Thread: RPGCast - Episode 295: "Game of the Year 2013"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 295: "Game of the Year 2013"

RPGCast - Episode 295: "Game of the Year 2013"

Some things are better late than never. Adriaan, Glenn, Alex, Sam, and Chris talk Games of the Year. At least, that's the idea, but I think we get derailed into "How to save Nintendo" talk at some point.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/295

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Game of the Year 2013"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    RPG Cast Awards

The Backtrack award - The best RPG from before 2013 you finally got around to playing for the first time
    Chris - Borderlands 2
    Sam - Alpha Protocol (she got obsessed with it)
    Glenn - Tales of Graces f
    Adriaan - Recettear (the store part not the dungeons)
    Alex - The Witcher 2
    Winner - Everyone wins! (But really Borderlands 2)

Best Dungeon Design
    Glenn - Final Fantasy XIV
    Sam - Atelier Ayesha
    Chris - Pokemon X/Y
    Alex - Dragon’s Dogma and Van Helsing
    Adriaan - Etrian Odyssey Untold and Link Between Worlds
    Winner - Etrian Odyssey Untold

2013 game that was less than the sum of its parts, and how it was held back.
    Chris - Hometown Story
    Sam - Rune Factory 4
    Glenn - SMT IV
    Alex - Tales of Xillia
    Adriaan - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    Winner - Hometown Story and Ni no Kuni

Developer with the Best/Worst Use of GP (Budget)
    Chris - FFXIV
    Glenn - Class of Heroes 2 for mismanaging their kickstarter
    Adriaan - Windwaker HD
    Winner - FFXIV best and worst

Best use of Scooby-Doo plotline in an RPG
    Sam - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    Winner - Ni no Kuni

The "it sucked the first time but I gave it a second shot...and it still sucked!"
    All - Valhalla Knights
    Sam - Venetica and Blood Knights (new glitch every time she played! almost lost her husband)
    Alex - Kingdom Hearts (still painful)
    Winner - Valhalla Knights

Most Painful Dialogue
    Adriaan - Hometown Story “Please, I need wood. You always cut my wood for me.”
    “Jack, I need my wood for this week.”
    Pre-patch Mars War Logs - Awkward conversations about prison rape.
    Alex - Time and Eternity - for the opening conversation. Sam says this convo sucked too: “What’s a three way?” “You don’t know? Let me show you!”
    Sam - Blood Knights - “Let me use my healing abilities” x 6 The voice actors sound bored.
    Winner - Time and Eternity (Winners don’t play these games)

Missed Out Award - The RPG you most wanted to play but didn't
    Chris - Fire Emblem Awakening
    Glenn - Link Between Worlds
    Adriaan - Nothing.
    Alex - SMT IV (Atlus, 3DS, Region Lock == )
    Sam - Ys: Memory of Celceta

Biggest surprise of the year
    Adriaan - Link Between Worlds
    Sam - Dragon Fantasy Book II
    Alex - Agarest was on the top seller list on steam
    Winner - First Agarest game was on the top seller list on steam

The Honorary Sam Marcello “Best Sex Award”
    Sam - Farcry 3 Blood Dragon (phantasy star style comic cutscenes with sexy time motions)
    Glenn - Fire Emblem (werewolf and dragon coupling)
    Dragon’s Crown naked women that you can “poke”
    Adriaan - Saints Row 4 (parodies of Mass Effect - Boss and Kinzie)

Story of the Year
    Adriaan - nothing
    Glenn - Nothing
    Alex - Nothing
    Sam - Atelier Ayesha
    Chris - Shadowrun Retuns
    Winner - The News Story about Trails in the Sky 2 being localized next year.

