Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Kick to Start

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll - Kick to Start

What's your stance when Kickstarting RPGs comes up?
    Great idea!
    Helpful most of the time
    Better than letting IPs rot
    Unlikely to make a difference
    I refuse to support them
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Great idea until the whole early access thing ruined it.

Yeah it depends on the project, but I'm happy it exists.

Great idea, says the guy who's never kickstarted anything. I wait to buy them until they're done so I don't have the perspective of having caught the bad end of the risk but have enjoyed all the games funded by Kickstarter I've played thus far and there's several pending that are among my most anticipated upcoming games.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

In my heart I feel like better than letting IPs rot. In my head I refuse to support them, but that is both a matter of money supply on my side being tight and the over-promising of game features at certain financing levels. But I am certain both of those will change in time for the better.
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I don't Kickstart a lot, but I love the concept and am glad I've been able to get in on the funding for some of my more anticipated titles. I think crowdfunding is playing an important role in the gaming ecosystem right now, allowing small companies/indies to fund niche titles. With most big publishers going whole hog on AAA games and ignoring everything else, Kickstarter is a great opportunity to give us back the kinds of small and mid-size titles that we used to see from smaller publishers that are now long-dead.

This year will be very interesting, since a bunch of the big projects are coming out. I think many development teams will find out that individual gamers are much harsher masters than publishers, feeling particularly entitled because they were "part of development." Having funded Broken Age, I've already seen a number of people on the backer forums basically saying, "This isn't the game I imagined in my head. I want my money back!"

Or even worse, the Torment team put up a poll asking gamers if they wanted turn-based or real time with pause combat. The two came out tied, so the team went with turn-based because that was their preference and they had to go with one of them. Of course, all the RTWP people threw a hissy fit and a bunch threatened or tried to cancel their pledges. It's the kind of stuff I can imagine might drive some developers back into the cold, dead arms of publishers.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

It seems like there are only really three kinds of RPG Kickstarters that actually get anywhere:

1. Kickstarters from developers who already have an established catalogue of games and/or a desirable IP.

2. Kickstarters from developers who only really need an initial boost of interest to prove to angel investors that their project is worth bothering with.

3. Kickstarters for games that are practically finished and really just need money for polish/marketing.

The couple that didn't fall into these categories but were funded anyway because they had a good pitch, like Sui Generis or that ludicrous JRPG project ("Which one?" Yeah.), are... not looking so hot right now.

As for Kickstarter in general... eh. I only backed Shadowrun Returns (haven't played yet. Heard it's not so good), Wasteland 2 (not out, but impression of the beta are positive), Pillars of Eternity (not out, but looks really good), and Torment (too soon to say). There have been a whole load of adventure games that I was interested in when they were announced, but it's becoming more and more obvious that no one is interested in making the kind of adventure games I want to play anymore (ie the ones with puzzles not aimed at 5 year olds), even if they plan or marketing them as spiritual successors to some of my favorites. C'est la vie, I guess.

I'm not sure which one I'd fall under since I've only backed one Kickstarter ever, and it was for an RPG. Mainly I think it's a good idea if the developer doesn't let itself fall victim to scope creep.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    that ludicrous JRPG project ("Which one?" Yeah.), are... not looking so hot right now.
    Hahahaha, are you referring to Soul Saga?

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I have only backed two projects, one being a full-cast production audiobook of a Gail Carriger novel and Cosmic Star Heroine, so I'll be interested in seeing how those turn out first before I bother to kick start anything else. ;

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Hahahaha, are you referring to Soul Saga?
    I had to Google that name even though I was reading about it the other day, buy yes.

I think its a great thing, although I won't be backing anything myself. My contribution or lack of will not make much of a difference. And if the game reviews well later, I'll pick it up. I want to see the successful project start coming before I even consider kickstarting anything. And I'm only likely to start backing companies that have already released games previously kickstarted without too much BS along the way on their previous efforts.

