Thread: Sweater Weather - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Sweater Weather - Currents

In this issue of Currents, free-to-play games are gaining momentum, petitions don't bring games to the West, Bungie's Destiny had better be good, and people once again leave Square Enix. We also ask a few questions about your holiday plans.

CURRENTS

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:
    • What are your plans for the Christmas season?
    • Will you have time to game? If so, what will you be playing?
    • Are you expecting to give or receive any games as gifts? If so, which ones?
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    While I have nothing to comment on in terms of the column, I feel like answering Trent's questions!

What are your plans for the Christmas season?

PJs and movies. It's a tradition in the Marchello household, and with it lacking one member this year, it's a bit more crucial than usual. No idea what movies will be watched, but Die Hard seems to come to mind as one we've watched the last few years.

Will you have time to game? If so, what will you be playing?

I am making the time to game. We're having a low-key holiday, so I'm not expecting a lot of people. I'm going to try and complete Ninokuni over the holidays now that I'm finally less upset with it. May be try to knock a few games out of the backlog? Read a few awesome novels? Plot a feature? I have many things I'm excited to do and games to play. I really just want to finish a few of the games I've started I think is my problem!

Are you expecting to give or receive any games as gifts? If so, which ones?

I am only expecting one game from Fowl Sorcerous because she SHOWED it to me instead of it being a surprise, which is Xenoblade Chronicles. I am BEYOND excited that I can finally play that game, and who knows? May be it will appear in Backloggin' the Year 2: The Revengence. :P

Yeah, I can't stress enough how completely useless petitions are when a game company makes a decision. That's not to say people shouldn't express interest, but yeah, there's a point where you go from being interested to being obnoxious. And despite what anyone says, a physical form letter doesn't impress a company any more than an emailed form letter. I'm going to take the "100,000 signatures doesn't mean 100,000 sales." a step further: 100 000 pre-orders don't even mean 100 000 sales.

I think the only way I'd play Destiny is if they brought it to PC. I just can't stand shooter controls on a console.

"I have to tell you — it doesn't affect what we do. We certainly look at it, and we're certainly aware of it, but it doesn't necessarily affect what we do," he said frankly. "I wanted to bring Xenoblade here. The deal was, how much of a localization effort is it? How many units are we going to sell, are we going to make money? We were literally having this debate while Operation Rainfall was happening, and we were aware that there was interest for the game, but we had to make sure that it was a strong financial proposition."
    If you focus on the first sentence, if you un-corporate executive doublespeak it, it reads, "...and it may affect what we do." I don't see why that is so hard to say/admit.

I've got less than zero interest in anything Bungie does. I didn't think Halo was any better than any other one of your average FPS games, and Destiny is just another dudebrah shovelware game as far as I'm concerned.

As for petitions, I'm not sure if I quite believe Reggie on that. He's a PR guy, and if I were in his position and if Operation Rainfall did in fact turn some heads, which I'm sure it did, I wouldn't want to be encouraging that too much in the future. Operation Rainfall was easily the most visible movement I've ever seen in gaming, and to deny that it had any affect is ludicrous. Even if it "didn't" affect their decision to bring it, it sure as hell increased the potential sales by a large number. If if hadn't been for Operation Rainfall, those games wouldn't have even been on my radar. And let's not forget that it was XSEED, not Nintendo, that brought 2 of the 3 games as well. On the other hand, other than for some legal governmental processes, I do agree that petitions are mostly irrelevant and pointless. The US government isn't going to build a Death Star just because it'd be cheaper than Obamacare and enough people signed a petition at change.org.

Google TV already exists. Android TV on the other hand is something that techies have been talking about for awhile. The guys at TWiT (All About Android, Tech News Today, probably This Week in Google as well) seemed to be pretty sure its coming as well.

1) Holiday plans: working, no vacation other than company holidays. Currently a contract worker with no PTO, which is really annoying during November/December. I lose too much money just due to the holidays. Christmas Eve at the fiancees, Christmas day with my family.

2) I'll have just as much time to game as I normally do. probably around 15 hours per week, give or take. Hoping to finish several games I currently have in progress. Not planning to start anything new unless I can complete at least 4 of my 6 current games (Borderlands 2, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy Dimensions, The Witcher, Dragon Quest Swords, Portal 2)

3) Not planning to give any games necessarily. Giving my cousin's daughter an XBL 12 month card. Might get something for my baby brother but I'm disconnected (I'm 30, he's 11) and have no idea what he likes. Fiancee isn't a gamer but she wants a purple 3DS, but doesn't know of any games she wants so I dunno. If I did get her a 3DS, I'd get her Mario Party I guess. But I'll probably not get her any games. She's getting me a DS game from my amazon wishlist (might be 3DS game), which narrows it down to a dozen games. She might get me others, but I'm not really asking for games- backlog is big enough. Doubt anyone else will get me any games. I bought myself Rocksmith 2014, Elder Scrolls Anthology (despite owning all but Skyrim on PC already), and Lego Marvel for Christmas already.
    Last edited by smacd; 12-10-2013 at 03:23 PM.

F2P is an interesting thing. I've been playing F2P computer games since 2006, and there's such a variety of how it's all handled. I've determined I like the model when done in a way where people can't buy direct power.

For example, League of Legends and Path of Exile both do this well, since you can buy convenience or vanity customizations, but you can't outright buy a fancy sword or an overpowered character.

I also tend to like it when games let you trade the in game currency with other players for cash shop currency or items, so you can still get in on the fun without having to drop real cash on it if you have more time than money to spend on the game.

I'm going to be visiting family and friends in my hometown, which I tend to do each year if I can afford it. Looking forward to going somewhere warmer!