Biggest Bonehead Move - What was the dumbest thing this year either in an RPG or from the industry or press
    Glenn - Nintendo not reprinting Xenoblade so Gamestop had to use that weird 3rd party reprinter who piked the price
    Sam - Time and Eternity being localized. NIS should know better.
    Adriaan - The obsession with “feminism” this past year in the games media. See: Dragon’s Crown
    Alex - Negativity around the Vita. It actually has games!
    Chris - Microsoft and the Xbox One
    Winner - Feminism

The "Everyone Else is Wrong" award - the RPG that you can't believe people like or dislike (also Most Reviewed Game in hopes you'd believe us and buy it)
    Sam - Ni no Kuni (everyone should think it’s dumb)
    Glenn - SMT IV (on wheel’s behalf) is awesome and everyone else should think so
    Alex - Kingdom Hearts SUCKS
    Chris - Van Helsing is great and people should try it
    Adriaan - Hometown Story (why are there DEFENDERS of this game?)

Most Disappointing Game
    Sam - Ni no Kuni AGAIN / Rune Factory IV
    Alex - Ni no Kuni / Project X-Zone
    Glenn - SMT IV
    Adriaan - Ni no Kuni
    Chris - Didn’t play any disappointing games!
    Winner - Ni no Kuni

Best Overall RPG
    Sam - Fire Emblem (40 hours in a week!)
    Adriaan - Windwaker HD
    Glenn - Fire Emblem
    Chris - Pokémon X/Y
    Alex - Bravely Default (came out in Europe in 2013!)
    Winner - Fire Emblem

Prediction: RPG of 2014 - What game do you think will be the best in 2014
    Glenn - Witcher 3: The Witch Hunt
    Adriaan - Child of Light
    Sam - Child of Light
    Chris - Dark Souls II
    Alex - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Winner - Witcher 3: Witch Hunt

Prediction: Most Over Hyped of 2014- What do you think won't live up the expectations in 2014
    Glenn - South Park: The Stick of Truth
    Sam - South Park: The Stick of Truth
    Chris - Dragon Age Inquisition
    Alex - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Adriaan - Drakengard 3
    Winner - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    Most Disappointing Game
    Called it two years ago.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I approve of Valhalla Knights as worst RPG in general, because damn did 3 just make me not want to play RPGs.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I approve of Valhalla Knights as worst RPG in general, because damn did 3 just make me not want to play RPGs.
    I find after a super bad review game, I always binge on non-RPGs. Weirdly, it's been more shooters than anything else (soooo not like me!)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I find after a super bad review game, I always binge on non-RPGs. Weirdly, it's been more shooters than anything else (soooo not like me!)
    That's actually exactly what I've been doing! Last of Us, Killzone, and Gears of War!

Also SMTIV rules and ya'll be haters
    Last edited by Wheels; 02-10-2014 at 10:01 AM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I still like Ni No Kuni, so pbbt.

The Best Story award made me laugh. I don't even remember if I found three titles to vote for on the official RPGamer ballot in that category.

As for "video game feminism," what I find most ridiculous is the extremely hateful vitriol lobbed at people (particularly women--men usually get off with a "oh, you're just trying to be a white knight," which is a stupid accusation but far nicer than death and rape threats) who dare to critique any videogame from a feminist perspective. You don't have to agree with all feminist video game critique, (we feminists often disagree with each other, and that's a good thing!) but if you find yourself saying horrible things, the problem is you, not the person with whom you disagree.

I hope that the gaming press continues to be aware of feminist issues, but also works on approaching them in a more complex and theoretically sound manner. Honestly, the main desire you'll find on the part of pretty much every female gamer is simply to see the inclusion of female characters where they have previously been absent and a wider diversity of female characters who have a purpose and a goal in game stories beyond being the love interest/sexual object. That's important not just for women but for the growth of the video game genre (just as it is for every artistic genre) as a whole. I like to think it's a pretty reasonable thing to ask for, but it's still something we don't see often enough.

