Thread: Hottest News Stories & Controversies of 2013 - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Hottest News Stories & Controversies of 2013 - Currents

2014 is finally upon us. Now is likely the best time to recap to the most talked about and controversial news stories of 2013. Did we miss any?

CURRENTS
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    My personal theory on DmC (being an impartial observer who had no previous experience with the series) is that it illustrates why character design is very important. The new DmC guy looked like a smug, self-important jerk. It was written all over his face whenever you saw his design, and he was front and center in the marketing. Yeah, there was a lot of Internet griping by series fans about other things, but I blame the game's overall sales failure on that character design. Do you want to be that guy? I sure don't, and I say this as somebody who isn't a guy at all. He looks like the kind of person I block from my Twitter feed, not a hero OR an anti-hero that I want to portray in an adventure. His design was basically an immediate wallet lockdown even for people unfamiliar with DmC.

Also, Trent, your '80s nostalgia makes me smile. I totally get it, since I have a certain amount of '60s nostalgia myself as a person born in the '70s. Nostalgia for a time you never knew is a lovely thing, since you don't have to experience that time's downsides. (As a Latino friend of mine says, "I don't get why people want to go back to the '80s. I remember life under Reagan, man, we were POOR.")

And more shallowly, have you ever dressed like this? We '80s kids have fashion scars.

slouch-socks-alan-hunter.jpg

You should see my 8th grade class photo. I've got it all... the poofy flower bangs sprayed with a mountain of Aqua Net, the side ponytail with two scrunchies, and the puffy paint sweatshirt. That's right a puffy paint sweatshirt. The horror, the horror.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I thought the 2DS did have a power saving mode? Unless the "Sleep" switch on the store display model only turns off the screen and nothing else.

I think the issue with DmC was how Capcom seemed so intent on redesigning Dante when they already got him right in the first game. Why keep changing such an awesome character? Well, they just did, and it annoyed people. DmC felt like a slap in the face. As far as actual gameplay mechanics, I don't remember a major difference.

And I still consider the whole Aliens thing laughable. People thinking they were going to get some awesome licensed game because of one cool looking trailer even though it was likely to be just another shooter. Meanwhile, Gearbox gave us something (mostly) original and cool in Borderlands, while Sega is legendary for mismanaging their properties. In the end, Borderlands was the more deserving franchise and I'm glad to see it flourishing (even if they are now getting stupid with the DLC and MicroT's).

LOL! Yay for Blood Dragon praise! I just can't get into the Far Cry games since I was disappointed by the first two, but Blood made me feel like I could still enjoy a Far Cry game without tolerating a Far Cry game...if that makes sense.

Heh. I don't recall many people here predicting MS' policy reversal. Certainly not before I did. Actually, many denied they would.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 01-20-2014 at 09:33 PM.

I would personally vote for the XboxOne debacle being number one on the list closely followed by the SimCity disaster at number two.
    Last edited by goateguy; 01-20-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Read article again and found I was wrong.
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

As other have more or less said, the problem with DmC wasn't that it was a bad game, it was that it was every bit the cynical "westernization" everyone thought it was going to be. It's more or less exactly what the Super Mario Bros Movie was to Super Mario Bros. Some of the cutscenes are so ugly and mean-spirited they almost defy belief.

As for the sexism stuff... yeah, it would be good if people would stop threatening to rape women for writing stuff that rubs them the wrong way. Like, real good. Setting the bar low here, I'll admit.
    Last edited by Drav; 01-21-2014 at 06:14 AM.

*props feet up grabs a Cigarette and holds up a glass of wine*

Sounds like any other year in gaming to me. lets see what 2014 brings
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Also, Trent, your '80s nostalgia makes me smile. I totally get it, since I have a certain amount of '60s nostalgia myself as a person born in the '70s. Nostalgia for a time you never knew is a lovely thing, since you don't have to experience that time's downsides. (As a Latino friend of mine says, "I don't get why people want to go back to the '80s. I remember life under Reagan, man, we were POOR.")
    I do have a huge softspot for the 80s (I am technically an 80s baby, afterall). Golden age syndrome.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."