Up until Christmas I won't have a lot of time, as I'll only have my laptop available. However, I'm planning on making something tiny and fun in RPGMaker on it, which is kind of like gaming since I'll have to test it a lot. I might squeeze in some gaming at a friend's house.

Once I'm back right after Christmas though, it's on. I've held off on buying any new games all year, and the Steam Winter sale is when I'm letting myself do so again, so I'm going to be getting all kinds of new shinies to play.

If I'm lucky, I'll get a 3DS XL as a gift. As for actual games, I'm not so sure on receiving; my family tends to avoid giving games as gifts, and I plan around that. I might get some friends stuff that is on their steam wishlist, and potentially am getting a friend a new video card so he can join in on the online fun times.

Nyx, I'm sure you'll enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles . It's some of the most fun I've had in RPG gaming in a long time.

The only other people that influence me when buying a game are guys like you, yes you, the RPgamer staff :_). so I say to those industry suits, -right back at ya! Let's face it, we both kinda need each other. Lately, some of Nintendo's 3ds releases are games I want to play, so I buy them, simple! Games like Zelda's "A link between worlds" are old school , kinda retro and hand held-I would buy as many as they churn out, same goes for Bravely Defaults. I just hope the sales back up justifying making more of them. Of course this is only my humble opinion, but Indie and kickstarters are making the games I want to play, hopefully they show the game's companies there is a certain level of games experience that doesn't rely on souped up consoles that can be developed at a reasonable budget, of course the RPG genre is relatively niche. It's a bit circular but they sell loads of Dragonquest in Japan, but they have difficulty in localizing it at a resonable price it seems for the smaller western market?

I'm not getting games as a gift, I need to play them now, obsessively, until they are done! My sister will probably play bravely default after I'm done, but ther tastes usually run to Fire Emblem and rune factory/harvest moon. My brother bought the latest Zelda, I completed it now, - so satisfying!
    Do I have time over Christmas to play games- you betcha! Apart from doing chores, we keep celebrations ot the immediate family. I go out for some drinking and hanging out.
    I'm bored of Path of Exiles, been playing it for 8 months, was considering "A realm reborn" but decided there must be decent games to play that are completable! So my plans for games at Christmas is "Bravely Default" first play through-no FAQS until I get stuck! Watching "Girls and Panzer" anime,- a really bizarre marriage of high school girls getting priveleges and popularity through engaging in the Panzer tank global sport.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Spending the New Year with Nozomi's family.

I'll probably tool around with some of my older PSX games, other than that....

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds goes on sale Dec. 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    If you focus on the first sentence, if you un-corporate executive doublespeak it, it reads, "...and it may affect what we do." I don't see why that is so hard to say/admit.
    Having written identical lines for years, it's not. It's actually saying "it doesn't affect us, but we need to leave wiggle room to prevent rioting fans, so we'll throw a bone in there."

Spending time with my family and my husband's family

Yep, not much happening on Boxing Day (I'll pass on boxing through the crowds), so will be finishing up Ys.

I always hint to my parents video games if they are not obscure to find. This year its Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds. I also hinted them to get a game for my husband since I researched it and it seems like it might scratch his gaming itch.

Spending a few days with my parents and then we're all flying down to Disney World on the 26th for a week of insanity.

Probably, since I'll be in airports and I'll have a few day to finish off the stuff I need to for some GOTY stuff. Still undecided about bringing the WiiU with me for the first leg or just rocking the 3DS and Vita. Also, Pokemon Bank comes out on the 27th so I'll be stress testing that over hotel wi-fi.

Giving someone the gift of PS+ and my roommate a good amount of PSN/360 credit, have told everyone who cares that I'm looking for Nintendo eShop credit now that they've combined the wallet.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    • What are your plans for the Christmas season?

Just hanging out with my hubby and visiting the in-laws on Christmas Day

• Will you have time to game? If so, what will you be playing?

I'm on a bit of an Assassin's Creed kick, so after I finish IV I might pick back up after II and play Brotherhood. Might also try to finish up our co-op Xillia playthrough, though it's a very busy time of year at work for my spouse, so that might fall through.

• Are you expecting to give or receive any games as gifts? If so, which ones?

I gave my Internet Secret Santa some games, but otherwise I gave other things this year. I might be getting Super Mario 3D World for Christmas.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    - What are your plans for the Christmas season?
    I'll probably use it to catch up on some of the anime I've accrued but am yet to watch (namely Guilty Crown and Bakemonogatari, plus Sword Art Online first part is out shortly too). The Christmas break hockey training/matches frees up some more time and energy for that. Will also be visting family on a couple of days, and perhaps joining friends for New Year's Eve.

- Will you have time to game? If so, what will you be playing?
    Assuming I've finished Bravely Default, it'll likely be a mixture of Ys Celceta and Persona 4 Golden, depending on when my copy of Ys gets here. Plus the usual sportsball games.

- Are you expecting to give or receive any games as gifts? If so, which ones?
    On the gift front, I will likely be getting Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. I still haven't bought gifts but I doubt I'll be giving any.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    No different from previous years. I'll just be spending a quiet Christmas at home with the family, likely the same with New Year's, except we'll eat dinner out.

Only a little more than usual, as I only get Christmas Day and New Year's Day off (though both Eves will have shortened hours). Maybe my sister and I can finish Fragile Dreams.

I'm planning on giving a 3DS gift to a friend, Devil Survivor Overclocked. Otherwise not much, though if this year is like past ones, I'll likely get a game soundtrack from my sister.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Staying home and relaxing, though I'm playing around with the idea of visiting family.

At some point I am sure I will end up playing Diablo 3 with Sare on the PS3, or playing Disgaea D2 while she watches her Star Trek.

I don't think anything is coming out that I or any of the people on my holiday shopping list are interested in.