Thread: Uma no Toshi - Japandemonium for Jan. 13th, 2014

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Uma no Toshi - Japandemonium for Jan. 13th, 2014

Giddyup! Yee-haw! It's dinnertime!

Excellent fan mail.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    the whole business of old 'new' mech shows in SRW is this, the franchise has hit peak robots. The only series they haven't used already are either truly forgotten relics of the 70's and 80's, the original creators are too protective of to allow for crossovers (rare cases), or too new for the no spoilers for two years rule. At least they try to do something different story-wise the shows in heavy rotation every time they're introduced to a new sub-series, but yeah I'm really sick of the Seed Destiny units' combat animations.

Thank you for another enjoyable installment!
    How is the married life treating you?

I like these articles, but have you considered making a culture corner thread on the forums? I can ask things, but I don't go through the, uh, "hassle" of emails and what not. That is to say, I'm lazy. The Q&A thread has generated a bit more for questions.

Here's a Q though: is there anything you would recommend for trying to teach yourself to read Japanese? Like, maybe text books or something? Speaking and understanding spoken Japanese would be cool, but I would be pretty content to just read stuff. If these recommendations could include things one might be able to find online, that would be super.

Another Q: Are Japanese people typically friendly when they encounter someone looking for info in broken Japanese? Do you find that certain ethnicities are by and large avoided? Living in an area with a University and College I find myself encountering a lot of people who don't speak much more than the English they need to get by, so I wondered if it would be much the same experience over yonder?

See, I can come up with all sorts of stuff while browsing the forum that I'm way too lazy to actually email or whatever. Consider the thread idea!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    More SRW Z! Not that I'll be plying it anytime soon, since I'm still WAY behind on playing SRW Z2.2.

The new additions to that series are always interesting to look at. Gundam Unicorn is certainly the big one (too bad its so expensive... Still need to get the fourth volume of that), but Aquarion Evol is a nice new entry, and makes a lot of ense given that its new and Aquarion was one of the big new debuts back in Z1. Full Metal Panic is simply overdue, since I thought it would have been perfect alongside Code Geass and Gundam Wing in Z2. I admit I'm kinda surprised we didn't get Eureka Seven AO, though. It is the continuation of a series that has been really important to the Z plot, and it has more than its own share of temporal weirdness that would have let it fit right in. I guess it is still too new?

Gundam AGE is really getting snubbed, though.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Gundam AGE is really getting snubbed, though.
    As it deserves. also 2 year rule. but mostly gundam age is goddawful.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    As it deserves. also 2 year rule. but mostly gundam age is goddawful.
    Sadly true. I liked the first arc of the story quite a bit more than I expected to (outside of a few very clear flaws), and the second arc had a start with some potential, but it was a very big downward slide from there. I'm only a bit into the third arc and it is... well, it's quite terrible.

I like Gundam AGE-2, though, and a lot of the enemy grunt mechs.

Surely you can't post all that about year of the horse, or Uma no anything for that matter, without making a Disgaea 1 reference! Darns those horses and their exceptionally large chins!
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

Ah-ha, new year cards for the year of the horse. So it's time to play spot the spot the horsey!

... I guess zebras could count as horses.
    And Marvelous AQL seemed to have missed a trick pony, by having lots of farm(?) animals but no horse. (Maybe that game doesn't have any?!)

follows the story of Magnolia Arche, a soi-disant "Devil King Buster"
    The English translation for "Devil King" might be "Ba'al" judging by the bonus bosses in Bravely Default.
    E.g. "Ba'al i; Turtle Dove", who was a free DLC boss. (Note: The "i" is a 1.)

Of course that is assuming that we are going to get a localised version, and/or that they stick with the same name. (Probably best to stick with "Devil King" really.)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Well, there seems to be more than one 天魔王 (Heavenly Devil King) in evidence here, though honestly I'm not sure what to make of the artsy-craftsy approach to boss design.

I just realized I have really fallen behind on all the news here. It has been a good long while since I even get to read Japandamonium. Thankfully the situation has been reconciled.

Just out of curiosity, what's hot on the Japanese anime/manga scene right now? I am still finishing up my stash from 2010, but I think it's high time I start getting some new ones.
    Also, I'm wondering what the Japanese keyboard looks like. Can you like, post a pic? I can't quite imagine how people chat in the game. Or do Japanese use voice chats?

Also, they have canned potions now? Crazy. I prefer the old bottle though. Those are purty.
    Last edited by xocolatl; 01-25-2014 at 09:31 AM.