Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPGamer's Best of 2013 Awards

RPGamer's Best of 2013 Awards

After much deliberation, the RPGamer staff has finally decided on the best games of 2013. It was tough this year, as the choices were very diverse, but here they are.

Here are the awards!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Wow. That's a prominent showing by an MMO. Unusual considering how other players can impact an online experience negatively, having to deal with downtime, grinding, and considering you'd have to pay a monthly fee for it.

Awakening's showing isn't surprising. Great game. I'd agree with SMT4 and Ni-no-kuni being a letdown as well.

I strongly disagree with the lack of love for Ni No Kuni and Shin Megami Tensei IV as I wasn't let down by either of them and enjoyed SMT IV more than Fire Emblem, your pick for RPG of the Year. Aside from that, I don't care for seeing Tales of Xillia at number three for the story category as I thought the game's story got progressively weaker and became unbearably bad by the end (in no small part due to Jude being my least favorite Tales protagonist). I do like Fire Emblem as a choice for RPG of the Year, though.

Tales' stories have always been a strong point for the series,
    o.O

O.o

I think this might be the first time, ever, that the Tales series' storytelling has been categorically praised. April 1st is awfully far off...

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    I strongly disagree with the lack of love for Ni No Kuni and Shin Megami Tensei IV as I wasn't let down by either of them and enjoyed SMT IV more than Fire Emblem, your pick for RPG of the Year.
    While I also wasn't disappointed with either, I can understand why some might be. All depends on perspective, expectation, etc. Just keep in mind that "letdown" doesn't mean "thought was bad".

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    o.O

O.o

I think this might be the first time, ever, that the Tales series' storytelling has been categorically praised. April 1st is awfully far off...
    I don't think so? A lot of people play the series for story.
    Last edited by Wheels; 01-28-2014 at 02:05 PM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    While I also wasn't disappointed with either, I can understand why some might be. All depends on perspective, expectation, etc. Just keep in mind that "letdown" doesn't mean "thought was bad".
    Yeah, I tried to make that clear in the SMT IV writeup. We save the games we thought were really awful for "Worst RPG." And Ni no Kuni was divisive on staff. I loved it to death until I got to the White Witch arc (which was... meh) and didn't vote for it in Biggest Letdown, but enough people did that it won. I understand the letdown, because even though I loved the game, I'm also a fan of Ghibli films and I know that Studio Ghibli could have written a waaaay better story. It was a pretty divisive game in general around the Internet, so it's unsurprising that RPGamer's staff was split on it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I am rather disappointed that my lobbying to get more praise for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate failed, but I guess it couldn't be helped. Maybe MH4U will succeed where it's predecessor failed.

Also, I am really amazed at how well FFXIV did, overall. I mean, I wrote half those blurbs praising it, but it still managed to win awards I didn't even think it deserved. Go figure.

I was ready to question NiNo being collared as a let down, but I tend to agree with the weaknesses that have been pointed out. Maybe a euphemism is in order...perhaps 'Most Untapped Potential' or 'Biggest Hype Discrepancy'?

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Guys guys, you hurt me...no indie category? I hope one is added for 2014's list next year, because there are quite a few that could use some recognition. I do agree with most of this list though.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealityChecked View Post
    I was ready to question NiNo being collared as a let down, but I tend to agree with the weaknesses that have been pointed out. Maybe a euphemism is in order...perhaps 'Most Untapped Potential' or 'Biggest Hype Discrepancy'?
    to-may-to, to-mah-to. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Hmm, interesting GOTY list this year. Something that immediately stands out to me is that Adventure Time, a game that scored 2.5 on RPGamer, was ranked higher than FF14 on Best Multiplayer. Although I never played Adventure Time, this pick just goes against logic here. A beloved MMO that reviewed highly and is considered the second best RPG of the year is runner up to Adventure Time when it comes to multiplayer? Quite a head scratcher for me, and easily the thing I disagree with the most on the list. Especially when you consider that FF14 was the best multiplayer experience I've had in years playing with friendly online denizens and fellow RPGamers.

As for Ni No Kuni and SMT4, I don't agree with either of them being letdowns, though I can see how they sort of win by default. If I had to guess, there were high hopes that these two games would be some of the best ever. Even though they didn't live up to that, they were still good games. For me the clear winner of this section was Project X Zone, though expectations were probably very low for this one in the first place. Granted, Project X Zone also wins my worst RPG of the year award, though thankfully I haven't had the misfortune of playing any of the titles that appear on the worst RPG list.