What I don't like, is when I see the following:
    - Backers treating kickstarter like a glorified pre-order service. Thats a nice perk, but its an attitude that I feel hurts the efforts.
    - Alpha versions of games being released pay-for (especially if its pay-for at much higher than expected retail).
    - Unmanaged bloat when kickstarters (massively) exceed expectations on their fundraising

To date, there have only been a handful of games that have really sparked my interest, a few mentioned here, and some others like Cryamore and Mighty Number 9. But like I said, they were going to succeed or fail regardless of whether I pitched in a couple bucks or not.

As of late, I've only backed one new Kickstarter and don't really plan on backing (m)any others. Cosmic Star Heroine basically got my pre-order because the scope was reasonable, the pitch was solid, and I've seen them do it before. There were no stretch goals trying to bait people to fund more. Some larger devs might have the resources to handle this, but most smaller devs don't and are deluding themselves if they think otherwise. Telepath Tactics earlier in 2013 was also reasonable in scope.

I just have a hard time tossing money and a pitch that is basically "I love RPGs and am going to make my dream game, but I just need money to do so." If you can't gather resources to start on your own, how do I know you can manage resources once I give you tons of money?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I've only backed two projects to date, and only one an RPG. It's a fine idea, but it's best to be discriminatory as to which projects to back, or at least I think so.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

How is it looking bad? I was thinking of checking it once the game gets released.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Soul Saga may not be everybody's cup of tea (I'm not a backer precisely because I was iffy on the character concepts), but it actually looks like the project is plugging away just fine. The developer posts regular (rather detailed) updates on his progress via the game's official site and appears to have a solid grasp on budgeting and the design process. He's had some trouble with artists flaking out on him, but he solved the problem rather than giving up. I'd be willing to bet that the project will be successfully completed.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I've backed a lot of Kickstarters, both for video game and non-video game projects, and I've generally had pretty good luck with them. So far nobody has run off with my money, although there was a graphic novel that was around a year late, and a pencil & paper RPG book that's getting close to half a year late... I've backed a few games that are running late, but they at least post updates regularly, so I'm not too worried about them.

I think Kickstarter is great for experienced developers who don't want to be beholden to a contract with a publisher and for people producing physical products who have already done a lot of work but lack the resources to mass produce things. The two things I look for are people who already have experience in their industry and projects that already have a functional prototype; they generally know what they're getting into. Projects that are just an idea and a plan from somebody who has no real world experience are generally going to fail.

Not really backing on kickstarter (it was on IndieGogo), but I pre-ordered Eternal Eden in February 2013 when it was said to be released in March 2013 and it has yet to be released.
    Though I'm around on the game's forums and see that Elder is actually working on it and he is near starvation because he has no more money left and refuses to accept help from anyone. So it's either the game being released or he dying, whatever comes first.

The correct answer is: I refuse to support them.

The traditional model works: Make game, sell game. If game sells, make the next game; if game doesn't sell, find new line of work.
    But you shouldn't think about it like that. Instead, consider gaming from your perspective:

Cost: Full-release game is likely cheaper (sometimes not)
    Bugs: Full-release game has less bugs
    Risk: Full-release game has less risk - you get the game when the dev gets your money

What advantages do programs like Kickstarter, IndieGogo and Early Access have for you as a gamer? Not a lot. For most people, it makes more sense to not participate in these programs.

Also, you shouldn't pre-order your games. The only reason to do so is: You want to support the developer or publisher. A game could be bad. Any game. It's best to consider reviews before purchasing - these are not generally available prior to the game's release.

It's also best not to buy games in the release month (the four weeks after release day) to ensure full information. Publishers manipulate information, but their ability to do so after release day is more limited. After release day, people are free to say a game is bad.

You shouldn't pre-order big games that there's no doubt will sell. You SHOULD pre-order small niche games that often NEED pre-orders to prove they deserve shelf space. Otherwise, don't piss and moan when those games become digital only