Thread: Catch Up on Lightning's Earlier Adventures

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Catch Up on Lightning's Earlier Adventures

Square Enix has produced a handy video for those wishing to get a refresher on the events in the games preceding Lightning Returns. For added artistic effect, it has been done in the retro style.

[ Still waiting on original Klingon version ]
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 01-31-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

All that video does is make me wish for a new retro-style FF game.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 01-31-2014 at 12:09 PM.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Forget about HD remakes, I want a 16-bit remake of FF13.

...but if anything, this trailer has cemented my decision to wait on 13-3. That abridged version of 13-2's plot didn't exactly evoke fond memories.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven

Not sure whether to take this as a respectful gesture or a slap to the face, but either way it was kinda cool to see. Ultros was a nice touch.

That was hilarious. And now I don't have to finish 13-2 so I can jump right in to 13-3 on the 11th.
    And the 16bit graphics was a nice touch, gives it that nostalgic touch.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

I would have liked the first game a lot more if it was in that style. I keep saying that classic style games with 32-bit 2D graphics could be made cheap for decent profits, but Squeenix has been graphics focused for quite some time, so I think some indies will have to do it. Also, apply the same thing to a Secret of Mana style game with local or online multiplayer capabilities and someone would make solid coin.

Square-Enix is once again using nostalgia to market their new game. It's kind of sad that nostalgia is the only value besides shiny graphics that the FF-series has anymore...

But hey, I can live on that a while longer. :P
    Last edited by Sandy; 01-31-2014 at 11:41 PM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    I would have liked the first game a lot more if it was in that style. I keep saying that classic style games with 32-bit 2D graphics could be made cheap for decent profits, but Squeenix has been graphics focused for quite some time, so I think some indies will have to do it. Also, apply the same thing to a Secret of Mana style game with local or online multiplayer capabilities and someone would make solid coin.
    Actually, the Bravely series is exactly Squeenix's attempt to produce some classic-style RPGs with lower development costs. It's more than 32 bit, but I love the way the graphics turned out.

The retro recap of XIII-2 cracked me up. They almost made that story make sense! Almost.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Actually, the Bravely series is exactly Squeenix's attempt to produce some classic-style RPGs with lower development costs. It's more than 32 bit, but I love the way the graphics turned out.

The retro recap of XIII-2 cracked me up. They almost made that story make sense! Almost.
    They still failed horribly. How does that ending lead to Lightning Returns? That's what my friend asked after watching it (he has never played either one).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    They still failed horribly. How does that ending lead to Lightning Returns? That's what my friend asked after watching it (he has never played either one).
    Because despite that cow giving sour milk from the start, they have to keep on milking it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That was incredibly cute. Apparently FF6 is the favorite game of *someone* on that team. 8-) They even copied the font.

Probably the best thing I've watched this year until now. =3
    I still haven't finished FFXIII-2 but now I don't feel obligated to do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Cause it's missing a key piece of information

Serah and Gaius both had a piece of the Goddess Etro. Serah had the Eyes of Etro however Gaius had the Heart of Etro. When Gaius killed himself but slamming himself into the blade the Goddess was killed as well. Serah thereby due to her link with the Goddess Etro was also killed. And without the Goddess the World was set upon to the end of Days.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D