As for me personally, I hope people keep making noise about things like booth babes at E3, issues with sexism and sexual harassment in the workplace in the game industry, and yes, the oversexualization of female characters in a lot of games. It has actually made a difference in that a lot more developers are a lot more cognizant of these issues nowadays. I hope that people who disagree on feminist issues can learn to be more reasonable (as they generally are on these forums, huzzah!) as well.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I think feminism won because the extremists on both sides suck, and couldn't agree more that the discussion needs to happen but be a little less one dimensional. And we need to distinguish between the problem and individuals. Anyone remember the reporter who sent obnoxious sexual messages to a female dev a few months back? Yeah, that wasn't a video game industry issue; that was a drunk ***hole and what industry he happened to work in was completely secondary. It wasn't like when I worked retail I never heard any of this garbage.

I find it kinda obnoxious when people don't understand the internet when talking about getting death and rape threats. The internet is not a nice place, no matter how much you might enjoy being in parts of it. The sooner you realize that people will say and do anything they want when they expect no consequences, the sooner you can live with being remotely noticeable on the web. Most threats on the internet are done for shock value or in hopes of a big reaction from whoever the target is. Calling attention to it is pretty well exactly what they want, probably because they find it fun/funny. Saying that it's more common in the game industry is ridiculous. Anything online, or wherever there is a disconnect between people, is where that type of person lurks.

That said, when you understand that, you can look at the rest and see that there are real issues to discuss about game creation, media, workplace, and the like and the treatment of the sexes. There's always the people who don't want their club to change, but I'd like to think the majority of gamers would rather have cool and interesting, strong characters rather than a shallow grab at a base desire.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    I find it kinda obnoxious when people don't understand the internet when talking about getting death and rape threats. The internet is not a nice place, no matter how much you might enjoy being in parts of it. The sooner you realize that people will say and do anything they want when they expect no consequences, the sooner you can live with being remotely noticeable on the web. Most threats on the internet are done for shock value or in hopes of a big reaction from whoever the target is. Calling attention to it is pretty well exactly what they want, probably because they find it fun/funny. Saying that it's more common in the game industry is ridiculous. Anything online, or wherever there is a disconnect between people, is where that type of person lurks.

That said, when you understand that, you can look at the rest and see that there are real issues to discuss about game creation, media, workplace, and the like and the treatment of the sexes. There's always the people who don't want their club to change, but I'd like to think the majority of gamers would rather have cool and interesting, strong characters rather than a shallow grab at a base desire.
    I just really wish stuff like this didn't happen to be honest. I've had it happen before (and often people calling attention to my gender) and I find it very uncomfortable. I want to believe people know how to behave on the internet, but as you've pointed out, it's not a nice place to be. People want the attention, they crave the drama, I truthfully don't. I generally don't respond to that type of behaviour, or any really. When I post a review, good or bad, I don't except people to agree or disagre with me, but when they do, I always sincerely hope people at least are respective about it. Unfortunately (and it goes both ways) that doesn't happen either.

I say it's more common in the games industry because it's the one I've heard it most vocally happen in (especially to a lot of my female friends, in particular). I also work in children's publishing where when it comes to children's and middle grade fiction, you don't see people screaming death threats at authors, where as with YA you do 100%. It is universal regardless of industry, and I wasn't trying to come across like games are the only case of it. I know better, but if it sounded that way, I apologize. I've been a subject of death threats and hate, and it's something I personally shut down towards and disengage with. At the end of the day, I don't need it, and nor does anyone else regardless of who they are.

i wasn't meaning anyone in particular with my comment, because I'm pretty sure anyone who has put themselves out there to give an opinion has had to wade through the bile of the internet. I actually wish people understood that the people you talk to or comment at on the internet are actual people. Even knowing they're all full of crap it doesn't make it ruin your day any less when they leave those comments or emails or what have you.

I think that by now gaming is so deeply intertwined with the internet that it's hard to separate anymore. I just keep thinking that those COD kids screaming profanity and racial slurs, and the adults like them, make up the most vocal and vile sorts of the web. I dunno though, I was raised with the idea that people in general deserve respect or at the least civility.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    i wasn't meaning anyone in particular with my comment, because I'm pretty sure anyone who has put themselves out there to give an opinion has had to wade through the bile of the internet. I actually wish people understood that the people you talk to or comment at on the internet are actual people. Even knowing they're all full of crap it doesn't make it ruin your day any less when they leave those comments or emails or what have you.

