Thread: RPGCast - Episode 289: "Screw Peter Pan"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 289: "Screw Peter Pan"

RPGCast - Episode 289: "Screw Peter Pan"

Chris gets a little sloppy with his language. Manny reveals his true anti-Disney colors. Jon takes a nap and Anna Marie goes to a party. But that's ok cause Sam Marchello is our special guest and that makes everything ok.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/289

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Screw Peter Pan"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Apparently words are hard some days. Words are hard.

Also, apologies in advance for the tiny bit of potty mouth. It seems I encourage it when I am on podcasts. Sorry!

Sam was on and I wasn't I HAS A GIANT SAD.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Sam was on and I wasn't I HAS A GIANT SAD.
    [insert EMOFACES RIGHT HERE]

You'll laugh, that was the first thing I said to Chris when I hopped on. I told him you were going to be pissed. :P

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, to tell the truth about my pick for my favorite RPG of the past generation, it is actually Xenoblade. Alex had already claimed that one, so I took the opprotunity (I seem to take a lot of them for Arc Rise Fantasia, ha ha) to plug what I feel is an unfairly overlooked game. Arc Rise Fantasia is high up on my list of favorites, but not my most favorite.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Heh heh, Alex was quick with that claim. Xeno was on my possible picks list too, but I can't be mad at ol' Severin and his ability to take advantage of time zones. He fixes my horrible logos on the site.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I almost never agree with Jon on pretty much anything, but I do have to agree that FF8 > FF7. But I won't be getting that one on steam. I'd consider FF9 if it comes, but currently replaying it now so I don't really need to replay it again for another decade or so.

And I did hear I believe 2 f-bombs, but Chris was first. So don't feel too bad Sam.

So I'm pretty exited about the new Telltale games. Not sure exactly how a QTE point&click Borderlands game would be, but Game of Thrones sounds like a great franchise for it.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    I saw that Anna wasn't on it and when Chris said "All Star Cast" I panicked and switched to The Morning Stream because I worried this was a Lusipurr-bait-and-switch. But Sam Marchello, hmm. I'll have to give this one another try!

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Y'all mentioned some good iOS RPGs, but I heard no mention of Avadon (and I believe Avadon 2 is available now as well). These are deep, solid RPGs, but best played on iPad. They aren't on iPod...I think that's too small.

Addition: Ok...listening to the discussion about the favorite game of this last console generation. I can't tell if Manny is being sarcastic or not regarding how much I 'love' JRPGs. LOL

Generally, I don't care for 'traditional' JPRGs. Three to four person, traditional JRPG where you simply 'attack, attack, heal' is one of my personal pet peeves. It was a great formula back in the NES days, but when games to it today with no additional innovation today, I want to cry. The generally well received "Brave Story: New Traveller" for the PSP bored me to tears.

However, even a little bit of contrast goes a long way with me. I love Arc Rise Fantasia, for example, because its fast and positioning plays a role (IIRC). I like Shin Megami games because of the demon parley options, recruitment and fusion I even tend to like Dragon Quest games, despite how basic they are, because they're generally very polished and even the random encounters can kick your tusky if you're not paying attention (though I didn't care for DQIX). If you consider some of the Strategy/Tactical RPGs as JRPGs (such as Final Fantasy Tactics), I usually like them as long as they're balanced. FFTactics, Front Missions III, and Disgaea series are super fun in my book.

I can be pretty critical on JRPGs at times, (and I am on the Backtrack podcast), but I love the ones that really stand out and/or are really polished. To this day, Final Fantasy VI is still my favorite game, encapsulating (IMHO) all what makes JRPGs super awesome when they're firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately, nearly 20 years later, none of the later ones have grabbed that #1 spot on my list.
    Last edited by jcservant; 12-11-2013 at 09:03 AM.

I have a question for the entire RPGamer cast as to their opinions about a game that I just beat yesterday. So...I did it, I beat Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3. I was wondering about the opinion's that you all had about this game. What did you think about it if and when you first beat it? Did it make sense to you? I was a little confused as to ALL of the details, but what were your opinions as to how the ending was presented (before you played 13-2 [if you did.])
    Personally, I really enjoyed the game, which is strange for me. Prior to about 3 weeks ago, I had only played about 13 hours (irony) and had made my judgments based off of that amount of gameplay. However, as most gamers did, when I got to Gran Pulse, I was in awe and it really motivated me to push through the game. What were you all's opinions, what did you think? I would prefer if you mentioned your opinions with SPOILERS as the game has been out for some three or so years.
    Anyway, that is really all I've got. Loved the combat, loved the game.