My top 4 GOTY picks are Etrian Odyssey 4, FF 14, Tales of Xillia, and Fire Emblem Awakening. Kind of surprising not to see much praise for Etrian Odyssey 4 considering it was on last year's most anticipated and it ended up being my favorite game last year. Difficult for me to differentiate between the last 3 as FF 14 has a big impact on me last year, Tales of Xillia was my favorite Tales for a majority of the playtime, and Fire Emblem is of course stellar as everyone already knows.

Overall I think this is a fairly good read, and one that tells me I really need to get around to playing A Link Between Worlds and find some excuse to get a Vita for Ys: Memories of Celceta. :P
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

2013 seems to have been a thin year for RPGs. Which may be why I managed to progress on the ol' backlog. But anyway, I have to agree with Ni No being a letdown. It's been a long time since I just set a game aside after such a short time and felt no urge to return to it.

From what I've seen of Adventure Time, multiplayer is its only redeeming quality. I could see it winning out with those that don't engage in MMORPGs.

Anyway, for me, 2014 is looking to be a much better year for RPGs with titles like Dark Souls II and Dragon Age: Inquisition coming up and looking spectacular from what I've seen.

Gotta agree with watcher, looking at the list of RPGs that came out in 2013, and the way things shook out with this, it really was a pretty thin year. On the other hand, other than a handful of games, I don't see 2014 being much different at this point.

I'm not sure if I can really agree or disagree with any of those at this point, because I actually don't think I have played any 2013 released games yet, though I did grab several of them for the backlog. We shall see though, I'll probably get to a few of them this year. Especially since it looks like another big backlog-tackling year for me.

I haven't played Etrian Odyssey Untold(did play IV though which I liked a lot) yet but surprised to see it in the top three and not Pokemon X/Y. Not complaining I'm more of a EO fan myself. I've heard SMT IV is lacking but it's in my collection yet to be played so I can't say on that one. I hope to enjoy it a lot though.

Definitely agree with Fire Emblem as the GOTY pick. Also nice to see Atelier Ayesha get some mention in the console/graphic sections.

^ I would disagree about 2013 being a thin year for RPGs, other than AAA WRPGs we had some good stuff in just about every category.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    Hmm, interesting GOTY list this year. Something that immediately stands out to me is that Adventure Time, a game that scored 2.5 on RPGamer, was ranked higher than FF14 on Best Multiplayer. Although I never played Adventure Time, this pick just goes against logic here.
    Our review is only for the ps3 version. I can't speak for other staffers but I didn't run into any of the bugs and glitches on the Wii U version.

I'm not sure what you mean by how it goes against logic though. Many still prefer couch co-op to MMO type multiplayer.

Definitely agree with Ni No Kuni as an enormous letdown. After the wonder of the first hour wears off, it's an entirely mediocre experience.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Our review is only for the ps3 version. I can't speak for other staffers but I didn't run into any of the bugs and glitches on the Wii U version.

I'm not sure what you mean by how it goes against logic though. Many still prefer couch co-op to MMO type multiplayer.
    Yeah I mentioned that in my review and even after I posted it and did some digging and the Wii U version or the 3DS versions are definitely the way to go if you want to try Adventure Time: ETDBIDK. There doesn't seem to be any reports of bugs or glitches or save data wiping, which makes me wish I had bought it on that console instead. That being said, I LOVE couch co-op RPGs and any excuse I have to play them with Fowl Sorcerous, I do and we played chunks of ETDBIDK together and it made it a ton of fun to play. The multiplayer is done surprisingly well, it's not clunky or awkward to have the second player on the same perspective. I'm sure if I liked MMOs and played 14 I probably would have voted for 14, but considering the co-op RPGs I played this year (this and Blood Knights which was... special), I feel like ETDBIDK was a better choice.

I think if I hadn't encountered the glitches I got, perhaps ETDBIDK would have scored slightly higher? It's tough to say considering it's got generic written all over it (minus those boss fights, never seen a dungeon crawler with such unique boss battles, at least in a long time). It's a tough call, really!

im going to assume Monolithsoft's X does not qualify for most wanted due to lack of concrete information about it.

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    It was available to vote for but I believe most didn't because of said lack of information (of course a few may not be interested in it anyway ). The alleged 2014 release also seems a bit optimistic, so people would rather go for something that's a bit more likely to arrive in this year and more clearly in the "building anticipation" stage; just seems a bit early to get fully anticipated for.

Conversely I think the opposite applied for Bravely Default, it that it was so close to release with a few staffies having already played it either due to being European or getting review copies that's it's not really anticipated rather than imminent.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    im going to assume Monolithsoft's X does not qualify for most wanted due to lack of concrete information about it.
    What severin said is spot on, but that didn't stop it from being on my personal list of most wanteds.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm