Thread: The Banner Saga Now Available

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

The Banner Saga Now Available

The world needs more Viking RPGs, and Kickstarter has provided. We can all now see just how well we'd cut it in the frozen North by playing The Banner Saga.

[Story and Launch Trailer]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I want this game, but don't have the money for it. It's on my steam wishlist though, so I'll get it.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

It feels like I am playing a Don Bluth movie about vikings.

I am very okay with this!
    Last edited by freykin; 01-15-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Fixing some typos.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Looks interesting... in combat are the units all generic and disposable, or are you attached to your units special and generic in terms of building them up? (ie: disposable or buildable like in fft?)

From the two hours I've played, every unit is a specific character. There are several base classes, with a bunch of specializations; each character is both a base class and a specialization. You can improve your characters via levelling them up and via a single equipment slot, which can hold more powerful items as they level. I think the max level is 5, but I'm not certain.

Levels make a huge difference. They give you 2 points to customize stats with, with each point having a major impact, and can also improve your special abilities.

There are also larger scale battles, where your whole group of followers and large enemy groups clash. You choose a strategy, each of which has various trade offs, then participate yourself in a small tactical battle.

It's a very linear game so far, in that you can't go around and explore. There are a ton of choices to be made at every turn, and I can definitely feel a difference based on what I choose.

There also does not seem to be permadeath besides story reasons. If someone falls in battle, depending on what difficulty setting you are playing on they will be injured for a number of days afterwards, with decreased stats if they are used in battle before healing up.
    Last edited by freykin; 01-15-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: additional info

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Jmustang1968's Avatar
    I played the press demo for this and it was amazing.

All of the characters you fight with are story characters.

As said above, you are in a caravan and while travelling, you are beset by a bunch of events and tactical battles. Every decision can have dire consequences.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Sounds cool, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, this one is going high on my wish list for sure. The art style and gameplay all look like the type of game I could lose hours at a time with. There needs to be more tactical (and Viking) RPGs on the PC
    Last edited by SpaceLion; 01-19-2014 at 08:23 AM.