. I still have the entire Suikoden series in my backlog. And a few months ago I finished Breath of Fire 3, which had been in my backlog since it was new..
    Last edited by smacd; 12-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    630
    My goal for 2014 is to finally catch up on the SMT series. I've already got most of the ones I'll need; just missing SMT IV, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Soul Hackers, and a 3DS to play them on.

    I've got to beat pretty much all the Personas, Strange Journey, IV, Devil Survivor I and II, Soul Hackers, and Digital Devil Saga I and II.

    Going to be very busy this next year!

  8. #8
    Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    My goal for 2014 is to finally catch up on the SMT series. I've already got most of the ones I'll need; just missing SMT IV, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Soul Hackers, and a 3DS to play them on.

    I've got to beat pretty much all the Personas, Strange Journey, IV, Devil Survivor I and II, Soul Hackers, and Digital Devil Saga I and II.

    Going to be very busy this next year!
    Funny enough, that's one of my personal goals as well. The only games I own that I have left to complete are SMTIV (though I am a good chunk of the way through it), Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor 2, Nocturne, Both Raidou games, both Persona 2: IS & EP, and maybe I will eventually beat Strange Journey (though I highly doubt it). It's a series I love but after completing two of them this year I feel like that might be all I can manage. We'll see if I end up doing a feature next December: Blackoggin' the Year 2: The Revengence if any SMT games will appear on it.

    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are FABULOUS. I would totally recommend playing those ones because they are just such a unique and fun experience.

  9. #9
    Member flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,994
    Kurt in Graces f is the current reason why I haven't finished. Powerlevel through? Suggestions for powerleveling?

    Nyx, some of the games on your list I (and others) don't think are all that good.
    Alpha Protocol - 72 (Metacritic)
    Ar Tonelico II - 71
    Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl - 61
    Those are the three that jump out at me as being just not that great and maybe not worth playing.

    Jade Empire, Precipice 3, and Solatorobo strike me as being particularly respectful of your gaming time. I suggest you focus on these first.

  10. #10
    A Bratty Summoner Clix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    6,265
    For Kurt, I used the forbidden power: Lowering the difficulty. I know, it's shameful, but it had to be done for him.

  11. #11
    Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Kurt in Graces f is the current reason why I haven't finished. Powerlevel through? Suggestions for powerleveling?

    Nyx, some of the games on your list I (and others) don't think are all that good.
    Alpha Protocol - 72 (Metacritic)
    Ar Tonelico II - 71
    Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl - 61
    Those are the three that jump out at me as being just not that great and maybe not worth playing.

    Jade Empire, Precipice 3, and Solatorobo strike me as being particularly respectful of your gaming time. I suggest you focus on these first.
    If you read the feature you'd realize those are games I BEAT, not games I am planning to play. From January 2013 to December 2013 I catalogued every RPG I played that didn't release in 2013. I enjoyed Ar tonelico II and Alpha Protocol a lot, and I reviewed Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl. I did not like Solatorobo, but enjoyed Rain Slick 3 and Jade Empire.

  12. #12
    Ysy St. Administrator Macstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,422
    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Nyx, some of the games on your list I (and others) don't think are all that good.
    Alpha Protocol - 72 (Metacritic)
    Metacritic? Metacritic is wrong here and in many places. *InsertMetacriticScoreRant*
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

  13. #13
    chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are FABULOUS. I would totally recommend playing those ones because they are just such a unique and fun experience.
    Don't tempt me! DDS1 and 2 are relatively recent additions to my backlog, but I'm doing my best to ignore them. I still have five Tales games backlogged (including one in progress) which currently take priority. I hope I can at least get Phantasia and Eternia done before the Symphonia remake comes out.

    Quote Originally Posted by (RPGamer Article)
    Tales of Vesperia is a game that likes to come up on our forums a lot. Everyone wants the definitive PlayStation 3 version with pirate girl, I get that.
    Nnn...I've played the version with the pirate girl. There are some ways in which the PS3 version is improved, but Patty isn't one of them. She's spectacularly obnoxious.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven

  14. #14
    Veteran RPGamer watcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoOctopus View Post
    My backlog is insane. I get these games as they come out in fear of not being able to find them later. I am also a sucker for the pre-order goodie, they get me every time. To give you an idea of how behind I am... Im playing Suikoden 5... from 2006... pretty bad I know. I'm loving the game though, so there's that.
    Yeah, at least I'm able to hold back until they get cheaper. I find about 99% of games can be bought new for $20 or less at some point, so that's usually my price point unless I want to play something right away.

  15. #15
    New Member TokyoOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3
    2006 isn't that bad. I still have the entire Suikoden series in my backlog. And a few months ago I finished Breath of Fire 3, which had been in my backlog since it was new..[/QUOTE]

    WOW! I was in the 8th grade when I got Breath of Fire 3... and now I'm almost 30! I am glad I'm not the only one out there.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Funny enough, that's one of my personal goals as well. The only games I own that I have left to complete are SMTIV (though I am a good chunk of the way through it), Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor 2, Nocturne, Both Raidou games, both Persona 2: IS & EP, and maybe I will eventually beat Strange Journey (though I highly doubt it). It's a series I love but after completing two of them this year I feel like that might be all I can manage. We'll see if I end up doing a feature next December: Blackoggin' the Year 2: The Revengence if any SMT games will appear on it.

    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are FABULOUS. I would totally recommend playing those ones because they are just such a unique and fun experience.
    Nocturne and the Raidou games are the only ones I've managed to finish, with Nocturne being my introduction to the series. I would have finished Persona 4, but an unfortunate accident led to my disc becoming unplayable. I've got the Vita remake now, but am planning on going through them in order, if I can convince myself to play all the way though Persona 1.

    I've played some of Digital Devil Saga, and am really looking forward to finishing it and playing the second one. I've certainly listened to the OST enough over the years.

    Strange Journey is, aptly enough, strange. I really enjoy what I've played of it, but I keep forgetting it's there for me to continue with.

  17. #17
    The Best HyphyKezzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    On Mars
    Posts
    2,512
    And this is why I got destroyed in the first round of March Madness.

    I've been planning to focus in hard on the backlog in the next year myself. I'm even going so far as to skip one of my favorite things here (the year of threads) unless they coincide with stuff I already need to play. There's plenty in there to go through but some of the big ones I'm really hoping to knock off are Darksiders 1 & 2, Jade Empire, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Star Wars: KotOR 1 & 2, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, and The Witcher 2 which I'll ideally be starting up sometime in the next few weeks here.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

  18. #18
    Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Niigata City, Japan
    Posts
    430
    I want everyone here to know that I am making a brand new PSN account for PS4 and I'm actually going to PLAY GAMES this generation, and I VOW to platinum every single one. . . That is a scary vow.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

    FaceBook | Twitter | Website

  19. #19
    Veteran RPGamer watcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,160
    Zoltan, now that you made that vow, I hope there's a Star Ocean game this generation that you buy so I can hound you about getting platinum for it.

  20. #20
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,875
    You're a better man than I, Zoltan (ok, I'm not a man at all). Trying to Platinum games would probably put me off the hobby for good.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •