Thread: Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - Retroview

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - Retroview

Humans and Deimos are on a collision course, with both sides seeking to draw blood forevermore. The resulting game does a lot of things right, but never addresses what happened to Phobos in this naming convention.
    I'm not Bebedora. Too bad.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Nice score for this game, and it's about where I'd put it too.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I do remember playing this, and while having fun, it left no real reason for future playthroughs.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Agreed with your review Jumes, I thought this was a pretty good game worthy of being remembered along side the PS1 Arc the Lad's. The dual perspectives and easy going style of SRPG made it fun and easy to play. A shame that End of Darkness was so unremarkable and dare I say awful that the series hasn't had anything since.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 01-19-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

I have good memories of this game.
    I can see how it would be easy to dismiss by association with End of Darkness though for anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

End of Darkness was probably my first experience feeling disappointment. I specifically remember visiting rpgamer during computer class in highschool getting excited over screenshots. Arc the Lad was probably my favorite game at the time. I rented Twilight of the Spirits twice before finally buying it. That was back when my town actually have a video store.
    Times sure have changed.

Game was fun and I actually bought the soundtrack for it. Ending was pretty underwhelming compared to the rest of the game though, which I think hurts it a lot.

Yeah I really like this game. Lots of great ideas both in the story and the gameplay. Easily my favorite Arc game, and one I can return to and enjoy just about anytime. I mostly just felt myself longing for more in the customization department. It felt a little linear for my tastes. Still great game though, especially if you like tactical battles
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Nice review and very agreeable score. Twilight was a very endearing title for me, I thoroughly enjoyed it as well as the majority of the characters. Again, I have the same complaints as most other people, lack of customization and some odd story/content choices late in the game. But apart from that it was a very enjoyable game and worth checking out if your feeling retro.

Thank you for your detailed review.
    I generally agree with most of it.
    Didn't the VA for Vegeta(DBZ) voice the primary Deimos character? Kakarot!!!
    As a sidebar, how many of you fine folks played all the PSOne Arcs?
    Man, Arc 2 was super long.
    Last edited by Slayer; 01-21-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: loco

I played the PS1 Arcs. While 2 was long compared to the first, it was short by today's standards. Maybe 40 hours if you did everything and a couple hours for that last boss, lol.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    Thank you for your detailed review.
    I generally agree with most of it.
    Didn't the VA for Vegeta(DBZ) voice the primary Deimos character? Kakarot!!!
    As a sidebar, how many of you fine folks played all the PSOne Arcs?
    Man, Arc 2 was super long.
    Arc the lad 2 was my favorite in the series. Love a long RPG with a large cast of characters. It is rare to find these days as most RPG's become more streamlined with smaller casts.
    Last edited by scorpio_7; 01-22-2014 at 01:56 AM.

The final boss of arc the lad 2 is the longest final boss fight I've ever done. Like holy crap. I think I grinded for like 5 hours at the end just to do enough damage so it wouldn't take a million years and I wouldn't have to worry about dying too much.

Now I'm sure there was a fast way to beat him or something...but I had no idea what it was. I probably missed some amazing equipment or something...but since you couldn't go back once you enter the last dungeon and it's crazy long...yeah I didn't have me to redo all of that.

My strategy. Let Elk wail on him, Lieza heal and Arc hit him from the side with a stick (the only battle where I had him do this as well). The other 2...didn't really do much from what I remember. I tried bringing those 2 ogre things with high magic, but they ran out of mp too fast to be useful.

Funny that in Arc 1 magic was OP as crap. Then in 2 it was nerfed crazy bad, so normal attacks were the best thing. Then in 3, normal attacks were superbly weak so you had to spam magic the whole game. 4 had a nice balance for the most part, just a lot of useless skills.

End of Darkness might be the worst game I've ever beaten. No joke there. But the first 4 all had something enjoyable about them.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 01-23-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: q

I enjoyed this game, and was considering replaying it.

I think the reason Twilight of the Spirits was forgotten may be the abysmal sequel. I forget what it was called, but it was almost unplayable.

Yeah, hyper. It was a long fight, but it only took me two tries. The key for me was the right accessories and Elc's charge-up buff. I recall there was one accessory that reduced or eliminated MP costs and another that restored MP. I set one on Elc and one on a healer (the singer, I forget her name). And basically just used those two for the fight after expending everyone else's MP, with Elc using his charge-up buff sitting safely outside of the boss's range until maxing it out (6 or 7 turns), then walking up for a spear in the face for several hundred damage versus the pathetic single digit damage output of regular attacks. Then Elc would get butchered, the healer would revive him, then the process would repeat again. Using that basic strategy I think I recall beating the game like 20 levels lower than I hear most people beat it at. It was still a 40-50 minute fight though.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Yeah, hyper. It was a long fight, but it only took me two tries. The key for me was the right accessories and Elc's charge-up buff. I recall there was one accessory that reduced or eliminated MP costs and another that restored MP. I set one on Elc and one on a healer (the singer, I forget her name). And basically just used those two for the fight after expending everyone else's MP, with Elc using his charge-up buff sitting safely outside of the boss's range until maxing it out (6 or 7 turns), then walking up for a spear in the face for several hundred damage versus the pathetic single digit damage output of regular attacks. Then Elc would get butchered, the healer would revive him, then the process would repeat again. Using that basic strategy I think I recall beating the game like 20 levels lower than I hear most people beat it at. It was still a 40-50 minute fight though.
    You know I can't remember, but I must have had that accessory. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep Lieza healing the whole time. Didn't think of that strategy though, nice job! Would have been helpful to consider it, but I think I was so focused on not dying after awhile that I kinda tossed all the other ideas aside.