Thread: Atlus Outlines Its Conception

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Atlus Outlines Its Conception

Atlus USA has provided some further details about its upcoming Spike Chunsoft-developed RPG with a slightly different concept from most. The company also unveiled a couple of extra goodies for those purchasing the physical edition on its release.

[ Words. And some pictures. ]
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Man these games are so sexist. Why don't they grow a pair and make the protagonist female for a change. Make the guys fawn over her for a change of pace. Oh wait I guess that would be sexist too.., but at least it would ba something different.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    Man these games are so sexist. Why don't they grow a pair and make the protagonist female for a change. Make the guys fawn over her for a change of pace.
    Umm...there's an entire genre of that already. Otome games. If you want to try one, I hear Hakuouki is quite popular.

Oh wait I guess that would be sexist too.., but at least it would ba something different.
    I think a game can be targeted at a specific gender audience without being sexist; what matters is whether the members of the opposite gender are treated like human beings, or like objects.

(I'm not saying this particular game falls one way or the other; I don't have enough information yet. Seems like a "wait for the review, if any" sort of situation, anyway.)
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Man these games are so sexist. Why don't they grow a pair and make the protagonist female for a change. Make the guys fawn over her for a change of pace. Oh wait I guess that would be sexist too.., but at least it would ba something different.
    It's not actually sexist if you know how the children are made. Quoted from GameFAQs.

If you just read the premise it sounds kind of stupid/childish, but it actually works pretty well for a story. I don't really see any problem with playing a main character who is able to infuse life into a golem with the help of girls who control a similar power, to me it is less odd than persona 4's premise of going into the television to fight monsters and stop people from dying.
    If you use that knowledge, technically the MC could pull the same thing with a guy if the guy had a similar power.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Ah, I guess it doesn't sound so bad. I just remember the first name of the game Conception: Please have my baby! and thought that this would probably not be for me, but from Darkmaster's explanation it doesn't sound "too" bad (still hate the name of the game though, but oh well).

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    [QUOTE=ironmage;471681]Umm...there's an entire genre of that already. Otome games. If you want to try one, I hear Hakuouki is quite popular.

I just threw-up a little bit in my mouth... definitely not my style of game or genre of interest.

I just threw-up a little bit in my mouth...
    Are you seriously saying that you are offended by the idea of games being written for women? I... don't know how to respond to that.

If you want to have a reasoned discussion about gender issues in video games, or to present your particular views on the subject, I think that would be fine.

But if you're just going to express disgust, without discussing what you have an issue with, and why... well, I don't see the point.
    --Raven

Having acquired a 3DS for Christmas, this is on my list of things to get when it comes out. Really looking forward to catching up on all the games I've been missing on this system!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmage View Post
    Are you seriously saying that you are offended by the idea of games being written for women? I... don't know how to respond to that.

If you want to have a reasoned discussion about gender issues in video games, or to present your particular views on the subject, I think that would be fine.

But if you're just going to express disgust, without discussing what you have an issue with, and why... well, I don't see the point.
    I don't think he is disliking the game because its targeting women, from what he has already wrote he doesn't like these type of games, period. He finds them sexist (from both the male and female pov). Not to put words in his mouth or anything but that is what I read from him. I'll let him defend himself, if he finds the need to do so at all.
    Last edited by The Last Paladin; 12-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    I don't think he is disliking the game because its targeting women, from what he has already wrote he doesn't like these type of games, period. He finds them sexist (from both the male and female pov). Not to put words in his mouth or anything but that is what I read from him. I'll let him defend himself, if he finds the need to do so at all.
    It's already clear that he doesn't like games that he considers sexist. I don't take issue with that.

But, in context, he was reacting to my telling him that there was a genre of games written for a female audience. That is the defining attribute of the Otome genre, as should be clear if one reads the wikipedia link I provided. I don't doubt some Otome games are sexist, but I also expect many are quite innocuous.

There is a significant difference between having no interest in a genre, or even disliking it, and actually being offended by its existence, which is how I read "throwing up".

As I said, I prefer a reasoned discussion to simple expressions of disgust. There's less room to misinterpret the context.
    --Raven

Haha! "Classmating". Holy gods, they've managed to twist it into horrible sexual puns in English now. Wow.

I'm not ruling it out because Atlus has been mostly giving me rewarding games. I haven't bought Dragon's corwn but mostly because I don't have a PS3 or vita. In fact, it's about time I'm thinking of getting a PS3 hmn, has the critical mass for enough good games happened yet?

I think so. There's a ton of good rpgs on it, along with games of other genres that are pretty awesome too. You can probably get a bunch of stuff for cheap now as well.

But is the game GOOD?

No seriously, the only thing I hear about the gameplay is the "classmating" system and it sounds vague and/or not very interesting.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    But is the game GOOD?

No seriously, the only thing I hear about the gameplay is the "classmating" system and it sounds vague and/or not very interesting.
    Well, Famitsu and Dengeki seem to have liked it. For more details, you'll need a translator or to wait for the English-language reviews.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I would like to try this game. I have no problem with games like this.
    Some advice: Just ignore the throw-up person.
    Last edited by Slayer; 12-31-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: loco