Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RPGamer Mailbag Thread

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar

The RPGamer Mailbag Thread

Ask your questions, or post your rants and other commentaries for use in the RPGamer Mailbag.

[ Latest Column ]
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 03-21-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: New Update

what is the mailbag? Replacement for the Q&A thread?

if so, maybe i can ask questions? I like asking things.

Have you ever sold some stuff from your gaming collection to pay for other things? Maybe new computers or heat in the winter time. Whatever you needed!

What is your favourite gaming trilogy?

Is there an RPG that could use a prequel that has never received one?

Mechs, mecha, giant robots. Last game played revolving around them?

More things should be like the Deluxe Vault Hunter Edition of Borderlands 2 and include bobbleheads as a goodie. Agree or disagree?

Notable bobbleheads in gaming other than Fallout? Can you collect them in real life?

How would you go about creating a horror RPG? Setting? Main character? Final boss?

what video game food do you wish was real?

Those are questions. Now, rants or other commentaries will come again when I'm sufficiently bored. You be warned!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Huzzah!! Question time!

What is your favorite SNES RPG?

Favorite Western RPG?

Would you know what to do with yourself if a Japanese developer could so closely approximate a Western style RPG that you couldn't tell the difference between the two?

Can I ask questions every week?

Favorite video game trope found in an RPG?
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

Whells I jsut want to say I love the way you replied to the dude who wrote you in all caps
    27 years of gaming and still going strong

and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Why do they release games on Tuesday? I understand that everyone hates Mondays, but why Tuesdays? I mean, Tuesday's great, but Friday never hesitates! And Friday releases would give people all weekend to play their new game!
    Last edited by rpglady; 02-08-2014 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpglady View Post
    Why do they release games on Tuesday? I understand that everyone hates Mondays, but why Tuesdays? I mean, Tuesday's great, but Friday never hesitates! And Friday releases would give people all weekend to play their new game!
    Actually now it's almost doesn't matter. Was talking to guys at Gamestop and Nintendo used to release Sundays and Thursdays however Bravely Default is on a Friday
    27 years of gaming and still going strong

and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by rpglady View Post
    Firstly, +1 Cure quote. Secondly, I can answer that as I used to work in a physical media store. DVDs, CDs and Games are released on Tuesdays for several reasons. Sales Figures are released on Monday. Consumers have a base day that they know when to look for new releases. If a Tuesday release is selling well, there still is time to order more before the weekend. Shipments of CDs, DVDs and street dated games usually begin to arrive in stores on Thursday. That gives the stores time to coordinate special midnight sales on Monday evening, as opposed to Sunday night going into the new week.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Frozenbabylon; 02-09-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    That's how it works in America at least. In Europe games are almost always released on Friday. Although it is a case of games being different to other media; DVDs/Blu-Rays and music albums are pretty much always released here on Monday.
    "Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    i approve of this new format.

[enter obligatory kirby question here]

What tee shirt graphic do you think would translate into the best video game? Don't pick a graphic about an already existing video game, of course.

what is the worst weather your area will have where you will still go to work/school/other obligations?

do you miss the days of physical strategy guides being worth buying (ie- before the internet took off)?

are there any characters in games that aren't main characters or even really important ones that you think are interesting enough to have their own spin off?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    A very cool opportunity to fill in for Wheels. Thanks to all who provided questions over Twitter.
    http://punctualdork.com/

(Since I'm late to the game on the forums) I have been going through the RPG Backtracks and keep hearing them talk about RPG Sanctium. What is that show? And what happened to it?

Why does RPGamer not cover indie games?

Who do you like to listen/talk to on RPG Backtrack?

What genre of games do you like to play outside of RPGs?
    If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

How often do your sinuses bother you? Do you get pain or headaches often?

what is the next cool robot based game that is coming out (Titanfall doesn't count)?

What's the longest you'll go without a shower?

What RPGs come/came out this year that are currently on your 'buy when cheaper' list?

what company have you not heard a lot from so far this year that you're expecting to announce something great?

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Honestly, it's almost entirely the hub-based design that I prefer. I dealt with it for a while but once i got to Old Town the game got too annoying. There are lengthy and irritating zones in Demon's Souls, yes (5-2 comes to mind), but at least in Demon's Souls, if an area is pissing you off, you can go somewhere else without having to backtrack through a dozen other areas. If bonfire fast travel had been available from the very start, I probably would have finished Dark Souls (and probably would have liked it more, too.) If they make bonfire fast travel available in Dark Souls 2 from the get-go, maybe it'll be able to surpass Demon's Souls for me. Crossing my fingers on that one.

Love that song btw
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

You can teleport from the get-go in Dark Souls 2.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You can teleport from the get-go in Dark Souls 2.
    I've heard that, so I'm excited to give it a shot. Gotta finish Hundred Knight first though.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Nobody's gonna answer my questions? You're all twitter and no lolwhoops.

As for Dragon Quest, I'm dying for it to come out. In fact, I own Dragon Quest 7 on the PS1 and I got about 30 hours into it. However, I moved and hadn't picked it back up because by the time I found it again I already forgot where I was in it and wasn't eager to spend those 30 hours getting back up to like level 10. I'm missing a piece of map and I have no idea where I've already looked and going through the whole world in hopes of finding it seems like a drag. I would welcome a remake on my 3DS because I play that all the time and I heard it trimmed the fat and made it less ridiculously stretched out. I got every remake on the DS and pretty much every DQ game since 8, so it's a sure buy for me. I just wish it would have some announcement about it, even if it's a ways off or something. Nintendo should want to keep the high quality gaming flow up for this year to follow a stellar 3DS 2013. Right?

Does anyone other than me want to play more Medabots? Or maybe Little Battlers? Or the PS3 Super Robot Wars OG? Why isn't there some kind of Operation Robots group out there petitioning to get me some Robot RPGs? I would stand behind that movement.

Here's one for the old noggin: What is your favourite 50+ hour RPG? Like one that has a story that lasts 50 hours, not that you can just play for 50 hours. Can you think of one? Good. Okay, now take that game and make it 20 hours of story but still worth playing. Which game, how would you compress it, what are the reasons for removing or keeping certain parts? Leaving out any notable characters?

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    Nobody's gonna answer my questions? You're all twitter and no lolwhoops.
    whattttttt

http://rpgamer.com/mailbag/2014/feb/...g02212014.html

I'll get to these soon too!

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    How often do your sinuses bother you? Do you get pain or headaches often?

what is the next cool robot based game that is coming out (Titanfall doesn't count)?

What's the longest you'll go without a shower?

What RPGs come/came out this year that are currently on your 'buy when cheaper' list?

what company have you not heard a lot from so far this year that you're expecting to announce something great?

I'm thinking about these questions that you are your fill in have thus far ignored!

Hey Wheels, just to clarify, I wasn't mocking the Square Enix MMO's, rather the mobile phone stuff. Mana, that weird FF game with all the cameos, those games.

Still, I stand by my case. Not that I need freshness in my RPG's per sť, just that games nowadays focus entirely on fancy graphics but are basically the same game I played ten years ago, or are hommages in which I case I can appreciate that part but continually push archaic parts as "part of being an rpg" when in fact they were part of the fact that there were technical limitations in play way back when.

It makes sense in my head.

Daniel Brouwer

EDIT: http://rpgamer.com/editor/2014/032414ts.html
    I guess I am not the only one who feels that way.
    Last edited by Daniel36; 03-25-2014 at 03:45 AM.