I think that by now gaming is so deeply intertwined with the internet that it's hard to separate anymore. I just keep thinking that those COD kids screaming profanity and racial slurs, and the adults like them, make up the most vocal and vile sorts of the web. I dunno though, I was raised with the idea that people in general deserve respect or at the least civility.
    Aw lolwhoops, I'm much like you in the sense that I was raised to respect and be civil towards people as well. I always try to be respectful to people who I meet in my daily life, but I don't know how many countless times I've been left comments that have absolutely crushed my day or killed my mood (both on and offline, when I was teaching that was the worst sometimes). I think you're right in the sense that it's easy to forget they are real people because we hide behind a screen.

Listening to this... I'm finding that I disagree with a bit in the podcast.

So many people say Zelda: LTTP is their favorite, but it is amongst my least favorite Zelda games. I played 1, 2, Link's Awakening, and Oracle/Seasons, then skipped straight to Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. I only played LTTP last year, and I found it quite lackluster compared to the newer games.

The comparison of Dragon Fantasy 1 and 2 saying 2 is better. I preferred DF1, found DF2 to be buggier and less fun. Maybe I'm just odd in that I played Atari and NES, but skipped the SNES generation so my nostalgia for games is different than most people.

Sam's descriptions of the Time and Eternity dialog. From what she recounted, it's almost like we were playing a different game. Sure, he's a horny teenager who occasionally lets his urges take over, and she's a ridiculously sheltered princess character who has no idea about the real world. Though, I'm guessing that most of the dialog she's talking about is what you get if you pick the wrong/perv dialog choice. If you pick the correct choice, he does a better job at masking his hormone overdrive and you can understand why she'd pick him. The writing still is pretty lackluster, in a cheesy anime sort of way. I still put it in the 1.5 to 2/5 range myself. To me, it's like watching a bad anime, or a godzilla movie. Terrible, but entertainingly so.

I still haven't played more than a few hours of Ni No Kuni though. I really need to go back and play that.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Also SMTIV rules and ya'll be haters
    I may have been able to fight back for you, but y'know... :P
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I actually do something similar, but not because I played bad games, just to mix things up so I don't keep playing the same genre repeatedly. I'll play a few RPGs, then I'll toss a non-rpg or two in. I finished FF4 and Atelier Iris 2, and now I've switched over to Killzone: Shadow Fall. Once that's done, I'll continue FF4 Afteryears, and Megaman X Command Mission, then Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition as the cleanser after those.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I think feminism won because the extremists on both sides suck, and couldn't agree more that the discussion needs to happen but be a little less one dimensional. And we need to distinguish between the problem and individuals. Anyone remember the reporter who sent obnoxious sexual messages to a female dev a few months back? Yeah, that wasn't a video game industry issue; that was a drunk ***hole and what industry he happened to work in was completely secondary. It wasn't like when I worked retail I never heard any of this garbage.
    I'm not familiar with that particular story, but I think the institutional problem comes when women working in the games industry are exposed to that kind of bull repeatedly and the prevailing industry culture seems to encourage rather than discourage it. What we learned from #1ReasonWhy is that many (though not all, of course it varies by company) women working in gaming are encountering a thousand small and large incidences of sexism that wear them down. Yes, this happens in other industries, but the numbers issue in gaming makes it worse and there don't seem to be acceptable workplace protections against sexual harassment in many game companies. When enough individual jerks combine to make your workplace/industry feel hostile and unwelcoming to you because of your gender, that's a problem. Especially when anybody who speaks up about the issue is harassed, silenced, and not taken seriously.

Note that I feel the same way when this kind of thing happens to men, as it sometimes does in female-dominated workplaces... but those are incredibly rare in gaming in the first place.

(Not so much an argument here, Paws, since I suspect we in essence agree. )
    Last edited by Ocelot; 02-11-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance