Thread: Justify My Love - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Justify My Love - Currents

This week, Microsoft bought the Gears of War franchise and tried to get away with buying your love too. Let's look at some of January's hottest news stories and controversies.

CURRENTS

If I could ask you readers some questions this week, they would be:

▪ Has the Xbox One/Machinima controversy affected how you view these two companies?

▪ Do you implicitly trust video producers, knowing that they might be paid to say (or not say) certain things?

▪ Would you expect video producers to disclose whether or not they are paid by advertisers?
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I will continue to refer to the company as Bamco Nandai, having dealt with both iterations of the company name throughout my tenure here at RPGamer. :-p

As for your questions:

1. Nope. Microsoft has little choice but to distance itself from the controversy and I've never watched anything but official trailers from Machinima, so ::shrug::.

2. I am far more likely to read a text review, Let's Play, FAQ, etc. than watch a video one. Text just gets information across so much more efficiently than video. On the rare occasion I watch a gaming-related Youtube video, it's usually either completely silly or more informative than editorial. So if Ubisoft wants to pay the "I Broke..." guys to do their games (I seriously doubt it does!), well, more power to them. When it comes to opinions on games that I actually listen to, I'm far more likely to ask my friends, including my RPGamer co-workers.

3. I certainly would expect video producers to obey advertisement law and also not be shady. I don't necessarily trust that they are doing either of those things, but ideally people would obey the law and not be shady. :-p

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I just like to call them "Bamco" myself.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Gears no biggie. They wanted it to be more first-party. Pretty simple really. I agree the core trilogy was enough.
    Halo didn't so much fail to innovate as it innovated backwards: more copying CoD, less focusing on what made Halo so great in the first place. It showed in Halo 4, mostly in the multiplayer. Campaign was all right, but only because the Covenant was so well designed in the first place. Prometheans sucked butt.

If swapping the order of two well known words improves brand standing, I would like to humbly request all readers refer to me as "Seely Trent" from now on.
    As someone who has spent the last 5 months talking with Canadian Tire's marketing team about the finer points of image branding...you better believe it makes a difference. Or so those marketing monkeys have led me to believe anyway.

Frankly, I always referred to them as just "Bandai" this whole time.

▪ Has the Xbox One/Machinima controversy affected how you view these two companies? - As far as Microsoft goes, this incident is pretty far down the list of reasons not to buy the Xbone. However, it did confirm some suspicions I had about Machinima.

▪ Do you implicitly trust video producers, knowing that they might be paid to say (or not say) certain things? - I don't watch a lot of video content as it relates to current games, partly because I don't trust anyone talking about a game that's still being sold in public.

▪ Would you expect video producers to disclose whether or not they are paid by advertisers? - Considering most of them would be covered under the FTC guidelines, absolutely.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Gears no biggie. They wanted it to be more first-party. Pretty simple really. I agree the core trilogy was enough.
    Halo didn't so much fail to innovate as it innovated backwards: more copying CoD, less focusing on what made Halo so great in the first place. It showed in Halo 4, mostly in the multiplayer. Campaign was all right, but only because the Covenant was so well designed in the first place. Prometheans sucked butt.

As someone who has spent the last 5 months talking with Canadian Tire's marketing team about the finer points of image branding...you better believe it makes a difference. Or so those marketing monkeys have led me to believe anyway.

Frankly, I always referred to them as just "Bandai" this whole time.
    Ha, do you work at Canadian Tire's head office? You might know my spouse.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

The logo in Tales of Xillia says Bandai Namco... did nobody notice that?

Bambi Nacho?

Maybe the Bandai rebranding is more to do with their other subsidiaries, so that they can just put Bandai in front of every company name and everyone will be more likely to associate each one with the others.

E.g. Giving us the usual games under Bandai Namco and then release of their some robot stuff Bandai Presto, etc, etc.

Although that would make more sense if they were going to have some other well known subsidiaries, which release things here in the west...

... Could this mean they are planning to buy a new worldwide company?
    Is that surprise solution that Seely Trent wanted, going to be an actual Fusion which gives the world a Bandai Nintendo? (...o.k. maybe not!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sent Treely
    If swapping the order of two well known words improves brand standing, I would like to humbly request all readers refer to me as "Seely Trent" from now on.
    Well I guess now that you mention it, I do have to tell you that "SeeTre" just sounds better than "TreSee".

I'll have to remember to give that a try.
    Last edited by silktail; 01-29-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: are not will be failure.

Ha, do you work at Canadian Tire's head office? You might know my spouse.
    No, they've decided to take on one of our products and it sounds like they plan to go all-in. They're even talking about filming a documentary about it. Not sure why. Something to do with YouTube I guess.

It's kind of funny what those marketing people worry about. Some of it makes sense. Some of it falls squarely in the "truth is stranger than fiction" category. And some of it just makes me go "wha...?". For example, the colour brown. My, oh my, what a lecture you can get entirely around the use of the colour brown.

Actually, maybe there is a good documentary about it somewhere. It's actually quite bizarre, funny, and overall entertaining to see what these marketing types have learned over the years.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 01-30-2014 at 10:06 PM.